cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVE Edition 10 - issue after issue, new one is system will not POST, USB issues.

TonyTurbo78
Level 7
Hi guys.

I've had a bit of a torrid time with this board the last month or so, getting to a point now where I'm getting a little frustrated with having problem after problem. I've three major issues after a fresh install on Friday thinking that would solve some of these issues (it didn't)

So the main one now, and the one I need to try and resolve is the fact that the system will not POST. I get the little Asus 10 edition logo but then the system just freezes there. Now, I've been reading around a lot that this fault has to do with having Legacy devices plugged in or the xHCI controller/handoff settings in the bios. I've disabled them all but the system still does not want to boot, just hangs at the POST screen. Only way I can get into Windows, is to unplug my steering wheel, pedals and any other devices. I'm on the latest bios (2101). Is there a way to fix this? I got the latest xHCI driver from the Windows Update Catalogue and updated the Asus USB driver but it hasn't fixed the issue.

The next biggest issue I have is one surrounding (pun intended) my triple screen Nvidia Surround on the sim rig. I have 3 1440p monitors, but every time I reboot the system I have to set up Nvidia Surround again. Now, I know most would say this is a video driver problem, but I've wiped, installed and rolled back drivers by the dozens and none has resolved this issue. I've a 1080ti in this rig, but have two other rigs in my house, both of them have Titan Pascals in them. I've even swapped out the various cards but I get the same issue with all three GPU's. It's even still doing it after the latest fresh Windows 10 install. So wondering if this would be another problem linked to the motherboard.

The last big issue I'm having is that the board refuses to now apply the x42 multi sync all cores I've had set in the bios for years. It will only boost to 4.2ghz on core 4, all the other cores remain stuck on a x35 multiplier. No matter what number I choose, no matter what voltage or overclock settings I tweak, the outcome is always the same. Now, I know where the problem comes from, the Windows updates and the microcode but the latest bios update is so old that it will not resolve this issue. Digging around on the internet it looks as if I can remove a registry file (mcupdate_genuineintel.dll) to fix, but I've just not had the time or the want to try that yet as I have bigger issues.

What a PITA this platform has become. I know it's getting on a bit now, but the amount of problems that are cropping up on this platform now seems so excessive.

I really hope some of you could throw me some ideas on how to fix. I've done so much diagnosing, troubleshooting and fault finding to resolve but it's got to the point now where I need to come in here and ask for advice.

Thanks in advance if you can help.
21 REPLIES 21

PipJones
Level 8
I guess you have it switched on? Give it a try with it switched off, see if you still get crashes? I wonder if that's the golden spanner?

I don't remember the exact reason, but i think it was overclocking related. General advice was not to use it if you're having issues. One more thing to rule out etc.

If I recall, i switched off and many things started behaving better. Such a long time ago now, I just switch it off by default now.

Have a google of "windows 10 fast boot issues", see if you can find a better explanation from a reliable / qualified source. 😉

PipJones wrote:
I guess you have it switched on? Give it a try with it switched off, see if you still get crashes? I wonder if that's the golden spanner?

I don't remember the exact reason, but i think it was overclocking related. General advice was not to use it if you're having issues. One more thing to rule out etc.

If I recall, i switched off and many things started behaving better. Such a long time ago now, I just switch it off by default now.

Have a google of "windows 10 fast boot issues", see if you can find a better explanation from a reliable / qualified source. 😉

So, my powered hub has just come. Hopefully this is a thing of the past, forward to the end and you'll see. https://youtu.be/bKH_K3JGcGs

PipJones
Level 8
FFS. Gutted for you.

I had three main USB issues.

First was with AIDA.

I use a samsung LCD for sensor output. It would work for hours and then hang or drop out. It's very difficult to say it's fixed, but, it hasn't dropped out in while.

I "fixed" it by testing each port in turn and disabling all others in the BIOS.

Second was with Oculus rift. Sensors dropping and thinking they're not USB3.0. This was fixed with a "Sonnet Technologies USB3C-2PM-E Adaptor Card" and connecting the hub you just bought to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0763TPXRL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SYZ4ZMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Third was the Corsair USB headset. It wouldn't work on the hub(s), or plugged into monitor. Bought these and plugged into an onboard header.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AKCFAMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What d'ya think?

PipJones
Level 8
I can't work out if it was an iRacing crash or something else. Was there a windows device unplug bleep?

PipJones wrote:
I can't work out if it was an iRacing crash or something else. Was there a windows device unplug bleep?

So far so good with the powered USB hub. Thanks for the help on YouTube.

PipJones
Level 8
That's brilliant news, even the boot fixed?

Please keep me updated. Really happy to help out another simracer.

I enjoyed the video btw. That's a really good setup you have there. I'm a pCars and VR user myself and just getting into streaming stuff.

PipJones wrote:
That's brilliant news, even the boot fixed?

Please keep me updated. Really happy to help out another simracer.

I enjoyed the video btw. That's a really good setup you have there. I'm a pCars and VR user myself and just getting into streaming stuff.

So far the few times I've turned on the pc boot has been good but think I'll need to test a lot more to know for sure if it's 100% fixed.

Thank you, I love sim racing. I've just bought a Fanatec Clubsport 2.5 and Formula V2 wheel. Can't wait.

PipJones
Level 8
It certainly sounds like a step in the right direction.

I've put Sim Racing to one side while I wait for new GPU to arrive. It's been a month now - and I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms!

PipJones wrote:
It certainly sounds like a step in the right direction.

I've put Sim Racing to one side while I wait for new GPU to arrive. It's been a month now - and I'm starting to have withdrawal symptoms!

Only a week to go now then we find out just how good RDNA2 and big Navi is. If AMD can get within 3080, be priced competively and have stock unlike Nvidias disgusting 30series paper launch, then we the gamer will finally have a gpu launch to get excited about.

PipJones
Level 8
It's a demand issue, not a supply one ...

I'm currently 10th in the queue for a Stix 3080 OC, there's no way I could switch side now!

I have so many conspiracy theories about WTF is going on with stock. From what i can tell, the Asus cards are arriving in 2 or 3 at a time. This seems like a ridiculously low number. Maybe cards are being stockpiled ready for the AMD release, flood the resellers now that the hype machine and low availability has made everyone say "I want one".

Idle minds and all that.