cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage v extreme - new bios 3801

itsnice4u
Level 8
I found new bios 3801 for R5E on the ASUS web site.
The release date was 01 Dec 2017. It seems that the change log was almost same but They must have fixed several issues.

1. Change log (from ASUS web site)
- Improved DRAM stability
- Fix Logitech devices issue.
- Fix Intel I211 Lan issue

2. download link: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/Rampage_V_Extreme/RAMPAGE-V-EXTREME-ASUS-3801.zip
56 REPLIES 56

Qwinn
Level 11
Just upgraded from 3701 to 3801 on my RVE (non 10) with my 5930k processor. Went fine. Haven't tried to overclock, I'm going with mostly defaults aside from setting to Adaptive mode with XMP settings and enabling all C-States these days as I haven't run into any software yet on my rig that default XMP settings doesn't seem to handle just fine... I'll go back to overclocking when I need to.

I am actually curious to try overclocking again with this new BIOS, though, since whatever instability I got whenever OC'ing core, cache and video cards seemed to manifest/present as DRAM instability. Not anytime soon though.

Oh, boot speed seems as good as it was in 3701.

(BTW - anyone upgrade from 5930k to 6850k? Was it worth it - or rather, would it be worth it for about $340 now? 6850k prices dropped like a stone lately for some reason, pretty much same price as a 6800k now. Who knows if that'll last?)

nick_the_greek_
Level 7
yep could not overclock with the same bios version on the chips with the bios flashback
do not try to bios flashback with the same bios version on the chips i will not overclock
or it will be buggy

the 3801 bios has good dram stability for me best bios for a while
i haven't updated my overclocking method for ages and my hardware
i have 960 evo m.2 and a asus strix 1080ti oc

Scorpion
Level 9
So I tried to BIOS Flashback to 3504 and no go, same exact issue, tried 3701 also, nothing...I think the CPU is dead, no issues at other than some Logitech keyboard detection problems here and there, hence when I wanted to update...this isn't good...

Scorpion wrote:
So I tried to BIOS Flashback to 3504 and no go, same exact issue, tried 3701 also, nothing...I think the CPU is dead, no issues at other than some Logitech keyboard detection problems here and there, hence when I wanted to update...this isn't good...

sorry to here that try re seating the cpu .you have nothing to lose

so updating your bios killing a cpu or MB is a asus feature now gg asus

Scorpion
Level 9
Nothing....the BIOS update definitely killed the CPU...

red454
Level 11
I have never used the BIOS Flashback. I have always downloaded the BIOS and then unzipped and renamed it in a fresh empty folder on my C drive. Then I boot into the current BIOS and update from within the EZ Flash utility by pointing to the folder with the new BIOS. Then I select the new BIOS and let the update process take over.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
I have never used the BIOS Flashback. I have always downloaded the BIOS and then unzipped and renamed it in a fresh empty folder on my C drive. Then I boot into the current BIOS and update from within the EZ Flash utility by pointing to the folder with the new BIOS. Then I select the new BIOS and let the update process take over.

Agree with this method too. This is the most reliable way to update the BIOS. I will only use the BIOS flashback if I buy the motherboard long Before assembling it with the new CPU processor refreshes or/and a new enhancement model of the memory sticks for my motherboard.

red454 wrote:

Have updated the BIOS to 3801 same way...and always have.
3801 works just as stable as 3701 did. No problems here
Really sorry to hear some of you fried a cpu 😞

Hello Everyone,
I just received the news...
My Cpu will be replaced by a new one.
Now i just have to wait 2/3 days.. and keep the 3701.
😄

Cumps

Qwinn
Level 11
IMO by far the best way to update the BIOS is with a USB stick containing the BIOS file named "R5E.CAP" plugged into the "ROG Connect" USB port in back with the PC turned off, as detailed on page 2-14 of the manual. You can actually use this method without any CPU installed on the motherboard. That method is called "USB BIOS Flashback" by the manual, which is extremely confusing because that is the exact same name as the procedure listed on page 4-21, which is done with the PC turned on via AI Suite and is an entirely different (and IMO much more dangerous) method.

When you're saying "don't use Flashback method", you might want to be specific as to which one you're referring to. Probably the easiest way to do so is to just identify whether your PC was actually powered on when you used it.