cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme /USB3.1 - USB ports?

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi all, just curious if anyone knows of USB ports acting up on this mainboard or being sensitive in any way?
- problem i have/ or things i notice, i need to unplug all peripheral devices (except mouse + keyboard) from the computer, otherwise it won't start, just gets stuck in the windows loading screen
*** peripheral devices -> any SINGLE ONE or MULTIPLE hardware connections to USB ports: Joystick, Gaming Controller, Steering Wheel, Driving Pedals, Flying Pedals, Button Box, Shifter and etc. any USB that i connect, by itself or multiple devices, to any ports on the mainboard directly (rear side) or front side, 1x port or many port, any port the PC does not want to start, just gets stuck in windows loading screen.

as soon as all USB's are disconnected all works perfectly and windows loads and boots up just fine.

any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

Chino wrote:
A lot of legacy USB devices don't function very well and cause POST issues on the X99 platform.

Dear Chino, disconnect all USB before powering on? is that the solution or is there any other guide/ way to this? thanks for your help as always!

PS: is there anything I can change in the BIOS? xHCI? or EHCI?

Hi All,

This issue is also happening to me. Now, if I use bios 3504 none of my USB devices will charge, if I use bios 3301 all of m,y devices charge without any issues. My devices are 2 Corsair wireless headsets and one corsair SCIMITAR PRO RGB mouse.

I thought it was as well, but each time I change the bios it happens until I go back to 3301.

So, no these are not legacy devices.

I've had the same issue since day 1 of owning this board. System won't post (b1 error) when a PS4 controller is attached. Posts fine as soon as I unplug it. Not all devices cause this. I can leave my mic, keyboard and mouse plugged in.

Have the same usb problems now for over 2 years: I have to unplug all usb connectors (Warthog, rudder, etc.) to boot...if not, Os hangs..Same mb as mentioned..I cannot find a sollution for this as I tried almost all settings in BIOS.
Is there still no solution??

Ok, go to BIOS and disable USB...set to Off....(make sure you connect ps/2 mouse on ps/2 port in case you will have to change some stuff in the BIOS later)

Leave all usb plugged in and start windows.....Now windows will detect all usb ports and not the POST sequence.

Took me 2 years to find out.....:-))

Ardvark wrote:
Ok, go to BIOS and disable USB...set to Off....(make sure you connect ps/2 mouse on ps/2 port in case you will have to change some stuff in the BIOS later)

Leave all usb plugged in and start windows.....Now windows will detect all usb ports and not the POST sequence.

Took me 2 years to find out.....:-))

not sure i understood, what are the steps? completely disable USB??? what do you do to get it to work? can you explain please step by step or maybe even with screenshots please?

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi all, just found out same issues on any Z87 motherboards, and both my X99 boards have the same issues...tried BIOS 1501, 2101 and so on upto 3501 for the Asus RVE. nothing changes on the boot problems/ POST issues, had to disconnect everything then system boots. now thinking of buying active USB hub with power button for all USB devices...just doesn't make sense to me, a board with gazillion USB ports but won't boot/ POST when devices are connected...makes you wonder what they were thinking designing this sort of stuff...

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi all, I have noticed following when I connect to these two USB PORTS, see IO picture, no device is recognized, have I forgotten a USB connector on the motherboard?

if i have forgotten to connect, which one would it be?

with layout?

HI all,
peripherals being plugged in causes the OS not to post, is there a fix for this problem. I've had it since I've owned this motherboard.
I've got a T300RS that doesn't cause any problems but if I have my DS4 plugged in it happens every time. I updated the bios from 2001 to 3504 and I really thought that would solve the problem.

Regards

TSportM
Level 11
hi i also have this problem, did went way on 3301 bios,

https://rog.asus.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=62940&d=1488798742

this 2 ports dont work also on all other bios except 3301

the solution a i found for this is i conect mouse a keyboard on the usb 2.0 ports
and the 4 usb3 that are down from the usb 2.0 on the board i only conect one usb device and other is a good usb hug from tplink that is powered this is the model :

http://www.tp-link.pt/products/details/cat-5688_UH720.html

this way i have no issues hope this helps

cheers
Rig1 - 14900KS - P112 - E88- MC86- Pcore 6.0/6.2/6.3 Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme - Ecores 4.7 - 48GB TForce 7200#64;7400ddr5 - MSI Suprim X RTX 4090@3070mhz - 24gb memory speed - Powerby corsair Ax1500i - Corsair1000d@custom Loop Rig2- 10920X@4.9 - Aorus X299 gaming 9 - gskill 3200@3600 - Zotac RTX 2080Ti - Powerby CM1200 - Noctua NHD15 black - Corsair 900D