Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - New Bios 3701 !!

TeddyRaspin
Level 9
41 REPLIES 41

DrDiezel
Level 7
Can anyone tell me how to update bios, without breaking raid 0? every update and the raid is broken...:(

DrDiezel wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to update bios, without breaking raid 0? every update and the raid is broken...:(

The only way is to stop using onboard raid, and get a hardware raid controller (like an LSI MegaRAID card).

Techotic wrote:
The only way is to stop using onboard raid, and get a hardware raid controller (like an LSI MegaRAID card).

Ah, Ok, thanks anyway 🙂

DrDiezel wrote:

Disconnect your HDD/SSD before updateing your BIOS. If the update is finished, connect your HDD/SSD again.

madmarc69 wrote:
Disconnect your HDD/SSD before updateing your BIOS. If the update is finished, connect your HDD/SSD again.

Yeah i use to do this just don't reset cmos after the update that can also break your RAID.

madmarc69 wrote:

And don't forget to change your SATA controller's mode from AHCI to RAID after clearing CMOS settings and/or loading Optimized Defaults. Loading Windows 7 with the SATA controller mode set to AHCI will trash the RAID:eek:. Don't know about Windows 8.x or 10.

MatG
Level 9
3701 is the most stable bios i have had so far.
I even had some problems with my 32GB ram only showing 24GB on some of the earlier builds.

rmongiovi
Level 8
Are you sure it's disappearing, or could it just be under some OS pulldown entries and not under others? That's pretty common for the haphazard way ASUS updates that site.

All the BIOS files are exactly the same size, at least for 1701 through 3701. It's the contents that changes, not the size.

Hello RMongiovi, your comment caused me to do some more exploring with the ASUS Tek website. I found that if I log on and find my motherboard through my registered products list (R5E with USB 3.1 PCIe card and OC Panel) then BIOS 3504 is the latest on the list for Win 10 x64. If on the other hand I log on and just do a general search on the name of the motherboard then I get BIOS 3701 as the latest. Strange way that website works. Thanks!

Mangonz
Level 9
I noticed 3701 has been removed from the support page for my country as well. It was there 2 days ago and I accessed the same page under the same OS as last time. It's now showing 3504 from March as the most recent bios. I tried a few different methods of navigating to it but 3701 has definitely been removed.

Fortunately I found another copy of 3701on what appears to be the US site at https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREME/helpdesk_download/

From a couple of days of testing it seems more stable on a cold boot than the 3202 bios I was using before. I'm using the TPU I profile which raises clock speed to 3.8Ghz on my 5960X.
I noticed speed step is much slower at lowering clock speeds on idle, takes 40 seconds to a minute now when there is no load. Fortunately it raises them again just as quick as before when cpu load increases.
CPU power consumption at idle is definitely up, from 18W to 34W.