cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for Memory

red-454
Level 8
Should you "stay away" from memory that is NOT on the QVL, or is it just memory that has not been officially tested with the RVE?
6 REPLIES 6

Chino
Level 15

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi red-454;) DIMMs selection is best kept to what has been tested and known to work at their specification.

Those designing and building MBs are best at determining DIMMS compatibility with a specific board. Unfortunately, QVL lists are not updated as timely as newly specked DIMMs come on the market. Worse still for older MBs that are no longer fully supported.

We all have personal preferences regarding the manufacturer when choosing kit, and some are definitely "stay away".

I only have like 16 differing DIMM kits, Some guys have hundreds to play with and try.
For those with limited resource and not wishing to test various DIMMs for themselves, It would be best to stick with the QVL of the MB manufacturer.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Ok - thanks. I will make sure that what I select is on the list.

And I read what Raja said about not mixing kits. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

I hope the jump from my Maximus V Formula to the RVE is fun. Now I am wondering if I need to change the power supply since it is about 4 years old...
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
And I read what Raja said about not mixing kits. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

I hope the jump from my Maximus V Formula to the RVE is fun. Now I am wondering if I need to change the power supply since it is about 4 years old...

Yes that was a great article by Raja, unfortunately, it seems to go under the radar for many first time builders.
The reasons for so many differing DIMMs and specs within specs is beyond me (commercial), but I too, learned the hard way.

Oh and yes Have Fun.:D
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Vlada011
Level 10
I always stay with compatible memory. At least if you can't find in your country exactly same problem look to be QVL at least for some ASUS
motherboard similar as you want to buy.