cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Strix x99 Gaming] QCODE 00 over night after several small issues

mulderfox
Level 7
Hi!

I had my new build die on me over night.
I left my PC on for the night, and when I got up I found that it seemed to have been turned off.
Only it wasn't. When I turned it back on, all I got was a momentary power and then shut off.
After another attempt or two, the board would get power and the components too, but there would be no post, and no boot.
All the while, the QCODE alpha-numeric display would only show the numbers 00.
I've searched and found that this issue has happened to others with the same board and other x99 asus boards and may mean faulty board or faulty CPU
- due to a power surge.
I've already replaced the board today, but sadly the issue is still there.
The only change is that there is no more momentary power, but the power starts and stays, but all the rest is the same.
I've concluded that the CPU was fried, and started an RMA process with Intel.
The CPU is a brand new i7-6850k and all the other parts (aside from a couple of mechanical hard drives) were bought at the same time about two and half months ago.
This is an unacceptable issue with a top-of-the-line board from ASUS - especially after two months of use - and especially as it happens in more than one x99 motherboard model.
I am certain the blame is with the board, as I had other small issues with it before:
1. long post time (the time it takes between pressing the power button and till you hear the beep and see anything on the screen)
2. no network connection from within the bios meaning I could not perform a bios update from there.
On previous builds I had, my PC would stay on for months at a time, and in this one the cooling is much better so there is no reason for anything like that to happen,
not to mention that's what thermal (and electrical) protection is there for. power fluctuation is not expected or accepted phenomenon with a high grade gaming motherboard.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? My PSU is also brand new with 750W of power that are more than enough to drive my system, even with the GTX1080 Graphicds card I have
installed.
I am quite worried that replacing the CPU might not help even with the replaced motherboard.. what would I do then?
77 REPLIES 77

I also had the same issue, error code reported 00 and red CPU error led was on. System would not POST. I took it to a local repair shop that swapped the CPU under Intel’s warranty however after reading what everyone else is saying, I am concerned for this CPU too as it appears to be a problem with the mobo.

Specs:
CPU: 6800K (overclocked to 4ghz, 40x multiplier)
Cooler: Corsair H110i
Mobo: Asus Strix X99 (BIOS was 1201 when things went wrong, currently is 1401)
Ram: 32gb Ripjaw V
Video: 2x EVGA 980ti FTW
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 p2
HDD: 512gb Samsung 950 pro + 5tb WD black

After reading the reports of others who experienced the same identical issue as mine, I contacted Asus Singapore again to update them and ask for their input regarding this major issue. I also think the the high number of bios updates since the board has been released shows that they are actually aware that there is something seriously wrong - maybe at the design level.
For now, this information will be passed on to the engineers and I will wait for an update as to how they wish to proceed.
If a recall is needed, than that's what they should do. I really hope they'll find a good solution because I rather not re-install my system from scratch because of their own hardware design issues, nor do I wish to start any more RMA processes.

mulderfox wrote:
After reading the reports of others who experienced the same identical issue as mine, I contacted Asus Singapore again to update them and ask for their input regarding this major issue. I also think the the high number of bios updates since the board has been released shows that they are actually aware that there is something seriously wrong - maybe at the design level.
For now, this information will be passed on to the engineers and I will wait for an update as to how they wish to proceed.
If a recall is needed, than that's what they should do. I really hope they'll find a good solution because I rather not re-install my system from scratch because of their own hardware design issues, nor do I wish to start any more RMA processes.

Agreed on all fronts and thanks for the extra effort. Very appreciated.

Nate152
Code 00 doesn't always mean a blown cpu or faulty motherboard or psu, random code 00 can be caused by ram instability which you will need to adjust the cpu vccio voltage and cpu system agent voltage and possibly the Dram voltage.

mulderfox
Level 7
Another update in this un-ending saga:
Woke up this morning to the PC not booting up, with the Q-Code "bd" - which pointed to a RAM issue (no change was made to the PC since it's been replaced and installed).
I tried all kind of things, and managed to boot with half of my RAM detected. Of course that won't do, so I started testing slot by slot, and found that two slots would not let me detect any sticks inserted in them (B1, and B2). So for now I can see all four sticks of RAM, but in Triple channel instead of Quad.
I've informed Asus, and asked to have the board replaced with a different model due to the circumstances being that I've had issues with this model ever since I bought it..
I'll keep you updated. Any recommendation as to which model to pick - if they'll oblige me?

mulderfox
Level 7
By the way, I went on newegg.com to look at a better candidate and it seems that the strix x99 gaming is not the only x99 motherboard with issues - it's actually a prevalent thing with almost if not all of Asus X99 offerings. So again, is there any recommendation for another asus x99 board that won't give me these issues?
thanks.

mulderfox
Level 7
A second update: This morning I had a feeling, and I moved the RAM module back from A2 to B1 - and lo and behold: the system booted up and recognized all the RAM properly! However, it still does two strange things: the first is a power on for a few seconds, then power off, and then re-power and boot. The second is that the bios loses some settings (AHCI and rapid technology) each time I go into it. But it's not the battery - since it maintains the system time correctly. these two issues persisted through all the Bios update cycles. It also cannot connect to the internet - wired or wireless from inside the bios.

mulderfox
Level 7
So latest update: pending on testing (latest issue was getting blue screens after the latest windows 10 cumulative update caused any storage device connected to my USB ports to result in BSOD) of my RAM which at home with memtest86 caused a freeze at 14% - whether 4 RAM modules or one was used - Asus is willing to replace my board. currently the available options are:
1. X99-A II
2. Strix X99 gaming
3. SABERTOOTH X99 (though I'll have to add 30 s$ to make for the cost difference)

Any recommendations? thanks.

mulderfox
Level 7
Another Update: updating bios version to 1701 resolved the memtest86 issue, but on first reboot (after setting the bios to AHCI as it should be for my system) - windows 10 froze on boot screen. Then I set it to RAID, and it booted with a blue screen (as it should since its installed with AHCI). Then I set it back again to AHCI, and it prompted automatic repair and after the third reboot, booted correctly into windows..
So for now, no motherboard replacement.. but also no need to re-install the whole thing.

xkm121
Level 7
Adding another dead 6950X to the ASUS killing list. This time it is a TUF Sabertooth X99 that did the killing. My CPU is 2nd hand so there goes all money spent. Now we can confirm this happens to the entire ASUS X99 line up