cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Chino
Level 15

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.
324 REPLIES 324

alexdejesus wrote:
Randolla: or anyone else. I am trying to install Windows 7 on the Samsung XP941 drive installed in an ASUS X99-E WS motherboard. ASUS support told me that it could not be done, but I have seen posts that contradict that. I have found instructions for Windows 8. What are the steps for Win 7?

Make sure you're installing in UEFI mode.

Chino wrote:
Make sure you're installing in UEFI mode.

Is that all? Of course it's is UEFI mode. That's the whole point, isn't it?

What about the long lists of instructions in other forum posts? I have twice followed the instructions in this post: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=X99-DELUXE&id=20141028220241736&page=1&SLanguag...

I don't understand the reasoning behind such things as switching to RAID mode, or disabling Secure Boot. But I did exactly as directed. In the end, it says that it cannot boot from the USB UEFI flash drive. The computer (BIOS) sees the flash drive and identifies it as UEFI. It also sees the XP941 drive.

I need a good step-by-step list for Windows 7.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Following this guide as Chino has wrote it nobody should experience any issue installing to a 941.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Following this guide as Chino has wrote it nobody should experience any issue installing to a 941.

Unless of course they get an Windows error message when they go to install the USB ISO windows file on the X941 that says Windows unable to install on the MBR partition and it has to be converted to a GPT partition like both myself and Peter got.

I had to figure out how to fix that somewhere else since no one here was able to explain to me how to solve it. I am only offering to help if someone follows this guide but still can't get it to work. I followed every step outlined here and it STILL did not work for me because of the previously mention error.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52615-Resolved-My-USB-with-an-ISO-file-of-Windows-7-is-not-....
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Randolla wrote:
Unless of course they get an Windows error message when they go to install the USB ISO windows file on the X941 that says Windows unable to install on the MBR partition and it has to be converted to a GPT partition like both myself and Peter got.

That error will show up if you had a previous installation of W7 on the XP941 or you had installed the XP941 in your system as a secondary drive and used MBR. The solution is as easy as deleting the partitions and making a new one. The new one will automatically be GPT.

Randolla wrote:

I had to figure out how to fix that somewhere else since no one here was able to explain to me how to solve it. I am only offering to help if someone follows this guide but still can't get it to work. I followed every step outlined here and it STILL did not work for me because of the previously mention error.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52615-Resolved-My-USB-with-an-ISO-file-of-Windows-7-is-not-....

Hello

Pretty much as Chino has already stated. This is a guide for installing fresh. Not what to do if you have already screwed the pooch before knowing the basics.

Does anyone know if the new Samsung XM951 will work without issues in the RVE considering the older XP941 does? Thanks.

OK.

I have my SM951 installed and recognized in Windows yet I don't see it in the bios.

I the the m.2 slot enabled.

What am I missing here?

Also in the bios the NVME is not active/grayed out.

SS
Case Labs S8
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
i7 5960X
EKWB XTX360 kit +1 XTX360 & XTX240
10x MassCool fans on a Lamptron FC5 6 Channel 30W LED Fan Controller V3
32GB Geil Potenza 3000Mhz
2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
WD 7,200 Hybrid 2TB
ASUS Blu-Ray RW
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 EKWB full block
Acer XB270HU monitor
EVGA 1200 P2
Razor 7.1 phones, Death Ader & Ultimate KB
Madcatz Panther XL SteveO modded

Perko wrote:
OK.

I have my SM951 installed and recognized in Windows yet I don't see it in the bios.

I the the m.2 slot enabled.

What am I missing here?

Also in the bios the NVME is not active/grayed out.

SS

Hey,

Do you have the latest BIOS version of your motherboard ? for NVME functionalities i think it bios 15xx minimum.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey,

Do you have the latest BIOS version of your motherboard ? for NVME functionalities i think it bios 15xx minimum.

Max

I have it and had it installed yet nothing. I reverted to the 13xx and same same.

SS
Case Labs S8
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
i7 5960X
EKWB XTX360 kit +1 XTX360 & XTX240
10x MassCool fans on a Lamptron FC5 6 Channel 30W LED Fan Controller V3
32GB Geil Potenza 3000Mhz
2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
WD 7,200 Hybrid 2TB
ASUS Blu-Ray RW
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 EKWB full block
Acer XB270HU monitor