cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

Perko wrote:
OK.

I have my SM951 installed and recognized in Windows yet I don't see it in the bios.

I the the m.2 slot enabled.

What am I missing here?

Also in the bios the NVME is not active/grayed out.

SS

Unfortunately, I don't own the SM951 so I cannot confirm if what you're experiencing is normal. But have you tried installing Windows onto the drive?

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately, I don't own the SM951 so I cannot confirm if what you're experiencing is normal. But have you tried installing Windows onto the drive?

No didn't....... I decided it wasn't worth the trouble at this point so I returned it.
I certainly don't need the space and I'll likely go PCIE in the future. Then I can dump my hybrid into the back up box as I use it for all my file storages. 😉

I need to learn how to "build" a stripped benchmark OS so I can compete for better scores, sucks being old and not understanding this stuff like I thought I used too. :confused:

SS
Case Labs S8
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
i7 5960X
EKWB XTX360 kit +1 XTX360 & XTX240
10x MassCool fans on a Lamptron FC5 6 Channel 30W LED Fan Controller V3
32GB Geil Potenza 3000Mhz
2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
WD 7,200 Hybrid 2TB
ASUS Blu-Ray RW
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 EKWB full block
Acer XB270HU monitor
EVGA 1200 P2
Razor 7.1 phones, Death Ader & Ultimate KB
Madcatz Panther XL SteveO modded

I just bought a Samsung 951 nvm e M.2 and installed it in my maximus vii ranger z97 mobo, I created a win10 USB stick and installed it on the m.2, now after rebooting to the Boot Menu the drive does not appear. It only gets detected by the installer. How can I Boot from the m.2?

I disconnected all other drives.

hiya everyone, this is my first post (well second after my introduction one lol ), I have got myself a few new upgraded bits:-
Ausus rampage 5 extreme
intel i7 6850K 3.6g broadwell-E socket LGA 2011-V3
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW
Samsung SM 961 polaris 512G M.2-2880 PCI-e SSD
cooler master V8 Version 2 cpu cooler
G.Skill 64g DDR4 3400 3400MHz memory

Now I have upgraded loads before and I am struggling with this set up, I have followed the FAQ here and only changed one setting in the bios and that was to swapPCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2. But when I install windows from my DVD drive windows does not see the SSD in the setup/partition section of
the install even though the SSD and the DVD is detected in the bios. When I try the disable CSM method my comp hangs when the windows logo appears.

I am writing this post from work and not able to give specific details of setting until I get home but if anyone could point me in the correct direction it would be
greatly appreciated. I have even purchased a 32g flash drive as to see if that solves it putting windows on that, but some threads says its not 100% needed???.
surly its just a bios setting or a driver needed for the M.2 drive like it used to be for the older HD's when you used to install the driver with the floppy drive just before the windows install lol, until it all changed.

much appreciated

K..............

I do not see any nuts in my motherboard box, nor the box that my M.2 drive came in. Can someone explain to me what I need to buy and where?

JOSHSKORN wrote:
I do not see any nuts in my motherboard box, nor the box that my M.2 drive came in. Can someone explain to me what I need to buy and where?

If there wasn't any m.2 nut and screw with the motherboard which it should have been in with the accessories I would call Asus support and ask them to send you some. I don't believe you can buy those off the shelf at a hardware store or Homedepot. If they can't help then write back and I will see if I can measure them then see if McMaster-Carr may have the standoff I don't remember seeing any that small on their website but I would be willing to research them for you if Asus isn't willing to help but I bet they will. You might check eBay to see if you can get them from a vendor out of China. Let me know how you make out. * *Later.....Bitman *

JOSHSKORN wrote:

Did you check the box thoroughly? The nut & M.2 screw come in a small plastic bag. Also check your motherboard. Maybe they come pre-installed already.

Chino wrote:
Did you check the box thoroughly? The nut & M.2 screw come in a small plastic bag. Also check your motherboard. Maybe they come pre-installed already.

The only small plastic bag I saw was inside of another package for the LN2 plate. I don't see a nut for the smaller 2 M.2 holes. I can't see if there's a 3rd size, let alone if it's filled by a nut. My GPU is in the way. I'll try and look again. Ugh.

Also, ASUS support was NO help. They referred me to where I made my purchase, which was Amazon. I'm NOT even going to think about disassembling my whole computer and sending it back. There's gotta be another solution, even of it costs me a few bucks. I saw nuts on Amazon for $5.99, but I wouldn't know if they'd work or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JOSHSKORN wrote:
There's gotta be another solution, even of it costs me a few bucks.

Easy: buy an Asus Hyper M.2 x4 card for about $20. They come with an Asus M.2 standoff nut/screw (proprietary, I believe, so a standard M.2 standoff nut would not fit your mobo) installed.

I got to experience the joy of buying one when the M.2 slot on my R5E turned out to be totally dead. Yay Asus :rolleyes:

JOSHSKORN wrote:
The only small plastic bag I saw was inside of another package for the LN2 plate. I don't see a nut for the smaller 2 M.2 holes. I can't see if there's a 3rd size, let alone if it's filled by a nut. My GPU is in the way. I'll try and look again. Ugh.

Also, ASUS support was NO help. They referred me to where I made my purchase, which was Amazon. I'm NOT even going to think about disassembling my whole computer and sending it back. There's gotta be another solution, even of it costs me a few bucks. I saw nuts on Amazon for $5.99, but I wouldn't know if they'd work or not.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just installed a M.2 960 Pro and it took me forever to find the standoff and screw. It was in a little plastic bag about the size of a match book. It was in the big bag of all the mounting hardware screws.