cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SecureBoot + UEFI + TPM 2.0 does not make an "old" PC Windows 11 compliant.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
I got myself a TPM 2.0 module ( SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C ) compatible with the Rampage V Extreme and Intel i7-5960X, but that does not make the PC Windows 11 compliant. Only one more step towards it. There's bound to be some under reported, obscure CPU features, that will get reported as "Your CPU is not Windows 11 compatible" or "Your CPU is too old" when lacking. At the moment TPM 2.0 being a must for Windows 11 compatibility is what tech news sites focus on, distorting the actual situation.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown
18 REPLIES 18

I installed WIndows 11 PRO 22000.176 over my installed Windows 10 without any problems and warnings. No hack was needed.
For the upgrade to Windows 11 i used an Windows 11 ISO.

My System: Intel 6950x, Supermicro TPM2.0 modul, secure boot "on", GPT "on".

madmarc69 wrote:
I installed WIndows 11 PRO 22000.176 over my installed Windows 10 without any problems and warnings. No hack was needed.

Do you by chance know the difference between the 5960x, which is what I have, and the 6950x? Other than mine being Haswell-E and yours being Broadwell-E and a speed difference. I feel like other than TPM, there's something else that might be lacking in my CPU, and I'm wondering if yours might have it.

madmarc69 wrote:

I expect the OS will be running very nice, too. However, unless MS makes its PC Health Check utility CPU agnostic, the final release will not be available via Windows Update, and you will not receive Windows 11 updates.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

xmanrigger wrote:
I am going to step out on a limb to say TPM is little to do with security, but more to do with tracking PCs and usage. There is likely an unique identifier in each TPM chip. Coincidence that this is being implemented the same time as this contrived global crisis?

Call me a nut. But something to think about.

TPM is more about M$ taking back control of their OS. Win 10 you can run un activated for as long as you like. You cant get the free upgrade without a licensed and registered copy and it has to be tied to an M$ account. The TPM requirement makes it where you cant install it on another machine without buying another license. You just have to have TPM enabled, not deployed which leaves a machine signature. All of the cheap reclaimed licenses from decommissioned machines is a thing of the past as is running it not activated and not tied to an M$ account.

Personally Doesnt bother me. Every machine I have has a proper license. I find it a bit humorous when people drop some big $$ on a machine then want the OS free. There is a free option, its called Linux. Then theres the final option to one up Bill Gates and set out on your own venture and get busy coding a brand new OS that can be marketed and make billions like Billy Boy did. Wont be an easy task as every version takes something from the last. Ive run every version since its inception having started with DOS before windows was a thing. Had a batch file that loaded at start up that filled my screen with buttons. Want to launch anything off that monstrous 40MB HDD (yes after floppys where you put in the floppy then turn it on and it launched what was on the floppy). Then I was the big kid in town when I upgraded to a 14.4K modem and a 500MB HDD and win1 was born which didnt do much more than what I already had with the buttons batch. It was version 3.1 before it started to take shape. Then we had the total fails of Window Me and Vista. Best one every IMO that Id still be running if I could get driver support was Win server 2K. It was lean with very good performance.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
I've asked Microsoft Support repeatedly, publicly and privately on Twitter, to please tell me what Windows 11 requires that compatible CPUs have and older CPUs like mine lack. They say they've been discussing my situation, yet will not or cannot give a straight answer. They instead reply with links to webpages that provide no answer, such as a list of CPUs Microsoft has deemed Windows 11 compatible. I sent a submission to the Feedback Hub as requested by MS Support which, I noticed this morning, has been accepted. I don't expect anything of value from it. Nagging MS when it posts this kind of nonsense https://twitter.com/Walrus_Hal/status/1439469404840812544 is the cheaper option for me at the moment. I'm not inclined to purchase a new motherboard and CPU in the current market environment and when PCIe 4.0 and DDR5 is just around the corner.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
Ahh, well...

CPU compatibility list: http://msft.it/6018XdeJM

Looks like there's nothing in particular missing from our CPUs that Windows 11 requires. I think someone drew a line in the sand as to what CPUs MS will bother to support for Windows 11 at launch. The list may expand to include Haswell and Broadwell, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

ThrashZone
Level 10

ThrashZone wrote:
Hi,
Ezpz way

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-11-tpm-requirement-bypass-it-in-5-minutes.287584/

Ha! I know about that thread. That Fierce Guppy noob is me!

Axle_Grease
Level 7
The good news is that our CPUs along with Intel 8th gen CPUs and newer feature Virtualisation-Based Security. The bad news is game performance takes a substantial hit when enabled on a Haswell CPU which I guess is why it doesn't make Microsoft's Windows 11 CPU compatibility list.

I tested VBS with Cyperpunk 2077 and Battlefield V. In Windows 11 the option is found in Windows Security-->Device Security-->Core Isolation-->Memory Integrity. It can't be enabled until some crusty old incompatible drivers are first removed which includes the driver for the AMDA00 interface, and the Broadcom Bluetooth/wireless drivers. My Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200 drivers are also too old. I bought the TV Card when Windows XP was The One.

Cyberpunk 2077: MI Off = 66 - 77 FPS, MI On = 47 - 53 FPS
Battlefield V: MI Off = 190 - 206 FPS, MI On = 159 - 191 FPS