cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

Counteragent77 wrote:
I'm actualy in the process of doing a new build and was considering this M.2 Drive

Crucial M550 M.2 512GB SSD

Any comments on this one?

If you're referring to the 512GB Crucial M550 M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD, it will not work on the Rampage V Extreme because it's a M.2 SATA SSD and the Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCIe SSDs.

Chino wrote:
If you're referring to the 512GB Crucial M550 M.2 Type 2280 Internal SSD, it will not work on the Rampage V Extreme because it's a M.2 SATA SSD and the Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCIe SSDs.

Thanks for the info..

My question when looking for M.2 drive, how do you know its PCIe or SATA based? Is it something that is written out in the Specs etc?

Thanks.

Chino
Level 15
Yes, that's correct.

Take the drive you were looking at for example. If you look at the specifications table, it clearly states that the interface is SATA 6.0Gb/s. 😛

Chino wrote:
Benchmarks have been added to the opening post.

Thanks 😉

Would be too much ask a bench of "HDTune" (File Benchmark and Random Access) 😛
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
Thanks 😉

Would be too much ask a bench of "HDTune" (File Benchmark and Random Access) 😛

Enjoy.

tistou77
Level 13
Thanks so much 🙂

The M6e is better than Sansung XP941, I think

Trim is Ok with the Plextor?
In AHCI and it is a separate controller I guess (not at all related to the Intel controller and Rapid Storage Technology)

Sorry for the questions, I do not know anything about the "M2"

I hesitate to buy it and put into replace my Samsung Pro 850 (any difference I think)
Sorry for my english 😄

Chino
Level 15
TRIM command is supported and works wonderfully on the Plextor M6e. It supports AHCI Mode so you don't need any additional drivers.

tistou77
Level 13
Ok thanks 😉

Your benchs are made ​​with "energy economy" or not (C1E, EIST, etc ...)?
Sorry for my english 😄

Chino
Level 15
If you're referring to the power plan, the Balanced profile was used during the runs. Also the system is at stock clocks.

tistou77
Level 13
Indeed, I am talking about options in the bios (Intel Speedstep).
If energy economy is enabled (and thus, in idle, I am at 1200 on the CPU), the perfs in the benchs are lower than if I turn off the energy economy
Hence my question

So for you, everything is enabled

Thanks so much for your guide and feedback 🙂
Sorry for my english 😄