Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD compatibility with R5E/u3.1

Level 7
I'm far from being a geek so I need your advice.
I wish to add a SSD to my computer for installing W10 on it, in view of a dual boot with W7 x64 SP1

My config is: (currently running under Win7 SP1 64 bits)
MB: Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 with Bios: 3701
CPU: i7-5960X
32 Gb memory: 4x8Gb modules Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
current SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb (contains Win7 x64)
HDD: WD Black Sata III 3Tb (contains only my own data and software)
GPU: GTX 980Ti 6GB
cooling: Corsair H100i GTX
PSU: Corsair RM750

I've read that M.2 disk drives are up to 5x faster than Sata3 (
I could buy the "Samsung 970 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V7P1T0BW) or the 970 EVO - MZ-V7E1T0BW, if that makes sense.
Or even simpler, Sata drives: the 860 PRO - MZ-76P1T0B/EU or 860 EVO - MZ-76E1T0B/EU

question 1: can I use a M.2 NMVe SSD drive with R5E/U3.1 ? (like the Samsung 970 pro MZ-V7P1T0BW )
question 2: if yes, is it worth the price or should I simply use a Sata3 drive ?
question 3: this question is valid for M.2 and Sata... is it worth buying a Pro version instead of an Evo version ? (I understand that Pro versions have larger TBW)

The price range goes from 168€ for the 860 EVO Sata3 up to 387€ for the 970 pro M.2 NVMe ....

This why I need your advice.

If you need more info please let me know.
Thx !

Level 7
I have a rampage v extreme / u3.1 and windows 10 installed on a samsung 950pro.
I noticed the difference in the loading time of windows and the opening of programs and games when I went from ssd sata 3 to m.2 NVMe.
If you have the money I say go for the best!

Level 10
SSD is best investment if you still didn't upgrade.
Actually now is best if you can use these cheap prices of SATA III SSD for gaming and M.2 NVMe SSD for OS.

Yes you can use 970 PRO and that's best choice now, 1TB off course.
But except that you should order and 1TB Samsung 860 EVO.
It's arround 127$... Can you imagine, 127$ 1TB SSD, I don't know who still didn't bought no reason to wait.

If you don't have money now you can buy 970 EVO 1TB + 860 EVO 1TB.

I will buy for me for Black friday 970 1TB and radiator GTX360 or dual GTS360.

Level 7
Thank you for your time.
I've followed your recommendation: I've ordered a 1Tb 970 Pro and will install it tomorrow