cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme - CPU Socket Problems

Death-Caliber
Level 7
Hi everyone!

Long time reader, first time poster and unfortunately my first post isnt good news.

I've had a Rampage V Extreme for as long as I can remember and over the past couple of days, I decided to throw my i7-6800k onto the board and do some testing/overclocking of some Corsair CMW16GX4M2C3200OC Ram (2 sets of 2x8) trying to get quad channel working as it wasnt working on my X909 Strix either (thats still an issue too).

So I put the processor in the slot, put my H100i V2 cooler on and set everything up.

Time comes to start the system and it was only detecting 3 of the 4 DIMMs.

Tried updating the BIOS and then it detected 2 of the 4 DIMMS.

It got to the point last night that I was down to only 1 DIMM being detected, no matter which stick of ram I put in the system.

So.....

After work tonight I decided to pull the board out of my case and take the processor off to discover I had bent a couple of pins somehow.

I grabbed a magnifying glass and had a look, the pins were somehow bent back the opposite way to how they should be orientated.

With a toothpick, I gently bent the first one back, no problems,

But then the second one didnt go so well and as I was moving the pin back into its correct orientation, it broke off 😞 :mad:

I'm pretty pissed off with myself to say the least.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So my question to ASUS is - Do you repair boards? This thing was super expensve and I'd really like to have this one in my system.

Happy to take some photo's if required/pay for shipping etc.
23 REPLIES 23

I've contacted ASUS Service and they are going to RMA the board, so far, so good.

I received the form tonight, so have just filled it out and I'm just awaiting my RMA number and then it will get sent off to be inspected.

I'll let you all know how I go.

28beerslater - I'm also an experienced builder, having been building PC's for 20 years, so to have an issue like this where I have never experienced a failure of this magnitude is unfortunate in itself.

I've never bent pins putting a processor in a CPU socket before.

I also just built another older P55 chipset PC last night with no issues, so I don't know why these boards are so fragile.

If all works out, I'll shoot you a PM and say go for it.

28BeersLater wrote:
I have a brand new boxed Rampage V with bent pins too...

How bent?

I'm so experienced they call me Experienced Saknussemm instead of Arne....but I have bent a pin or two in my time

I've always teased them back so perfectly you would never know...so unless they are flat 180 degrees bent by the handful you could probably save the board

I've never seen a new board shipped with bent pins...I can only imagine a dodgy retailer

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
How bent?

I'm so experienced they call me Experienced Saknussemm instead of Arne....but I have bent a pin or two in my time

I've always teased them back so perfectly you would never know...so unless they are flat 180 degrees bent by the handful you could probably save the board

I've never seen a new board shipped with bent pins...I can only imagine a dodgy retailer

Unfortunately wouldnt be able to save this one even if the pins were bent straight.

My OP states that one pin broke while attempting to straighten it out.

ASUS know this as I mentioned it in my original email as per this thread, yet are still going to take it for RMA, so not sure what the outcome will be.

Death-Caliber wrote:
Unfortunately wouldnt be able to save this one even if the pins were bent straight.

Yeah, I saw yours was beyond saving...if they go too far they work harden bending back and snap...but many can be saved...I was wondering if 28beers could be saved...

Hope ASUS can sort you for not too much cost

xeromist
Death-Caliber, did you test it again after fixing the one pin? Depending on which pin broke it could be part of a redundant set of power delivery pins. Intel over-provisions power pins so you can survive without some of them as long as most are working.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Yeah I did and it threw a Q code 00 and wouldn't POST.

xeromist
Ah well, worth a shot. Hope RMA works out.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

coyi1895
Level 10
My experience with bent pins. I emailed Asus and they told me to speak to the retailer (Scan) where I bought the board from. They quoted me the price since bent pins are not covered under warranty and got it repaired for about £50. The repair is not expensive.

Just be aware guys, especially if in Australia, that ASUS will say they are not liable for any damage received from RMA returns.

This is what I was given back from RMA repair.

What a load of **** its my fault.

You can clearly see that I opened the package and removed the Foxconn cover from the board to be greeted with a vast amount of bent pins.

I sent it with two pins bent and this is what they sent me back.

:mad:

Vlada011
Level 10
When I buy board I try to do that in hardware store and always check fins inside in store and make photos from different angles.