cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Strix x99 Gaming] QCODE 00 over night after several small issues

mulderfox
Level 7
Hi!

I had my new build die on me over night.
I left my PC on for the night, and when I got up I found that it seemed to have been turned off.
Only it wasn't. When I turned it back on, all I got was a momentary power and then shut off.
After another attempt or two, the board would get power and the components too, but there would be no post, and no boot.
All the while, the QCODE alpha-numeric display would only show the numbers 00.
I've searched and found that this issue has happened to others with the same board and other x99 asus boards and may mean faulty board or faulty CPU
- due to a power surge.
I've already replaced the board today, but sadly the issue is still there.
The only change is that there is no more momentary power, but the power starts and stays, but all the rest is the same.
I've concluded that the CPU was fried, and started an RMA process with Intel.
The CPU is a brand new i7-6850k and all the other parts (aside from a couple of mechanical hard drives) were bought at the same time about two and half months ago.
This is an unacceptable issue with a top-of-the-line board from ASUS - especially after two months of use - and especially as it happens in more than one x99 motherboard model.
I am certain the blame is with the board, as I had other small issues with it before:
1. long post time (the time it takes between pressing the power button and till you hear the beep and see anything on the screen)
2. no network connection from within the bios meaning I could not perform a bios update from there.
On previous builds I had, my PC would stay on for months at a time, and in this one the cooling is much better so there is no reason for anything like that to happen,
not to mention that's what thermal (and electrical) protection is there for. power fluctuation is not expected or accepted phenomenon with a high grade gaming motherboard.

Has anyone else encounter this issue? My PSU is also brand new with 750W of power that are more than enough to drive my system, even with the GTX1080 Graphicds card I have
installed.
I am quite worried that replacing the CPU might not help even with the replaced motherboard.. what would I do then?
77 REPLIES 77

Hello all. New user here and I wanted to give some details on this same exact issue I've just experienced.

About a month and a half after having built this PC, today I come back down stairs after having paused X Files on Netflix only to come to find my PC powered off. I become a bit confused and power it back on. As a few minutes go by with no post and I do some basic troubleshooting, I finally manage get it to post after unplugging all usb devices with an 'overclock failed' message (was at 4.2GHz 1.26v vcore on 6900k), changed bios back to default settings, and 00 qcode again.... (I was on bios version 1201 btw) After that, I could never get it to post again. Tried everything and was just faced with the good 'ol 00.

Eventually my stomach drops in horror as I come to the realization that all the 1 egg reviews on Newegg should have been the sign to follow. But being the faithful ASUS buyer I've been for the literal past 8 motherboards I've owned (only this is the 2nd board having an issue) I figured why not and took the leap of faith because of my loyalty to ASUS.

Looks like I'm having to send back my now fried 6900k and STRIX X99 ROG motherboard back to Newegg. Wonderful use of time :)... But it looks like this motherboard is just bad luck period.

Hi

Well had The same problem myself. CPU died 6850k ...Motherboard was fine and are now been running 3 months whit new cpu

Butt i startet to wonder what did the killing

So i did a test . Bought 4xStrix X99 and 3x6850k and one 5820k Im not lying on this one has receipt on it

Follow thing found was

BIOS 0401 When running stock makes cpu vcore go up to 1.62 volt stuff tatt makes this happen easy web surfing
BIOS 0601 Does the same has 0401
BIOS 0801 First that dident do it, working fine - Cons bad overlocker , has not the issue as 0401/0601
BIOS 1003 Better when overlockering has not the issue as 0401/0601
BIOS 1101 Havent testet
BIOS 1201 Has Problem as 0401/0601
BIOS 1301 / BIOS 1401 currently testing 1401 No problem

Was cinda hard to find the problem but all the motherboard whit bios 0401 and 0601 Did the same . sems the clueprint is Adaptive mode and bad bios design

I no longer have the extra cpu and motherboards due had to return it before 45 days

Im sorry for bad english and this messy talking

Gonzor3 wrote:
Hi

Well had The same problem myself. CPU died 6850k ...Motherboard was fine and are now been running 3 months whit new cpu

Butt i startet to wonder what did the killing

So i did a test . Bought 4xStrix X99 and 3x6850k and one 5820k Im not lying on this one has receipt on it

Follow thing found was

BIOS 0401 When running stock makes cpu vcore go up to 1.62 volt stuff tatt makes this happen easy web surfing
BIOS 0601 Does the same has 0401
BIOS 0801 First that dident do it, working fine - Cons bad overlocker , has not the issue as 0401/0601
BIOS 1003 Better when overlockering has not the issue as 0401/0601
BIOS 1101 Havent testet
BIOS 1201 Has Problem as 0401/0601
BIOS 1301 / BIOS 1401 currently testing 1401 No problem

Was cinda hard to find the problem but all the motherboard whit bios 0401 and 0601 Did the same . sems the clueprint is Adaptive mode and bad bios design

I no longer have the extra cpu and motherboards due had to return it before 45 days

Im sorry for bad english and this messy talking

Thanks for the info and length you went to test the boards. Really disappointing to have everything set up working just fine to coming back to a dead CPU...

Good, I had the same problem my strix burned my 5820k, luckily I could do rma of the strix and the 5820k, it's a bad product that comes out defective.

I suspect I'm having the same issue. Just had a very random and abrupt shutdown while doing basic use.
I'm running BIOS 1401
i7 6800k at 4.2ghz with everything on auto
3200gb ram at 1.35v

Tried to restart and got 00 Qcode. Cycled the PSU and it started back up.

MrAirj wrote:
I suspect I'm having the same issue. Just had a very random and abrupt shutdown while doing basic use.
I'm running BIOS 1401
i7 6800k at 4.2ghz with everything on auto
3200gb ram at 1.35v

Tried to restart and got 00 Qcode. Cycled the PSU and it started back up.

Bios 1401 has not the plauge .

I suspect to low Vcore sins your doing 4.2 stock volt .

Gonzor3 wrote:
Bios 1401 has not the plauge .

I suspect to low Vcore sins your doing 4.2 stock volt .

You should know that Auto will not give it stock voltage. So your suspicion is wrong.*

I had problems with the bios 1401, the profile xmp gave blue screen, right now running the bios 1301 and for the moment everything OK.

Hi everyone,

I also strongly suspect there's something wrong with this motherboard. I have two almost identical systems:

Intel i7-6800k
ASUS X99 Strix Bios 1301 on system #1
ASUS X99 Strix Bios 0401 on system #2
G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZ 2 sets totalling 32GB
EVGA 1000 PS
H100i on system #1
Hyper 212+ on system #2

System #2 which was not overclocked died suddenly while on desktop in late August 2016. Symptoms were as described in this thread (power for 1 second, fans spin for 1 second, Q-code LED 00, turns off, repeats endlessly until I flip the PSU switch). I did everything I could possibly do in terms of diagnostics (CMOS clear, 1 memory stick in different slots, no video card, no storage, system on cardboard so there's no grounding issue) I took out the i7-6800k from system #1 and put it in system #2 and it booted just fine. Got the i7-6800k RMAed and it's currently running fine.

Fast forward to this week, the i7-6800k in system #1 died suddenly while on desktop. It was modestly overclocked at 4.0GHz at ~1.23V. It exhibits the exact same symptoms as previously described and I'm on my second RMA with Intel.

I'm surprised to find so many other people experiencing the same exact symptoms after reading this thread - which leads me to believe something is killing the CPU and the common link seems to be the X99 Strix.

Hello Guys,

I am from Brazil and I bought a similat kit last month, so let me tell you the history of events:

I bought:

i7 6800k
4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LED 3000Mhz
Corsair H110i GT
ASUS X99 Strix
Corsair RM850x
ASUS GTX 1080 O8G

the rest doesn't matter

1. After the first assembly at the first boot attempt, I got the same issues as described: System was energyzed, I turned on, during the POST, went 2 times, took almost 3 minutos to give the image, with the message overclocking failed, etc, so I did a clear CMOS, same issues so I realized that the XMP was activated. Did a clear CMOS again, kept XMP activated, on the BIOS I did a basic setup, XMP set correctly my memos up to 3000Mhz, but I let the processor at the stock speed for now, no changes.

2. After 3 days using when I tried to turn on, the CPU was not booting up, I could see the mobo energyzed because of all the leds, etc, but no post, anything. I scratched my head and found with no options because I didn`t have friends with a setup like this or someone close. I sent my kit to the distributor, so after some tests the found out issues with 2 clips of memory, they replaced and sent me back. I put all together and when I tried to turn on, same thing, so I put another PSU and the system started to boot again.

3. The final amount of my dilema was: For no reason 2 clips of ram and my psu went down in a weird way, coz the psu was feeding the modo (all leds on) but no boot.

4. PC is back online, but for some reason if I go to the BIOS to change something I usually got stuck with code 09 (start setup).

5. I am afraid if the mobo caused all this trouble.