cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE10 X99 PCIe Lane Distribution

MiRai
Level 8
I recently purchased the Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard, and I'm looking to add a few M.2 drives to it along with two GPUs. Here's what I'm thinking of doing with the PCIe slot configuration:

PCIE8x_1 GPU 1 PCIe 3.0 8x
PCIE8x_2 M.2 PCIe 3.0 4x RAID 1 w/ PCIE8x_4
PCIE8x_3 GPU 2 PCIe 3.0 8x
PCIE8x_4 M.2 PCIe 3.0 4x RAID 1 w/ PCIE8x_2

Now, I'm also looking to add an M.2 drive onto the board itself, and upon reading the specifications listed on the site, the on-board M.2 drive will "share bandwidth" from PCIE8x_4.

So, my question is... Should I expect any issues with transfer rates on either M.2 drive if each of them are only capable of using four lanes out of the available eight? Will each PCIe 4x device be dedicated to four of the eight lanes, or will they sometimes trip over each other and cause potential issues?

If it helps answer the question... The CPU has the full 40 PCIe lanes, the on-board M.2 drive will be the system drive, and the two M.2 drives in the PCIe slots will be a single games drive in RAID 1.

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Brighttail
Level 11
I have a R5E10. I have a 40 lane CPU. I have run two GPUs in slot 1 & 3 at x16 with one m.2 in the m.2 slot AND one m.2 in the pCI-e slot. No issue UNTIL i try to populate that fourth slot.. then I get a reduction of one of my GUPs to x8.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop

Brighttail wrote:
I have a R5E10. I have a 40 lane CPU. I have run two GPUs in slot 1 & 3 at x16 with one m.2 in the m.2 slot AND one m.2 in the pCI-e slot. No issue UNTIL i try to populate that fourth slot.. then I get a reduction of one of my GUPs to x8.

Well, that's certainly good to hear (I'm okay with GPUs running in 8x). However, I'm still wondering if two 4x devices that share lanes of the same PCIe 8x "slot" will end up tripping over each other, or whether the motherboard will map them to their own dedicated lanes.

EDIT: Removed the part about SLI bridges and clearance, as it was solved and mostly unimportant.

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
If you want to maximize your GPU performance, you shouldn't ditch the HB SLI bridge.

Yeah, upon the research I was doing, two single, ribbon bridges aren't exactly the same as an HB bridge when it comes to high-resolution gaming. However, I did figure out how to keep the current setup and use an HB bridge, so I can probably just remove the bit from my prior post.

I'll be moving forward with the above configuration, and I'll just have to run my own tests to see if there is a problem with two 4x devices sharing the lanes of PCIE8x_4. Even if there is, I can always return some of the hardware and ditch the RAID setup.

Menthol
Level 14
I had a Samsung M.2 (960 Pro) and an Intel 750 1.2 TB in the bottom slot both worked fine at rated speeds, as stated one GPU will be reduced to X8 speed

Menthol wrote:
I had a Samsung M.2 (960 Pro) and an Intel 750 1.2 TB in the bottom slot both worked fine at rated speeds, as stated one GPU will be reduced to X8 speed

Fantastic. Thanks for a second confirmation.