cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Exteme + M.2 mini SAS Adaptor Problems

caosss
Level 7
Hi everyone
Firstly my problem arises from the m.2 slot on the Asus Rampage V Extreme x99 Motherboard (see attached pictures). I have an Intel 750 series 1.2TB SSD with NVME in a 2.5” form factor that is connected to the motherboard via U.2Cable which in turn connects to the motherboards M.2 slot via a Asus M.2 to Mini SAS adaptor
My problem is the connector profile is too tall on the Asus adaptor and as the location of this is inline with the first PCI slot (x16) on the mother board, prevents my graphics card from locking/ slotting in the PICe slot.

i tired calling Asus support ... where i currently live the best they could advise me was to look for a solution on the net :mad: ... WOW ASUS that is quality support!!!!! after 10 years of being a loyal consumer ..all my hardware is Asus ... this is got to be one to best displays of contempt to your supports of the products which you manufacturer... also i find it really hard that asus could over look such a inconsistency really... as i said, i buy all asus to maximise compatibility but wouldn't you think that it would be sound practice to check if your products fits????? :confused:

anyway the problem is i have a Intel 750 series NVME SSD 2.5" which i can not use, due to connectors compatibility with the surrounding hardware and returning the SSD is not an option as i purchased it overseas 2mths agao( just recently started buliding my pc)

i want to use both x16 slots as i have a Asus GTX980Ti strix SLI config, 5960X CPU and 64GB Dominator Ram...

i been searching for a solution such as purchasing a M.2 Extender but i need to slot on the extender to move atleast 50mm to clear the GFX card.
the other alternative is to purchase another asus product.... the ASUS HYPER M.2X4 MINI and attach the mini sas adapto the that and place the card int he last 4x pcie slot .. from what i understand the M.2 and the last 4x slot shar the same lane.... but what would be the performance disadvantages to this route?

can anyone help in findind a solution ??

4 REPLIES 4

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi caosss:)

The RVE is designed with either plugging in an M2 drive direct under the GPU in the M2 slot or running PCIe drive direct in PCIe slot.

I'd say you have already found your best solution...find some PCIe card that will run in the last red slot and fit your u2 adapter...

I would assume some small hit in performance with two adapters but I suspect the drive will hardly be crawling....

Check around to see if anyone else has that kind of solution working...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hi caosss:)

The RVE is designed with either plugging in an M2 drive direct under the GPU in the M2 slot or running PCIe drive direct in PCIe slot.

I'd say you have already found your best solution...find some PCIe card that will run in the last red slot and fit your u2 adapter...

I would assume some small hit in performance with two adapters but I suspect the drive will hardly be crawling....

Check around to see if anyone else has that kind of solution working...

thanks for the reply..

i am searching on the net like a crazy scientist for an optimal solution.... there is onle mini m.2 adaptor in a 42mm form factor ..it may or maynot clear the gpu enoguh or but since the motherboard does not have monting point at 42mm, a brackets need to be purchased..

purchasing a PCIe card wih the SFF-8643 slot but at nearly 120dollars seems bit pricey ..

I came across a product the M2-M2280-FLEX but not sure how the product will work with the NVME drive or what kind, if any, performance loss is there using this extender.....

any views would be appreciated..

Menthol
Level 14
I don't know where you live but pcie 3.0 x 4 M.2 adapter cards can usually be purchased for $30,00 or under

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-ASUS-HYPER-M-2-X4-ACCESSORY-FOR-ASUS-Z170-DELUXE-X99-PRO-USB3-1-/25...

Menthol
I don't know where you live but pcie 3.0 x 4 M.2 adapter cards can usually be purchased for $30,00 or under

At the moment where i work... Computer modding , high end components are really rare to come by, hence i have to purchase everything from abroad.
I thought about that and just attaching the mini SAS adaptor to it but dont really know it that will work .... im trying to keep the internals as clean and free from clutter as much as possible , so i was searching for a m.2 solution first... hoever... if there not alternative may have to go the way of a PCIe adaptor with either a m.2 or a Mini SAS connector