cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Strix x99 Gaming] QCODE 00 over night after several small issues

mulderfox
Level 7
Hi!

I had my new build die on me over night.
I left my PC on for the night, and when I got up I found that it seemed to have been turned off.
Only it wasn't. When I turned it back on, all I got was a momentary power and then shut off.
After another attempt or two, the board would get power and the components too, but there would be no post, and no boot.
All the while, the QCODE alpha-numeric display would only show the numbers 00.
I've searched and found that this issue has happened to others with the same board and other x99 asus boards and may mean faulty board or faulty CPU
- due to a power surge.
I've already replaced the board today, but sadly the issue is still there.
The only change is that there is no more momentary power, but the power starts and stays, but all the rest is the same.
I've concluded that the CPU was fried, and started an RMA process with Intel.
The CPU is a brand new i7-6850k and all the other parts (aside from a couple of mechanical hard drives) were bought at the same time about two and half months ago.
This is an unacceptable issue with a top-of-the-line board from ASUS - especially after two months of use - and especially as it happens in more than one x99 motherboard model.
I am certain the blame is with the board, as I had other small issues with it before:
1. long post time (the time it takes between pressing the power button and till you hear the beep and see anything on the screen)
2. no network connection from within the bios meaning I could not perform a bios update from there.
On previous builds I had, my PC would stay on for months at a time, and in this one the cooling is much better so there is no reason for anything like that to happen,
not to mention that's what thermal (and electrical) protection is there for. power fluctuation is not expected or accepted phenomenon with a high grade gaming motherboard.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? My PSU is also brand new with 750W of power that are more than enough to drive my system, even with the GTX1080 Graphicds card I have
installed.
I am quite worried that replacing the CPU might not help even with the replaced motherboard.. what would I do then?
77 REPLIES 77

So running at 6900k on X99 Strix with a 1.35Vcore at 4.3Ghz and in the middle of playing BF1 it shut down not to ever be turned back on again...

Sorry to necro thread, but this seems like a serious issue. This is my last Asus board. Although, my Deluxe was a heavy hitter before I upgraded. I'm going to EVGA or Gigabyte from here on out.

EDIT: Motherboard is fine. Tried an older (and very trusty) EVGA PSU and it fired right up... Had just bought a new Corsair AX1200i and it was evidently a dud... Just very happy it didn't take out anything else with it. Everything looks to be pretty good.

onmybikedrunk wrote:
So running at 6900k on X99 Strix with a 1.35Vcore at 4.3Ghz and in the middle of playing BF1 it shut down not to ever be turned back on again...

Sorry to necro thread, but this seems like a serious issue. This is my last Asus board. Although, my Deluxe was a heavy hitter before I upgraded. I'm going to EVGA or Gigabyte from here on out.

EDIT: Motherboard is fine. Tried an older (and very trusty) EVGA PSU and it fired right up... Had just bought a new Corsair AX1200i and it was evidently a dud... Just very happy it didn't take out anything else with it. Everything looks to be pretty good.

Strange. Was it powering up at all or absolutely nothing?

Same issues on Deluxe II, made other threads about this and video here.

It appears my CPU is dead, or 2x Asus Deluxe II motherboards, hard to tell.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91443-Asus-Deluxe-II-problem-Dead-CPU

Wow... I just found this topic now... i made one too, 6900k and strix x99.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?91339-Strix-X99-die-after-BIOS-update-1401
I even made a youtube video of what happens after all the tries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkNZIiYJ0I

I send the 6900k to RMA, should arrive this weak the new one, but now i am afraid to turn that strix X99 on... Maybe is better just to deal with the loss and get a new gigabyte mobo, and be sure to have a stable system, i work with this computer, having a dead computer can be a huge pain in my pocket.

Amazing...
I take some time to read reviews from people who got this x99 strix and other asus x99.
On reddit i see people that get RMA for 4 times already.
In Newsegg 44% of the review are because the board fried the CPU and die in the process, 44%!!!
Here a lot of people too, even a guy that was making a review of some X99 from Asus have this problem too, and took months to someone tell him what's happen.

I giveup Asus now, i will get a Gigabyte, but really??? No word from Asus about that??? I read the comments that Asus put on the reviews on newsegg, is a joke, always the same, sorry to hear blablablabla check the power blablabla...

onmybikedrunk wrote:

Just a note on what you said: I did suspect the PSU, but since after my board was replaced on warranty (thanks to a kind lady at Asus Asia - as usually they send a faulty board to taiwan to be repaired), Everything works fine (knock on wood) - so for me it doesn't seem to be the culprit.. just the Motherboard is. However, I am not planning on any overclocking with this board, since I really rather not risk it.
Conclusion: Read. A lot. Before you assemble a system - especially about possible issues with any of your chosen components. It might save you plenty of headaches along the way. And Asus do recognize there is an issue - hence the relatively frequent bios updates (just had a look and one was posted just 21 days ago: Version 1504 ; Description STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504 ; 1.Improve system performance ; 2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status. ; 3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues.)
And, I suspect that Asus will either do a 1.x version of the PCB or try to switch to a new generation.
One more thing: Have you noticed any issues accessing online bios update from the Bios interface? I cannot seem to be able to connect properly. Wired - no connection, and Wireless - connects but cannot communicate with the update server. Inside windows there are no connection issues.

mulderfox wrote:
Just a note on what you said: I did suspect the PSU, but since after my board was replaced on warranty (thanks to a kind lady at Asus Asia - as usually they send a faulty board to taiwan to be repaired), Everything works fine (knock on wood) - so for me it doesn't seem to be the culprit.. just the Motherboard is. However, I am not planning on any overclocking with this board, since I really rather not risk it.
Conclusion: Read. A lot. Before you assemble a system - especially about possible issues with any of your chosen components. It might save you plenty of headaches along the way. And Asus do recognize there is an issue - hence the relatively frequent bios updates (just had a look and one was posted just 21 days ago: Version 1504 ; Description STRIX X99 GAMING BIOS 1504 ; 1.Improve system performance ; 2.Add in turn-off function of LED under S3/S4/S5 status. ; 3.Fixed Samsung device (SM961, printer) issues.)
And, I suspect that Asus will either do a 1.x version of the PCB or try to switch to a new generation.
One more thing: Have you noticed any issues accessing online bios update from the Bios interface? I cannot seem to be able to connect properly. Wired - no connection, and Wireless - connects but cannot communicate with the update server. Inside windows there are no connection issues.

Nice to hear that Asus in Asia is very different that Asus here (i am from Brasil), here they don't even touch the board, we have to deal with the shop only, and the support just suggest stupid things and release no information about problems on that board, i really don't even know why there is a support, for them (here at least) all boards are fine and the user that made something wrong. And the problem is not only on Strix X99, is across all X99 boards... just take a look on newsegg reviews, the only asus board that don't fried the CPU is the Asus X99-E WS, all others have this problem, and is not from now, this is long time, check this
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008
Them look the comments...

So, i send my strix X99 back to the shop, for my luck they don't have any in stock so i will get a refund probably.

Now i just got a gigabyte x99 designare ex, the board are not so fancy like the strix, don't have qcode etc... but i never see a so smooth setup, and have many stuff that are very helpfull in their windows apps, the only real "problem" is the M.2 location, very difficult to acess and do not have a nice air flow.

You know what... x99 strix just killed 2 of my 6850k in just 2 months.

1st - CPU fried in 3 weeks. sent it to RMA, got it back in 2 weeks. then less than a week. another one fried again.

the seller saw this post too and recommend me to take A-II instead.

reinerlee wrote:
You know what... x99 strix just killed 2 of my 6850k in just 2 months.

1st - CPU fried in 3 weeks. sent it to RMA, got it back in 2 weeks. then less than a week. another one fried again.

the seller saw this post too and recommend me to take A-II instead.

Did you get a brand new one in the RMA or a refurbished one? have you done any overclocking whatsoever? which PSU do you use? have you tried replacing it just for testing?

mulderfox wrote:
Did you get a brand new one in the RMA or a refurbished one? have you done any overclocking whatsoever? which PSU do you use? have you tried replacing it just for testing?

Something i don't understand, everyone ask about OC when something goes bad, i don't do OC on my current CPU (6900k), but in my old 4960x i made a nice OC and they keep going for years, stable until today (is my gaming rig). When you check Asus page they put OC abilities as main features, intel charge more for unlocked CPU's, so why all support ask about it?