cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Board Comes Tomorrow. What BIOS Do I Flash???

Radeson
Level 7
Hello,

I posted a thread or two about a week ago relating to some problems i was having with my R5E. I ended up sending it back to newegg. Anyways, my replacement board comes tomorrow and im curious as to what bios i should flash. I plan on doing a fresh UEFI install of windows 8.1.

I read the thread about the BIOS issues with the latest BIOS. I already have a flash drive with that version ready for flashing. I'm kinda nervous about flashing it now. But at the same time if the only issue is the BIOS hang time counter in task mngr. then i can pry deal with that.

When I flashed BIOS 1001 it ruined my RAID 0. (at least i think that is what did it) It would say that there was a secure boot error or something when it was supposed to have the windows loading screen and then it would kick me right back into BIOS. I tried to boot override into the raid and it would keep kicking me into Bios. Then i tried to boot override into another windows on a separate HDD and it magically booted me into my Raid 0???

So, long story short, I am nervous about 1001 and the latest version... I am also nervous about installing windows onto a RAID period. Any advice is welcome...
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
hey guy, I'm sure your new board will be a good one this time. 🙂

I would use the bios it comes with and see if you encounter any problems before updating.

Radeson
Level 7
But, I've read in multiple places that it is good to flash the latest BIOS prior to turning it on the first time.

I also just read a post by "Remmer" i think it is that said he just fried his board because he flashed when it wasnt stable.... I am so scared to brick a board i just had to send one in for reasons unknown, ( even though the ASUS customer support said that my board shutting down and rebooting itself 4-5 times on initial start-up was NOT normal) and i really dont want to send another on in...

Guy that fried his board here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Flash BIOS 1001 it's a good stable release use flash back to be safe when flashing this rules out a bad flash if your system isn't running stable for unknown reasons.

Chino
Level 15
See which shipping BIOS your motherboard comes with. If your system is stable with that BIOS, no need to update.

Radeson
Level 7
Flashback is when you use a USB drive with the system off and hold down the ROG button correct??? Sorry I should know this

LiveOrDie
Level 11
People have been reporting broken raid array since bios 802 was released, this problem seems present in most BIOS releases for the RVE, When updating your BIOS in the future best to disconnect your drives frist to be safe.

Yes flashback is done when your system is powered down when using the connect button.

People have been reporting broken raid array since bios 802 was released, this problem seems present in most BIOS releases for the RVE

I have never had this issue-I mean ever on any of the ASUS boards-ASUS is the only board I'll run. Even though unecessary I reset the BIOS first using the reset button on the back I/O and then flash the new BIOS using Flashback, restart, enter BIOS, customize the settings and Bob's your uncle. 🙂
So, really can't comment one way or the other.... 😞
"If you say you can't, then, you probably can't"

danielb
Level 7
Personally I always use the latest bios version, but that's just me. I'm the same for firmwares for all my hardware also.

Bios upgrading is so easy now, I download it, stick it on the root of a drive (any) then boot into the bios select the "EZ Bios Update" menu option in tools, browse for the Bios update file and that's it done. One reboot and you're back in business.