cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme /USB3.1 - USB ports?

rocafella1978
Level 8
hi all, just curious if anyone knows of USB ports acting up on this mainboard or being sensitive in any way?
- problem i have/ or things i notice, i need to unplug all peripheral devices (except mouse + keyboard) from the computer, otherwise it won't start, just gets stuck in the windows loading screen
*** peripheral devices -> any SINGLE ONE or MULTIPLE hardware connections to USB ports: Joystick, Gaming Controller, Steering Wheel, Driving Pedals, Flying Pedals, Button Box, Shifter and etc. any USB that i connect, by itself or multiple devices, to any ports on the mainboard directly (rear side) or front side, 1x port or many port, any port the PC does not want to start, just gets stuck in windows loading screen.

as soon as all USB's are disconnected all works perfectly and windows loads and boots up just fine.

any ideas?
22 REPLIES 22

Chino
Level 15
Unfortunately, a lot of legacy USB devices are problematic on the X99 platform. Includes game controllers, pedals, joysticks, etc...

GoatHumper
Level 7
I had a similar issue way-back-when, and it's related to powered USB hubs. As I recall, the fix was to swap out the hub for a different one, and that was the end of that problem.

Another solution is to spend a couple of hours just rebooting while only having certain USB devices connected, to isolate which device causes the problem. Once you've identified the device, then it's an easier issue to handle since you can decide what to do about it.

Of course if the device is the keyboard or mouse, then that's an interesting conundrum in and of itself 🙂

Good luck!

Chinos basicly told you the whole issue.
I've had the RVE & currently RVE ed.10, similar issues.

The RVE usb causing hanging at loading screen was a single USB device. replace device, remove device & only use When already in windows. sorted!

The RVE ed.10 will still load into windows but a single WORKING usb device (asus 7.1 strix headset) wont load all of the time unless plugged unto usb2.0 slot then it would load about 80% of the time.
when in 3.0 it will cause a "device port Error" in device manager (universal serial Bus Controllers) which is an easy fix. Uninstalled "failed Device" > right click on each of the Generic Usb Hub "devices" & update driver>browse my PC for Driver>let me pick>should show the generic usb hub driver in a box just click next, unplug re-plug in device. all working again until you turn off the pc (by turn off its usually turning off the power supply that does it)

Now both of these issues i've done some bios stuff thats worked tempory in the past you could try, since its a simple apply, unapply if it doesnt help. These worked for me, Might not for you.
**In bios turn off EHCI worked (sometimes lets you load it no issues, then reset windows.. issue back, rince repeat until it stops working... (I dont recommend wasting your time personally, but its a "fix" that kinda worked)
**Change run deviced in legacy & UEFI mode to just uefi mode (obviously if running UEFI windows) ,
^^Best fix to load into windows faster/no issues other than failed USB port error, refer earlier in post for How to fix that error.

Gotta be honest altho theres way to fix the issues..... Not happy theres issues with it on Asus boards in the first place That in 2 cases are to do with Asus PRoducts plugged in! (rant over)