cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Not TPM 2.0 Compatible? (Windows 11)

Angstromboli
Level 9
So apparently Windows 11 will require a TPM 2.0 module. Is it true X99 and therefore the Rampage V extreme doesn't support this at all?

Supermicro makes a 20-pin TPM 2.0 module: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOM-TPM-9665V.php

But from my searching it looks like the R5E only supports TPM/FW3.19 which is 1.2, not TPM-L R2.0 which is TPM 2.0?

On the other hand I've seen reviews on Amazon for TPM 2.0 chips where people specifically mention using them on X99 motherboards, so maybe it's down to the motherboard itself. From my understanding, TPM 2.0 is not backwards compatible with TPM 1.2.

EDIT: I decided to just take one for the team and buy one just to see. Specifically I got the "SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C" (V for vertical orientation and C for client, as opposed to server). It probably won't work but whatever. I'll post an update when it arrives. Should be here within a few days, I got the faster shipping.

EDIT2: So the TPM 2.0 module actually worked (model number above). Screenshots in this post below of BIOS and TPM.msc menu: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124610-Rampage-V-Extreme-Not-TPM-2-0-Compatible-(Windows-1...

I'm running the original Rampage V Extreme. You literally just plug it into the slot and it showed up in the bios as shown, and Windows accepted it, zero configuration required, didn't even have to enable it.

EDIT3: To be clear, even though the TPM 2.0 module works with the motherboard, the PC Health Check app still says my computer is NOT compatible with Windows 11 because the processor isn't supported. It's a 5960x.
62 REPLIES 62

JamieRI
Level 7

And THAT is how Microsoft forces hardware upgrades on all of us with older, expensive, and still amazing computers IF we also want all the security patches in this endless war between criminals and our operating systems! 

Does this TPM 2.0 deliver enough HW security capability for MS to support Win 11, without the newer generation CPU? 

• MS link from PC Health Check says "Processors/CPUs (Central Processing Units): 1 Ghz or faster with 2 or more cores and appearing on our list of approved CPUs. The processor in your PC will be a main determining factor for running Windows 11. The clock speed (the 1 Ghz or faster requirement) and number of cores (2 or more) are inherent to the processor design as it was manufactured and are not considered upgradable components." (ref link from PC Health Check "More about supported CPUs"

• and my System Information page says 

"Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)" which does meet the above 

Does anyone know more about the CPU cutoff before generation 10?

Officially 8000 series is the earliest for Intel Core, and 7000X/XE series is the earliest for Core-X.  Earlier CPUs lack features needed for the full set of Windows 11 security features, it's not just about core count and clock.  MS are basically wrong to prominently mention core count and clock speed, as those are not going to be the determining factor for many/most people with older machines.

Windows Processor Requirements:

Windows 11 version 21H2 Supported AMD Processors Supported Intel Processors Supported Qualcomm Processors
Windows 11 version 22H2 Supported AMD Processors Supported Intel Processors Supported Qualcomm Processors

You've got until at least October 14, 2025 for Home and Pro editions of Windows 10 where you'll still receive official MS support (particularly security updates).  The final version of Windows 10 has already been released with 22H2, so don't expect much beyond critical fixes between now and 2025, and don't expect it to receive new technology updates (e.g. the next big .NET or Direct X thing).

There may be unsupported ways to run Windows 11 on older CPUs, but some parts of it just won't work.  I would strongly recommend that people to use the next couple of years to plan for either a hardware upgrade or moving to Linux.  By late 2025, 8000 and 7000X series are already going to be fairly old and a long way behind basically a good-but-cheap replacement system with current generation parts.

Just trying to get a straight answer from Microsoft support as to why Haswell_E CPUs are unsupported is what caused me to get so angry with Microsoft. Everything except the CPU was all good according to a Windows 11 compatibility tool. It so happens the reason IS a good one that Microsoft is incapable of communicating.  I just had do a lot of digging around for it.  The chip to cloud security paradigm is a good one, and CPU virtualization-based security is a part of that, and an absolute requirement by Microsoft for Windows 11 compatibility.  Haswell-E has a very early implementation of VBS which noticeably degrades system performance when enabled.  If Microsoft support had stated that from the beginning, they would have had my support.  Anyway, moving on....   As you write, people ought to upgrade the hardware or move to Linux.  Oh, and if the latter, maybe give Manjaro a try.  It's an Arch based distribution and receives rolling updates meaning that one does not need to periodically install a new revision for the OS to stay fully updated.

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown