cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 5 Edition 10 Won't Post Q-Code 00

Megalamaniac
Level 9
My system beens running pretty well, and just decided to stop posting.

I've got an i7-6850k, 32g G-Skill Trident 3200 (4x8g) memory kit, a pair of GTX1080Ti Strix, and Corsair AXi 1500 PSU.

It starts up with Q-Code 00 and just stays there. Everything appears to be powering up fine. Motherboard seems to be working OK. Cleared CMOS, and have switched between the Bios' 1701 and 1801.

Could my CPU have died!? I've heard the 6850k's have a bad rep for doing this. The system pretty much froze up (not all at once though) while I was using it, and when I rebooted it it won't start to post.

I won't be able to tear into it until the weekend, but would appreciate any suggestions.
8 REPLIES 8

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are any of the onboard LEDs lighting up?

Yes, 00 can be a dead CPU...though not always.

Maybe try removing all power and battery from MB for a few hours...and reseating CPU when you have time...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Try what Arne posted then reseating the CPU after.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Chino
Level 15

The CPU Q LED is lighting up red and staying lit. Typically, when I power on the system as soon as it lights the system will shutdown and start back up again. The PCI E 2 and 3 LED's are lit and PCI E 4 is flashing, and as mentioned the CPU Q LED lights up red and the Q -Code comes on 00 and that's as far as the system will boot.

All the rest of the motherboard seems to be coming on. My Aquaero is coming on and running the fans and pumps. RGB Lighting is still doing it's thing.

Got this sinking feeling.....

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I would RMA the CPU...sad to say...but it's quick with Intel 😞

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I would RMA the CPU...sad to say...but it's quick with Intel 😞

I think I'm going to go ahead and just upgrade to a i7-6950x, :cool:since I've been looking for an excuse. 😛 I'll RMA the i7-6850k and Ebay the replacement to offset some of the cost.

I'll do some troubleshooting this weekend to be certain the CPU is the issue.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
I would reconsider plugging in a new CPU into that board till you can diagnose the problem.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone wrote:
I would reconsider plugging in a new CPU into that board till you can diagnose the problem.

No, I don't plan onjust plugging in a new CPU. Although that said, after pulling the board and reseating the CPU, and firing it up outside the case. I not real sure where to go from there. I could use a few pointers.

The way it froze up was a little wierd. Not all at once, and after waking it up.

I've got spare PSU's to make sure that isn't the issue and spare graphic cards, but that's it when it comes to this build. I have a ton of spare 1366 stuff.

I've been doing alot of thinking and if I do upgrade the CPU, it'll either be a used 6950 or 6900, but probably not. My ultimate goal over the next few months will be to upgrade to the x299 platform for the 1080ti's and replace the my Rampage III with the R5E10. I've got 3 GTX970's and a decent watercooling setup for that rig, which will be for my son to use. I think it's a better match up of hardware anyway.

I'm also waiting to see what happens in a couple of months with the new graphic card releases.