cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NVMe boot in UEFI on R5E?

kenshinco
Level 7
Hi,
Does anyone know how to boot a NVMe device in UEFI so the bios can recognizes it as NVMe drive not AHCI drive?

I want to boot Samsung SM951 as NVMe drive so I can take full advantage of its 2000/1550mb/s speed.
But UEFI keeps installing it as AHCI drive which bottleneck the speed down.

Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Board support for this drive may take some time considering the drive is both unreleased and currently destined for OEM only. As you have this drive I suggest you follow up with your contact for this drive. This is normally how support for unreleased products work.

Onimax
Level 8
The SM951 is not a NVMe drive.

It was originally intended to support NVMe, but Samsung cut support for it the last second before mass production began.
In the official press release from CES2015 you will see that no word about the SM951 supporting NVMe is said.
The only - and very last sentence - in this press release says: "Samsung will also work on timely introduction of next-generation PCIe SSDs that support the NVMe interface, which will provide even further performance increases."

Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150106006600/en/Samsung-Electronics-Mass-Producing-Extremely...

So we will yet have to wait for a NVMe ready drive. 😞

kenshinco
Level 7
@Onimax, your link to the article said the sm951 read/write 2150/1550mb/s on pcie 3.0 but the actual speed we are getting far below that (but still faster than xp941).
I guess the 2150/1550mb/s is for nvme version of the drive.
it sucks to have the drive but not the speed :mad:

kenshinco wrote:
@Onimax, your link to the article said the sm951 read/write 2150/1550mb/s on pcie 3.0 but the actual speed we are getting far below that (but still faster than xp941).
I guess the 2150/1550mb/s is for nvme version of the drive.
it sucks to have the drive but not the speed :mad:

Do you actually have the drive? Did Samsung promise you NVMe personally when they shipped you the drive?

I think this is a typical case of someone getting overly excited and jumping on new hardware without waiting and taking a deep breath.

It's an OEM drive that is not officially sold to end-users. Expecting NVMe support for a drive that doesn't even suppport it and is unreleased is unrealistic.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8865/samsung-launches-sm951-m2-pcie-30-x4-ssd-for-oemssis

The drive does not even support NVMe, so no chance for this drive.

We will add NVMe support to our boards when we are ready to do so. Best aligned with consumer product releases aimed at the casual user instead of enterprise and OEM solutions that are not built for desktop use.

Onimax
Level 8
What speeds do you get then?
Benches would be nice.
Also: If the drive is using storahci it should be perfectly fine.

"Poor" performance could also relate to the drive being very new and not being officially supported by the RVE (yet!?), just as Praz said.

@ Kenshinco
Hello Ken, could tell me the source from where you got this M.2 card from?, Also could you post some benchmarks of this drive as it is, Thanks guy.
"I'm not an OCer just looking a good MENTOR". UyqtCojoXecQlo.". 😄

kenshinco
Level 7
There are some benchmark posted on this forum: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1846366

squawker
Level 11
kenshinco wrote:
Hi,
Does anyone know how to boot a NVMe device in UEFI so the bios can recognizes it as NVMe drive not AHCI drive?

Hi kenshinko,

The R5E bios does not recognize the NVMe device specifically as an NVMe drive.

In the case of Intel DC P3700, Form Factor HHHL AIC, the device is shown in Adv. Menu > System Agent Conf. > NB PCI-E Config, as an AIC linked as x4.

But the Device Manager shows both the W8.1 NVMe native driver and the last Intel driver i updated:

sorry it's in Portuguese 🙂

Praz
Level 13
LOL. Not much more to say about this.