cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V strange problem with bsod and freezes

sazistas
Level 7
Hello guys,
I have a problem with my Rampage V. All started by random freezing inside windows. At first I thought that my overclocking wasn't stable enough and started raising the cpu voltage by small steps but this didnt fixed it. Then I reset bios and revert everything at stock. Still the same. After some tries it became worse, I couldn't even boot in windows, it was freezing at the loading logo. I suspected that ram failed and I RMA the ram. When I got back the new sticks of ram after 20 days of waiting I installed them and the system was working perfectly for about a week. Then suddenly at the time I was rendering an animation in 3DS MAX with CPU I got a freeze..... I restarted the system and booted into windows normally and tried to render again and still the same (freeze and bsod). I tested the ram also with memtest86+ but the test completed without any errors. I am going mad now... How can the ram is damaged again? Is any possibility that the motherboard damaging the ram?? I ordered now a new single corsair stick 8gb ram ddr4 (non ecc) from a local store to test it my system. If its working good with the new stick I must RMA again the four 16GB sticks I have. But I am afraid that even I get my hands the replacement sticks the motherboard will fry them as before.
12 REPLIES 12

sazistas
Level 7
I tried also to boot the windows installation from the DVD drive. No luck.... it freezes in the spinning wheel before enter the GUI. So its not a corrupting windows installation. It does the same even with a live ubuntu cd.

sazistas wrote:
I tried also to boot the windows installation from the DVD drive. No luck.... it freezes in the spinning wheel before enter the GUI. So its not a corrupting windows installation. It does the same even with a live ubuntu cd.

hmm, that does indeed sound like a "hardware" issue. I assume you've pulled out as much as you can? Just a video card, keyboard, mouse, usb stick?

Can you swap in another PSU and/or video card?

I'd take the MB out and give it a once-over for bulges, brownspots, drips, etc...

Qwinn
Level 11
As far as your overclock, the only one that's toeing the line on safe is the cache at 1.25v, especially if it never downvolts. I personally wouldn't go over 1.2 on it (and in fact i run mine at 1.1). 1.25v isn't crazy high, but it's not unheard of for it to cause degradation, either, per the Overclock.net forums.

Still, I'd continue to look for other causes, and I agree with cekim, make sure to pull all unnecessary usb devices.