cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - Not TPM 2.0 Compatible? (Windows 11)

Angstromboli
Level 9
So apparently Windows 11 will require a TPM 2.0 module. Is it true X99 and therefore the Rampage V extreme doesn't support this at all?

Supermicro makes a 20-pin TPM 2.0 module: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOM-TPM-9665V.php

But from my searching it looks like the R5E only supports TPM/FW3.19 which is 1.2, not TPM-L R2.0 which is TPM 2.0?

On the other hand I've seen reviews on Amazon for TPM 2.0 chips where people specifically mention using them on X99 motherboards, so maybe it's down to the motherboard itself. From my understanding, TPM 2.0 is not backwards compatible with TPM 1.2.

EDIT: I decided to just take one for the team and buy one just to see. Specifically I got the "SuperMicro AOM-TPM-9665V-C" (V for vertical orientation and C for client, as opposed to server). It probably won't work but whatever. I'll post an update when it arrives. Should be here within a few days, I got the faster shipping.

EDIT2: So the TPM 2.0 module actually worked (model number above). Screenshots in this post below of BIOS and TPM.msc menu: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124610-Rampage-V-Extreme-Not-TPM-2-0-Compatible-(Windows-1...

I'm running the original Rampage V Extreme. You literally just plug it into the slot and it showed up in the bios as shown, and Windows accepted it, zero configuration required, didn't even have to enable it.

EDIT3: To be clear, even though the TPM 2.0 module works with the motherboard, the PC Health Check app still says my computer is NOT compatible with Windows 11 because the processor isn't supported. It's a 5960x.
62 REPLIES 62

red-454 wrote:
Mine did something similar and it was the battery...

Wish I knew that and tried replacing the battery before I tossed the board!

In my case, the thing shut off in the middle of me using it (browsing the web) then it wouldn't start back up again. I can see a battery affecting a startup, but you'd think it would be a non-issue while the machine is running?

Otherwise, machine has been running for about a month-ish now. Pretty solid so far with the Ryzen and no weird issues.

Greetings all.

I have been following, well, lurking in this thread for a while, and figured I would try to help re-cap everything mentioned in a clear and concise way so that we all know where we stand with the impending release of Windows 11. If it helps I have been beta testing Windows 11 through the Dev/BETA and Release Preview Channels of the Windows Insider program for the past 5 months and I currently have Windows 11 Build 22000.194 Windows 11 Enterprise Edition installed on my RVIE system.

First of all Compatibility.

When it comes to compatibility for Windows 11 you require a compatible Motherboard and a compatible CPU. Specifically the Motherboard must include a TPM of the Version 2.0 specification. Your CPU MUST support Virtualisation Based Security and given the range of CPU's that Microsoft have targeted their OS at, those CPU's also seem to feature MBEC (Mode Based Execution Control). These features are simply not present in earlier CPU's.

Can I install Windows 11 on an early system that lacks these features?

Yes you can, however this will come at a significant performance cost in time. In time Microsoft will likely leverage more of the new security features embedded in new CPU's. The problem is that older CPU's simply do not have the required instruction registers to execute the security instructions. The end result of this is an eventual significant loss of performance and a potential for data loss since the CPU will struggle to execute instructions it simply doesn't have. When you install Windows 11 on such a system you will not qualify for system and security updates from Microsoft. Those updates are going to be built with the anticipated supported hardware features in mind.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/unsupported-win11-pcs-wont-update

If you own an RVE Motherboard, and I have one with a 5960X, the board contains the headers for a TPM2.0 module, but the CPU's you can equip the board with, are NOT compatible and lack the security features that Windows 11 will require.

If you own an RVIE Motherboard (yes I have one of these too) then it has an embedded TPM2.0 module that simply needs to be activated in the system BIOS. Please note the following 7th Generation CPU's because these ARE compatible with Windows 11.

Intel Core i7-7820HQ
Intel Core i5-7640X
Intel Core i7-7740X
Intel Core i7-7800X
Intel Core i7-7820HQ
Intel Core i7-7820X
Intel Core i7-7900X
Intel Core i7-7920X - This I absolutely can confirm because I have this chip in my system.
Intel Core i9-7940X
Intel Core i9-7960X
Intel Core i9-7980XE

Chips later than these that are available for the x299 platform are also compatible, that includes the 9 and 10 generation CPU's.

IF YOU NEED TO, OR WANT TO VERIFY IF THE CPU YOU OWN IS COMPATIBLE PLEASE VISIT THIS LINK.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

THE LIST IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITH NEW ADDITIONS, CHECK IT AGAIN AT A LATER POINT IN TIME.

What if you don't care about the compatibility risks?

For those of you interested in still trying your luck with Windows 11, Microsoft have revealed that they will not prevent a user from installing it cleanly/manually on a system that is incompatible, so long as it meets the basic requirement of having a TPM1.2 module and secure boot available. HOWEVER BE WARNED your mileage WILL likely vary in time.

For those without even those features there are methods through which Windows 11 can be deployed/installed. However the future risk is real and I'd strongly advise you to stick to Windows 10 or Linux. There is a scripting tool that you can use that will permit the creation of a modified ISO of the release build of Windows 11. It can disable the TPM Check function and the Secure Boot Check function and permit installation. I have used the tool to create an ISO, and the source files that it builds the ISO from are those sourced from Microsoft's own repositories since it is simply a modified Media Creation Tool. I used it to create an ISO that can be deployed to an older system. HOWEVER THE RISK IS ENTIRELY YOUR OWN.

When using the suggested Media Creation Tool, simply use it to create an ISO, then specify 11 from the options. Once it starts permit the powershell script the rights to run. It will Launch a window titled Windows 10 Media Creation tool, however if you selected the 11 build option, you will get the Release Candidate ISO version of Windows 11. If you are interested in upgrading your current Windows 10 installation the Github site I have mentioned below also contains scripts that will disable the check functionality for instalation. FAMILIARISE YOURSELF WITH THEIR FUNCTION AND OPERATION BEFORE USE, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The Media Creation Tool can be located on Github https://gist.github.com/AveYo/c74dc774a8fb81a332b5d65613187b15

ThrashZone
Level 10

tjernagel
Level 8
I'm running a i7-6950x and it's not supported even if I did purchase the TPM module. I don't really want to spend a fortune to upgrade the motherboad, memory and cpu just for Win11...

Just looked at this article about how to cheat Win11 so it will install... I might try in on a M2 card I have I'm not using...

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/windows-11-tpm-requirement-bypass-it-in-5-minutes.287584/

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
Angstromboli wrote:

EDIT3: To be clear, even though the TPM 2.0 module works with the motherboard, the PC Health Check app still says my computer is NOT compatible with Windows 11 because the processor isn't supported. It's a 5960x.

I haven't tried this, but there's apparently a "Microsoft way" to bypass the TPM 2.0 requirement. From what I understand, your motherboard must support TPM 1.2, not the CPU itself. I saw this on Tom's Hardware. Look towards the bottom of this article, where you'll create a reg key and set it to 1. In my case, it actually already existed. I just need to install the TPM module on my motherboard.

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
All you need to do is save this as a reg file to desktop and merge it
Then run the compatibility check

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
"AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000001
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vennacher
Level 7
I added a TPM1.2 module, used this reg setting, and installed Windows 11 on my R4BE with a 3970 Sandybridge. After finding a compatible RAID controller driver it seems all is good so I would expect would also work with a Rampage V board.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

RottenMutt
Level 7
what is the easiest way to bypass the CPU check?

RottenMutt
Level 7
is i7-6950X CPU compatible with Rampage V Extreme?

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
MS already issued a incompatible cpu workaround to install without cpu checks.
https://www.elevenforum.com/t/bypass-windows-11-tpm-2-0-and-cpu-system-requirements.1989/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]