cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 1 GPU at x16 other than 1st slot?

MP7
Level 7
Hello,

My GPU is connected to slot no. 4(pic below) and it's running at x8, is there a way to make it run at x16 if it's not mounted on the 1st slot?

Unfortunately this is the way I've done it, since the GPU is mounted on the outside, and the PCIE x16 riser cable is not long enough to reach slot 1, and I actually like it that way since the cable doesnt have to reach all the way up and be even more visible.
It's no problem buying a longer cable and having it connected to slot 1 but I was wondering if it's possible to run it at x16 from the slot it is currently connected to.
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
What CPU MP7?

You have something in bottom slot too right?

Whatever....x8 PCIe 3.0 you won't notice much difference compared to x16

Going for form over function will have it's costs often 😉

MP7
Level 7
Hey Arne 😉 ,

it's a 5820k, oh in the slot below (x1) there is just a tv card.
True, sometimes it's hard to have function and form together regarding personal taste 😕

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK so I think a 5820 K will do x16 or x16x8 and finally x8x8x8

I guess the 4th slot might do x16 only if there is nothing else in any PCIe slot though I can well imagine not...maybe it's x8 only in any case with that CPU.....but definitely will be x8 if bottom slot is occupied...you could try to remove tv card and see...in the interests of science

MP7
Level 7
Yeah I will try but please note that the tv card is in a x1 slot, the 'bottom' slot(last one) is free

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ah OK...then I guess that slot is x8 with a 5820K