cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE still trouble booting to windows.

bobbagels
Level 7
Hello hello,
I built this machine when the RVE first came out. I have always had some sort of problem booting into windows.

Still, to this day I start er up, bios post's and windows (using windows 7 right now) logo starts, stars start to rotate and just freeze.
Code reads AA.
Then I have to do a restart, (i press restart button on front of case) once windows starts it gives me the "improper shutdown" message and gives me the option to either start normally or repair.
But I cant choose anything because the keyboard (usb Logitech) will not respond at this time. The thing is, sometimes it does, sometimes it dosent. Still cant figure that one out yet.
Once the repair tool runs it tells me it must do a restore. I do the restore and she starts right up and runs like a champ after that.
This is every cold start.
Nothing is OC. Running at stock. However I do have XMP enabled. As previously suggested I have fast boot disabled.
Right now I am using Bios 1401. But it has done this with every bios I had on here as far as I can remember.

I,m not exactly sure where to go from here.
Pls, lend a hand. TY
15 REPLIES 15

Pleot
Level 8
You should try reinstalling the Operating System to sort if it is not a problem of windows corruption - looks like the hardware is not blame in this case to me...

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey,

- Reinstall OS
- Disable XMP
- Install new Bios
- Only connect the necessary stuff in computer (no hubs or audio thingy)

Report back!

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Reinstall OS
- Disable XMP
- Install new Bios
- Only connect the necessary stuff in computer (no hubs or audio thingy)

Ok I can do that, but need an opinion/advice
I am presently running 7 only because I know it so well.
Think I should I upgrade to windows 10 now ? I dont know much about 10 but im thinking maybee now is the time considering the consensus is to reinstall any way ? I use this machine for gaming and I know the game I play will run on 10.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Fast boot in the bios and not the windows option?

GoNz0- wrote:
Fast boot in the bios and not the windows option?

Yes I disabled fast boot in the bios, not any where else

Are you running any overclock?

And if so what have you set in the bios as far as your voltages go, please include if you've tweaked the system agent voltage any etc.

I've not come across AA, I've come across windows hanging on load with AE and that seems to be down to a combo of bios needing tweaks to voltages and certain USB devices on my machine when connected to certain USB hubs.

If you have XMP you might have to work at your systems voltages some to get it stable, for me it was system agent, vcore and input voltage.

No, nothing overclocked. Just XMP is enabled, thats it

GoNz0-
Level 10
turn XMP off then as Asus broke a lot of XMP profiles a while ago, a lot of manual tweaking is needed on some kits that used to work on older BIOS

Pleot
Level 8
I like win 10 a lot, many differences compared to win 7 since you did not go through win 8 but you should be alright with learning curve. Its a very big inconvenience having to reinstall OS but in your case I would bet on it to solve problem since sometimes it boots and other times it does not. Maybe the upgrade process will solve the problem since it will rewrite many files and check many areas. You can go back to old OS if you wish after the upgrade and even reinstall win 10 from scratch if you wish...

ps
Dont forget to uninstall third party anti virus before the upgrade because it can cause trouble, in my case it did, if it was not for acronis true image i would have run into very big problem because of the AV 🙂

ps2
if you suspect you have a virus you should install win 10 from scratch after the upgrade