cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem seating GPU with RAM modules in place

vitalsine
Level 9
I am running a Rampage V Edition 10 with a Strix 1080, but my Corsair memory is in the way of me being able to seat the card in the first PCI-E slot. I have it seated in the 3rd one down, which is the other 16x. Is this ok? Or am I going to notice a performance hit/issues? I am also running one of the new 960 PRO m.2 ssd and it isn't performing very well. I am waiting for a 950 PRO to show up on Tuesday so that I can reinstall Windows to boot off of that and then use the m.2 as cache for Premiere and other stuff. I read somewhere that it will extend the life of the drive if I am not always booting off it? Anyway, that really wasn't the issue haha. I can save that for another time!

Thanks,
Rob
2,230 Views
5 REPLIES 5

fpex73
Level 7
I have it on the 3rd because i do not like it on top of my m.2 drive and no change in performance. But I have not pushed it to extreme yet (I have an EVGA hybrid)

Thanks for the reply fPex, have you run it in the first slot just to compare? It says I should have it in that slot of I check on GPU Post in bios. I don't see why it's a big deal though, so I'm going to hope we're ok 🙂

vitalsine wrote:
Thanks for the reply fPex, have you run it in the first slot just to compare? It says I should have it in that slot of I check on GPU Post in bios. I don't see why it's a big deal though, so I'm going to hope we're ok 🙂


yes, because i wanted to check in case i ever get crazy and do SLI (99,9999% unlikely)

Chino
Level 15
vitalsine wrote:
I am running a Rampage V Edition 10 with a Strix 1080, but my Corsair memory is in the way of me being able to seat the card in the first PCI-E slot. I have it seated in the 3rd one down, which is the other 16x. Is this ok? Or am I going to notice a performance hit/issues? I am also running one of the new 960 PRO m.2 ssd and it isn't performing very well. I am waiting for a 950 PRO to show up on Tuesday so that I can reinstall Windows to boot off of that and then use the m.2 as cache for Premiere and other stuff. I read somewhere that it will extend the life of the drive if I am not always booting off it? Anyway, that really wasn't the issue haha. I can save that for another time!

Thanks,
Rob


The third slot (PCIe 3.0 x16/8_3) is fine. You will not lose any performance at all.

Chino wrote:
The third slot (PCIe 3.0 x16/8_3) is fine. You will not lose any performance at all.


Thanks for tuning in and confirming for us Chino.