cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stopped getting Overclocking Failed - Get American Megatrends hang instead

jonstatt
Level 7
This is really weird.

I was getting Overclocking failed on a reboot following a failed OC. It would then say press F1 to go into the BIOS and whatever aspect was OC'd would be back to default.

Now I don't get that. Instead I simply get the American Megatrends logo and nothing else on the screen. If I ctrl-alt-del after this then it will boot normally.

I tried both BIOS 1 and BIOS 2 and it does the same.

This happened I think after 0901 Bios but it still does it if I revert to 0802. Have I knackered something on my MB?
6 REPLIES 6

broncogr
Level 10
Did you try clearing CMOS from the button in the rear?

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS. Then reflash your BIOS.

Thanks for the suggestions broncogr and Chino. I did try this but it didn't help. However I did find a "temporary" cure. I disconnected a bunch of my USB devices and all of a sudden it started saying "Overclocking failed" again. Why the USB polling is affecting that screen I can't work out, and it's the same USB devices I had from day 1! At least I know what is causing it now though....

Grestorn
Level 8
I have the problem you're describing if one of my USB 3 hubs is connected. Once I disconnect it, the display (showing me that OC has failed) works correctly.

So you might want to try to disconnect certain USB devices.
Intel 12900K - Asus Maximus z690 Formula - 2x16 GB G.Skill DDR5 6000/36 - PNY RTX 3090
Acer Predator x27 - Thermaltake Core P5 - Corsair HX850i
-> Bilder und weitere Details <-

Grestorn wrote:
I have the problem you're describing if one of my USB 3 hubs is connected. Once I disconnect it, the display (showing me that OC has failed) works correctly.

So you might want to try to disconnect certain USB devices.

That is exactly what i found! It was a USB 3 hub I disconnected and then the screen appeared correctly again. The weird thing is I had this hub connected from day 1 but it didn't stop working until very recently! It must be a subtle USB polling timing bug.

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey!

Welcome to twilight zone 🙂

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift