cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V strange problem with bsod and freezes

sazistas
Level 7
Hello guys,
I have a problem with my Rampage V. All started by random freezing inside windows. At first I thought that my overclocking wasn't stable enough and started raising the cpu voltage by small steps but this didnt fixed it. Then I reset bios and revert everything at stock. Still the same. After some tries it became worse, I couldn't even boot in windows, it was freezing at the loading logo. I suspected that ram failed and I RMA the ram. When I got back the new sticks of ram after 20 days of waiting I installed them and the system was working perfectly for about a week. Then suddenly at the time I was rendering an animation in 3DS MAX with CPU I got a freeze..... I restarted the system and booted into windows normally and tried to render again and still the same (freeze and bsod). I tested the ram also with memtest86+ but the test completed without any errors. I am going mad now... How can the ram is damaged again? Is any possibility that the motherboard damaging the ram?? I ordered now a new single corsair stick 8gb ram ddr4 (non ecc) from a local store to test it my system. If its working good with the new stick I must RMA again the four 16GB sticks I have. But I am afraid that even I get my hands the replacement sticks the motherboard will fry them as before.
12 REPLIES 12

Qwinn
Level 11
What Nvidia driver are you using? 364.47 and 364.51 had a LOT of BSOD issues for a lot of people. I stayed with 362.00 which has been very good. They *just* released 364.72, I'm watching their forum thread to see if the issues have been resolved.

EDIT: Looks like there are still some unresolved issues. If you are using anything after 362.00, I recommend downloading DDU if you haven't already, let it completely clean out your currently installed driver, then install 362.00 and stay with it until you hear they've released a safe driver.

The problem is that I cant even boot windows now. I dont think its related to nvidia driver. I tried also ubuntu live cd now and it boots in the GUI but after some seconds the screen freezes . So I am sure its a hardware problem but is the ram or something else? any ideas?

Minsekt
Level 7
do a cmos reset (press the button on the back of the board) and remove all ram sticks and try it with a single stick in the first slot- test each stick if it works or not. also make sure your cpu cooler isnt sitting too tight, maybe some contacts are used twice if it is pressing too much down on the cpu. handtight is enough. what bios version are you on? try the newest 2001 bios if youre on a older version. use usb flashback method to install bios

I have already done a cmos reset and a reflash of the latest bios. I tried all of the memory sticks individually and with every of them I get the same freeze. Now It hangs/freeze even inside BIOS !!!! The cpu cooler is siting perfectly and I have never touch it again from the first time I build my pc. It was working perfectly fine for almost a year now.

Qwinn
Level 11
Ok, what was your previous overclock at? Speeds, voltages (vcore, vinput, vccsa, vcache), etc. Just to make sure nothing was high enough to likely cause degradation over a year period.

sazistas
Level 7
overclock was at 4.5GHZ , vcore at 1.28v (with offset), cpu input voltage at 1.94, vccsa at Auto and vcache at 1.25 with x42 multiplier (min and max). Also I never overclocked the RAM. My cpu seems to be a good sample because in stock it still needs only 0.912 volts to work (when the auto is enabled)
I dont think its related to degradation because the same happened with my previous ram sticks which I RMAed them

smokeintheeye
Level 11
dose windows event viewer say anything when this happens?

Any Reputation is welcome. thanks

Now I cant boot into windows anymore, I can only enter the bios and that's all. Any attempt to load any OS it freezes.

Also the strange is that if I run the memtest86 with a bootable usb it completes without any error!!!

cekim
Level 11
Did you try a fresh install of windows? It seems to have a high probability of corrupting itself during boots if things get unstable. Playing around with clocks, I expect to have to repair and then once things are stable, I reinstall. There are key phases that seem 50/50 on corruption - I have no idea how they screwed it up that badly...