Rampage V Extreme - CPU compatibility

Korth
Level 14
From this Asus R5E support page, supported CPUs for this motherboard:

Core i7-5920K/-5930K/-5960X
Xeon E5-1620v3/-1630v3/-1650v3/-1680v3
Xeon E5-2620v3/-2630v3/-2637v3/-2650Lv3/-2687Wv3/-2697v3/-2698v3/-2699v3

[/HR]
1) "Intel Xeon Processor Family is designed for servers. Some features may not support when installed on X99 series chipsets. For more details, refer to ASUS support site." - uh, which features, and where do I refer on the support site?

Would a Xeon E5-2687Wv3/-2697v3/-2698v3/-2699v3 proc be limited to 8 cores (16 threads) by the X99 board/chipset?

[/HR]
2) Is this a comprehensive list, or just a list of tested parts which have confirmed compatibility? (That is, are unlisted LGA2011-3 procs specifically incompatible?)

I have an opportunity to trade up my "above average" i7-5960X for either an E5-1680v3 or an E5-2667v3. These Xeon procs are similar, the second one is a little more energy efficient but not on the Asus compatibility list. I could even trade up to an E5-2687Wv3 (for a price), but that would be pointless if the mobo limits the proc to 8 functioning cores.

For the record, it's not really a gaming rig any more and I do require multithreading madness. I'm not an IT guy, I just work with them (and they told me they don't really know the answer, but Asus should, lol).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]
11 REPLIES 11

R5Eandme wrote:
Hello everyone! It is nice to see so many Rampage V Extremes out there still at work everyday (like mine). It would be a bad time to have to build a new system right now. Is the R5E turning out to be unusually reliable, if a bit dated?

Ive not heard many issues lately with the R5E. It was king of the hill until they had to bump up to X299. Problem is once they do that the past projects are abandoned. No Bios updates unless its a microcode vulnerability and that's a maybe. Now X299 is reaching the end of its journey but they are still releasing BIOS updates.

As stated earlier the QVL lists dont generally get updated after release.

BigJohnny wrote:
As stated earlier the QVL lists dont generally get updated after release.

Right, and the RAM sticks on the original QVL become unobtainable. You have to find memory with similar enough specs so there's a good chance of it working.

On the longevity of motherboards, I suspect that if you have high airflow through the case, it will last a lot longer.