cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

Amerifaxx
Level 7
Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

I can't find the m.2 when in BIOS\Advanmce nor can I find the PCIEx8_4.
Bob

adamr
Level 7
I'm considering replacing my boot drive ssd Samsung 850 pro with an NVme drive (Samsung 960 pro). Some questions:*

1. With my 1080ti sli setup would I be sacrificing any pcie speed or compatibility by going NVme
2. Can I clone my current SSD to the NVme drive using Samsung's magician software (like can be done between SSDs)
Maximus XI Formula - 9900K - Razer Viper Ultimate - Corsair K70 LP - 970PRO NVMe - SSD 850 Evo - 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro - Phanteks Evolv X - Asus ROG Strix OC 3080 Ti - Corsair H115i Platinum - AX1200i PSU

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I can answer number 1

Assuming you have nothing in the fourth PCIe slot (i.e. your SLI is on recommended 1st and 3rd slots) you will not lose any PCIe speed

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I can answer number 1

Assuming you have nothing in the fourth PCIe slot (i.e. your SLI is on recommended 1st and 3rd slots) you will not lose any PCIe speed

thanks Arne. Yeah nothing on the other pcie slots. And my sli is as per the recommended way
Maximus XI Formula - 9900K - Razer Viper Ultimate - Corsair K70 LP - 970PRO NVMe - SSD 850 Evo - 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro - Phanteks Evolv X - Asus ROG Strix OC 3080 Ti - Corsair H115i Platinum - AX1200i PSU

adamr wrote:
thanks Arne. Yeah nothing on the other pcie slots. And my sli is as per the recommended way

You'll be good to go then...

The other I don't know...never used it for that...

CMDRZOD
Level 7
@adamr For #2 use Macrium Reflect to backup your existing SSD and transfer it to another. Just need a spare USB stick to create recovery media and restore your original image to the new drive. Its actually pretty good software will even resize the partition automatically.

Edit: Yeah, it's free.
Edit 2: Source: I used it last night to migrate my Win 10 install to an Intel 750 1.2TB SSD from a 16TB 4x4TB RAID0 array. Worked a treat. Have a snack ready it will likely take all day.

CMDRZOD wrote:
@adamr For #2 use Macrium Reflect to backup your existing SSD and transfer it to another. Just need a spare USB stick to create recovery media and restore your original image to the new drive. Its actually pretty good software will even resize the partition automatically.

Edit: Yeah, it's free.
Edit 2: Source: I used it last night to migrate my Win 10 install to an Intel 750 1.2TB SSD from a 16TB 4x4TB RAID0 array. Worked a treat. Have a snack ready it will likely take all day.

Thanks will do ... Putting the nvme on hold for a bit

Chino
Level 15
The M.2 screw should come pre-installed on the standoff. On your second image, I cannot see clearly if the screw is present.

Chino wrote:
The M.2 screw should come pre-installed on the standoff. On your second image, I cannot see clearly if the screw is present.

I take these shots while mp pc was running.
https://prnt.sc/js14om
https://prnt.sc/js14zv

Theres no screw installed on my mobo.M2 SSD hangs there as you see...

Chino
Level 15