cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V - understanding "BIOS->USB Configuration" (BIOS v3701)

rocafella1978
Level 8

is there anywhere, any place in plain English explained what the USB CONFIGURATION OPTIONS mean and do, enable? disable? what does each do?

- Intel xHCI Mode -> ?
- EHCI Legacy Support -> ?
- xHCI Hand-off -> ?
- EHCI Hand-off -?

searched and searched, but nowhere is an explanation saying what each does, cause and effect, settings / changes, what does it do? USB2.0? USB3.0?

thank you all for your help.
9 REPLIES 9

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) is the host controller for USB devices 2.0 and above. Adjusting the configuration in the UEFI is only necessary if experiencing problems with USB devices that aren't fully xHCI compliant. Personally, I feel the UEFI/manual descriptions are enough to understand what each function does. Most notably, disabling xHCI will force all USB devices to operate in USB 2.0 mode.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
eXtensible Host Controller Interface (xHCI) is the host controller for USB devices 2.0 and above. Adjusting the configuration in the UEFI is only necessary if experiencing problems with USB devices that aren't fully xHCI compliant. Personally, I feel the UEFI/manual descriptions are enough to understand what each function does. Most notably, disabling xHCI will force all USB devices to operate in USB 2.0 mode.

thank you for your help and appreciate it, yes, i had read that in the manual, but i don't understand or can't make out how it all works together or doesn't work together. i have a SimRig (racing simulator) with normal USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices connected, but i can't leave any of my devices (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the ports...because if i leave anything connected the Asus board does NOT boot, just a black screen, or i am lucky it goes past post up and gets stuck on windows loading screen. is there a solution to these problems with USB devices and this motherboard not wanting to boot when left connected to the ports? (and yes,i do disconnect but really not how it is all intended to function and work...)

I had a the exact sam problem with my R5E. My solution was to disconnect the ROG panel. Shut down your computer, disconnect all cables of the ROG panel, turn off your power supple, keep pressing the power button of your computer for 30 seconds, turn on power supply and after that your computer. This solved my problem and it never came back.

At the beginning I also thought that USB might the problem (also racing equiqment with USB 2 and 3) but it was not. So if you have the ROG panel connected, it is worth a try to disconnect it.

Asus-User wrote:
I had a the exact sam problem with my R5E. My solution was to disconnect the ROG panel. Shut down your computer, disconnect all cables of the ROG panel, turn off your power supple, keep pressing the power button of your computer for 30 seconds, turn on power supply and after that your computer. This solved my problem and it never came back.

At the beginning I also thought that USB might the problem (also racing equiqment with USB 2 and 3) but it was not. So if you have the ROG panel connected, it is worth a try to disconnect it.

hi there, thanks for your feedback. i had disconnected all extra (i have 2x RVE boards / PC's) both with identical problems/ regardless of ROG panel connected or not connected, BIOS v.xxxx to 3701 (have NOT tried 3801 yet)

power off/ 30seconds off button, did nothing to be honest -> what is supposed to happen or what does it do when holding 30seconds?

The 30 seconds are only important after you disconnect the ROG panel and switched off your power supply to empy all circuits.

Nevertheless, we have in our family 3 RVE boards and all showed the same behavior that you described as your current problem. I also thought that USB might have been the problem but on all of the 3 computers was the ROG panel responsible for not booting correctly. After disconnecting every ROG panel, everything went smoothly since then.

But there is a tiny thing that makes a big difference. You must disconnect the ROG panel totally. Remove the cables from the board. I made that mistake at the beginning leaving the cables connected to the board but not to the panel.

And another thing, after disconnecting the panel I had to reset the BIOS to sytem default. And all computers are running the BIOS version 1503.

rocafella1978 wrote:
thank you for your help and appreciate it, yes, i had read that in the manual, but i don't understand or can't make out how it all works together or doesn't work together. i have a SimRig (racing simulator) with normal USB2.0 and USB3.0 devices connected, but i can't leave any of my devices (except mouse and keyboard) connected to the ports...because if i leave anything connected the Asus board does NOT boot, just a black screen, or i am lucky it goes past post up and gets stuck on windows loading screen. is there a solution to these problems with USB devices and this motherboard not wanting to boot when left connected to the ports? (and yes,i do disconnect but really not how it is all intended to function and work...)

It's a common issue on the X99 platform because some legacy USB devices aren't compatible with it. The workaround is to disable xHCI at the cost of losing USB 3.0 functionality. Alternatively, you can ask the manufacturer for a firmware update which could solve the problem. If none is provided, you have no choice but to connect the peripherals when you want to use them and disconnect them when they are not in used. Or you can always buy more up-to-date peripherals.

Chino wrote:
It's a common issue on the X99 platform because some legacy USB devices aren't compatible with it. The workaround is to disable xHCI at the cost of losing USB 3.0 functionality. Alternatively, you can ask the manufacturer for a firmware update which could solve the problem. If none is provided, you have no choice but to connect the peripherals when you want to use them and disconnect them when they are not in used. Or you can always buy more up-to-date peripherals.

hi Chino, as always thanks for you reply and input, much appreciate it. xHCI Mode or Hand-Off? disabled?
i have it this way -> see picture (but hasn’t helped, and the peripherals are up to date, the PCB’s are USB3.0, Teensy and Arduino boards).

might be a better idea to change to a Z270 or Z370 board?

this is in my BIOS now -> *72507

pharma
Level 9
rocafella1978 wrote:

is there anywhere, any place in plain English explained what the USB CONFIGURATION OPTIONS mean and do, enable? disable? what does each do?

- Intel xHCI Mode -> ?
- EHCI Legacy Support -> ?
- xHCI Hand-off -> ?
- EHCI Hand-off -?

searched and searched, but nowhere is an explanation saying what each does, cause and effect, settings / changes, what does it do? USB2.0? USB3.0?

thank you all for your help.

You have no problems but just want to play with the settings? I'd leave it at default unless you have issues, but just for reference I'm using 3701and have no problems and have Intel xHCI Mode set at SMART AUTO and other settings at default. Occasionally I have to set it to ENABLED when working pre-Windows boot tasks, ie disk restores, etc.. if I lose the USB connection.

pharma wrote:
You have no problems but just want to play with the settings? I'd leave it at default unless you have issues, but just for reference I'm using 3701and have no problems and have Intel xHCI Mode set at SMART AUTO and other settings at default. Occasionally I have to set it to ENABLED when working pre-Windows boot tasks, ie disk restores, etc.. if I lose the USB connection.

Pharma,
I had a similar issue to what you described. Before installing Win10 on my R5E, my USB3.0 wired mouse and keyboard would exhibit extreme lag and erratic behavior when trying to configure the BIOS settings. Then I set the USB 3.0 controller xHCI from "Smart Auto" to "Enabled" which resulted in normal behavior of mouse and keyboard. Once I installed the OS, I was able to set xHCI back to its default "Smart Auto" and the peripherals worked fine in BIOS. I think installing Win10 had something to do with fixing the problem, but I am not sure and couldn't tell you why. Just glad it works.