cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

Chino wrote:
Thanks for the new images. I can see it clearly now. If you've lost the screw, you can get one from Amazon.

Thx for the replies,i even dunno what m2 screws before my SSD broke.Then i bought a 970 EVO and surprisingly i havent attached it to the screw which -you say-must be there but in reality its not on the mobo.

Egbert_Jan
Level 7
I have a PC with a rampage v extreme motherboard with 5960x processor. He always worked well with my old ssd, a sata connected samsung 850 pro 512 gb. Now I have removed that SSD and put a nvme samsung 970 pro 512gb in it. I also have a 500gb wd 1tb wd, a 2tb wd and a hgst 4tb Harddisk. Now the following problem is visible if I want to install Windows 10 on the 970 pro, I get a bsod during the installation with the following message: machine check exception. I came through the Windows setup properly and then it starts up again and starts configuring the device when it is finished. Then it starts up again and I get the bsod with machine check exception. If I turn off the sata controller, I can install Windows 10 on the 970 pro without bsod. If I have installed Windows 10 with the sata controller off and then turn it on again when Windows 10 is on, again I get that bsod with machine check exception. If I hang back my old SSD and get the NVSE SSD out then I can install Windows 10 without bsod.

What I have already done is put the latest bios on it ver 3902.
Replaced Sata cables
All hard drives tested no errors.
Memtest is also good
The 970pro works fine in other PCs in combination with sata disks
When I install Windows 8.1 I get the same bsod

What else is in the PC
STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
32GB memory 4x 8GB corsair 2800mhz
ax760i power supply corsair
asus bluray burner on sata

If I have to post bios settings, I can do that.

Who knows what is going on here and how I can use my Samsung 970 pro in this PC in combination with my sata hard disks?

FuBus
Level 7
Not work for me, no see option seting M.2 withc bios, use SSD 970 pro, bios ver 3902

any help?

ThePathOfBlood
Level 7
My NVME wont show up SN850

Anyone ever do a test of what M.2 are most compatible with this Motherboard?

Finally going to buy one and I remember when I got this board there were lots of reports of how some were not as compatable. Would love any feedback.

Thanks guys!