cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Not TPM 2.0 Compatible? (Windows 11)

Angstromboli
Level 9
So apparently Windows 11 will require a TPM 2.0 module. Is it true X99 and therefore the Rampage V extreme doesn't support this at all?

Supermicro makes a 20-pin TPM 2.0 module: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOM-TPM-9665V.php

But from my searching it looks like the R5E only supports TPM/FW3.19 which is 1.2, not TPM-L R2.0 which is TPM 2.0?

On the other hand I've seen reviews on Amazon for TPM 2.0 chips where people specifically mention using them on X99 motherboards, so maybe it's down to the motherboard itself. From my understanding, TPM 2.0 is not backwards compatible with TPM 1.2.

EDIT: I decided to just take one for the team and buy one just to see. Specifically I got the "SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C" (V for vertical orientation and C for client, as opposed to server). It probably won't work but whatever. I'll post an update when it arrives. Should be here within a few days, I got the faster shipping.

EDIT2: So the TPM 2.0 module actually worked (model number above). Screenshots in this post below of BIOS and TPM.msc menu: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124610-Rampage-V-Extreme-Not-TPM-2-0-Compatible-(Windows-1...

I'm running the original Rampage V Extreme. You literally just plug it into the slot and it showed up in the bios as shown, and Windows accepted it, zero configuration required, didn't even have to enable it.

EDIT3: To be clear, even though the TPM 2.0 module works with the motherboard, the PC Health Check app still says my computer is NOT compatible with Windows 11 because the processor isn't supported. It's a 5960x.
60,169 Views
62 REPLIES 62

PitViper
Level 7
Angstromboli wrote:
So apparently Windows 11 will require a TPM 2.0 module. Is it true X99 and therefore the Rampage V extreme doesn't support this at all?

Supermicro makes a 20-pin TPM 2.0 module: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOM-TPM-9665V.php

But from my searching it looks like the R5E only supports TPM/FW3.19 which is 1.2, not TPM-L R2.0 which is TPM 2.0?

On the other hand I've seen reviews on Amazon for TPM 2.0 chips where people specifically mention using them on X99 motherboards, so maybe it's down to the motherboard itself. From my understanding, TPM 2.0 is not backwards compatible with TPM 1.2.

EDIT: I decided to just take one for the team and buy one just to see. Specifically I got the "SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C" (V for vertical orientation and C for client, as opposed to server). It probably won't work but whatever. I'll post an update when it arrives. Should be here within a few days, I got the faster shipping.


Hope it works for you.

I'm not sure if I will be able to upgrade either. I've been looking at my Rampage vi extreme encore manual and I can't find if it has a TPM or a header for TPM. I don't think it has either from what I can tell.

This TPM thing is going to cause a lot of confusion. I hope someone does a video about it soon.

PitViper wrote:
Hope it works for you.

I'm not sure if I will be able to upgrade either. I've been looking at my Rampage vi extreme encore manual and I can't find if it has a TPM or a header for TPM. I don't think it has either from what I can tell.

This TPM thing is going to cause a lot of confusion. I hope someone does a video about it soon.


Well after doing some reading, most intel CPUs made around 2013 and later have what is called PTT. Haswell and later should have PTT so you may be ok even without the module. PTT is basically software TPM and it can be enabled in your bios. Look under "PCH-FW configuration". Hope this works, but since Windows 11 isn't out yet, who knows.

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
Angstromboli wrote:
EDIT: I decided to just take one for the team and buy one just to see. Specifically I got the "SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C" (V for vertical orientation and C for client, as opposed to server). It probably won't work but whatever. I'll post an update when it arrives. Should be here within a few days, I got the faster shipping.


I just read about the requirement on Toms Hardware and came straight to these forums. Thanks for creating this post, otherwise I would've done it. Yes, please update us when the unit arrives. If you could, provide before and after (installation) images of your motherboard and other setup instructions. A link to the specific model as well that you used would be very helpful as well, but obviously only if it works. Thanks!

PitViper wrote:
Well after doing some reading, most intel CPUs made around 2013 and later have what is called PTT. Haswell and later should have PTT so you may be ok even without the module. PTT is basically software TPM and it can be enabled in your bios. Look under "PCH-FW configuration". Hope this works, but since Windows 11 isn't out yet, who knows.

I find myself in a position where I randomly have to reset my CMOS for my PC to "beep" (startup correctly), it may be linked to USB 3.0, I'm not sure, but anyways, next time I'm in my BIOS, I'll look into it.

Angstromboli
Level 9
So it actually worked! The Rampage V Extreme apparently does support TPM 2.0. Now the trouble is apparently Windows 11 is going to not just enforce TPM 2.0, but also minimum CPU Generation. So it might have been for nothing lol. Anyway, screenshots below.

Also I know about PTT, but apparently only certain lines of Haswell CPUs supported it like mobile ones. Mine definitely does not, I looked carefully.

89109

89110

89111

Angstromboli wrote:
So it actually worked! The Rampage V Extreme apparently does support TPM 2.0. Now the trouble is apparently Windows 11 is going to not just enforce TPM 2.0, but also minimum CPU Generation. So it might have been for nothing lol. Anyway, screenshots below.

Also I know about PTT, but apparently only certain lines of Haswell CPUs supported it like mobile ones. Mine definitely does not, I looked carefully.



Nice! Glad it worked for you!

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
Angstromboli wrote:
I'm running the original Rampage V Extreme. You literally just plug it into the slot and it showed up in the bios as shown, and Windows accepted it, zero configuration required, didn't even have to enable it.


For complete noobs like myself, can you just take a picture of your mobo with the device plugged in? I'd like to just see the general area where it's plugged in.

Do you notice any sort of performance difference now at all?

Also, I sent you a PM. Can you send me a link of the TPM module you bought? I can't seem to find it, or maybe I am looking at the right thing and I just don't know it.

Angstromboli
Level 9
Here's what it looks like installed, it's labelled TPM on the side furthest from the CPU. It's in the user manual

There's absolutely zero performance difference, that's not the purpose of it

89130

BigJohnny
Level 13
embedded in R6EE, just have to turn it on in BIOS PTT-FW under advanced tab.

89147


After enabling win+R tpm.msc amd you should see this

89148

BigJohnny wrote:
embedded in R6EE, just have to turn it on in BIOS PTT-FW under advanced tab.

89147


After enabling win+R tpm.msc amd you should see this

89148


Just to confirm, you don't actually have the Rampage V Extreme motherboard, right?

Angstromboli wrote:
Here's what it looks like installed, it's labelled TPM on the side furthest from the CPU. It's in the user manual

There's absolutely zero performance difference, that's not the purpose of it


Just curious, have you verified that this will work for Windows 11? Have you run the PC Health Check? I'm thinking that would be the icing on the cake if it checks out says you're compatible with Windows 11.