cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New High End Build, seeking comments, advice, opinions

BeltFed
Level 7
I have been off from playing PC games for the last year or so, and having a PC that is approx 10 years old, whose video card took a dump recently, I am looking to put my wallet down on a high end personal build. I am not experienced at all with overclocking, but have been doing some research and watching instructional videos/guides, and plan on overclocking for this build. I wanted to put this on here to get comments, corrections, opinions, advice, or concerns from more experienced and savvy community members.

• Monitor: Acer XB321HK 32" 4K 60Hz IPS G-Sync 4ms... or... Asus PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 144-165Hz IPS G-Sync 4ms
  • Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
  • Case: Thermaltake Core X9
  • CPU: 5960X (plan to overclock to ~4.5 following careful instructions)
  • CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX
  • GPU: 3 x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Hybrid (been having a hard time finding this card without ridiculous price gouging, I might end up buying three standard Titan X's and installing EVGAs closed-loop water coolers.)
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2400Mhz
  • Hard Drive: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W ATX12V

I considered 3 x GTX 980 Ti Hybrids, but that 12GB VRAM is pretty tempting on the Titan X, it would help with higher texture mods on games, and I dont plan on upgrading from this build for quite some time, so I need a bit of "futureproof".

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Update: After plenty of great feedback, I think I have decided to revise my build.

I am leaning more towards keeping my old Dell 3008WFP 2560x1600 60Hz 8ms monitor, and therefore going with 2 x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrids, instead of the 3 x Titan X Hybrids. The reason for this is that I would really like to go 4K, however, I think I would rather wait until 4K supports higher than 60Hz refresh rates, preferably 120Hz, which requires DisplayPort 1.3, before making the jump to 4K. And hopefully with NVIDIAs Pascall GPU right around the corner bringing it to life in 2016.

This means going cheaper on the GPUs and monitor now, to leave room for upgrade in the future once 120Hz 4K is doable. I would be having to upgrade sooner than anticipated, but I think it would be worth the time. This plan should keep me going in the mean time.

Thank you all for the great feedback. Nothing is final yet, so everything is subject to change. :Update
35 REPLIES 35

Nate152
I use 3 way sli on my older maximus v extreme and 3 way sli scales great. I would say it has more to do with the game engine than drivers as to how well 3 way sli performs. In my opinion the only reason to go with the Rampage V extreme is if you're doing 3 or 4way sli otherwise I'd just plop two titan x's in the maximus VIII hero and save some cash towards your water cooling, a custom water cooling loop isn't difficult to install.

With sli the more gpu's you add the less performance increase you get.

2 titan x = 80% to 100% performance increase
3 titan x = another 50%
4 titan x = another 20%

This again depends on the game engine, some games scale better than others.

If you're going 4k you'll need all the gpu horsepower you can get and price to performance three titan x's would be the best bet. With the ROG swift 2560 x 1440 two titan x's would be plenty, in fact I'd probably go with 980ti's.

Here's a build I helped a member with a little while back, he got the BenQ BL3201PH 4ms 4k monitor and three titan x's. Here are some pics if you care to see.

You'll spend some serious cash on a custom loop such as this it's actually two loops.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme/pa...

Avenger411 wrote:
Hey.

7. Do that. I've done it, quite easy and less expensive. For me at the time, it was the best option.

Max

Out of stock on Newegg and Amazon. Amazon partners want $1600 for a card that retails for $1100. No thanks! I'd rather drop in the water cooler myself. I am no stranger to opening up video cards, or using a screw driver. I'll probably be doing the same as you. Thanks!

Korth wrote:
3-SLI TitanX would run at x16/x8/x8 (or just x8/x8/x8 with your Samsung 950 drive) ... I think you would get similar real-world (gaming) performance with 2-SLI TitanX running at x16/x16, especially since few games currently make good use of multi-GPU resources. It would certainly cost you less and open up more space for custom-cooling options, lol.

You should have at least 48GB main memory to sustain three 12GB TitanX cards at peak efficiency. 32GB is enough for two TitanX cards.

I thought that with PCIE 3.0 at 8x is more than capable for modern graphics card, with PCIE 2.0 relying on 16x more so. I could be wrong though. Some of the benchmarks I have seen for modern games there are moderate gains with a 3rd Titan X, especially at 4K, although diminished returns, and The Witcher 3 doing worse, driver related I would assume.

Do I really need 48GB of main memory to run at peak efficiently in 3-way SLI? I was not aware of this. I'll have to look into this further. Can anyone else chime in?

Qwinn wrote:
If you're going to splurge I'd strongly recommend getting a monitor that is 3D Vision capable, like the ROG Swift. I got it for the GSync, having no idea how amazing 3D gaming is. Trust me, it's nothing like the pathetic 3D you see in movie theaters. It's mind blowing, just a pair of goggles away from full virtual reality, with every blade of grass and raindrop at a different depth. You won't regret it... and frankly, your system would be overkill for anything in 2D anyway.

I also strongly agree going with 2 way, rather than 3 way SLI. You will have case issues and driver issues with 3 way that aren't worth the extra juice that youll hardly ever need anyway.

The above Asus monitor I mentioned is the new ROG Swift. I think it was released not too long ago. I'll consider a 2-way setup instead if I am to go with the ROG Swift.

Kotronas wrote:
They have prefilled gpu blocks too with the same plug, so you can just add them on the predator 360 loop without draining or filling. It looks like a good solution.

Hmm, I didnt see that. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks.

Nate152 wrote:
I use 3 way sli on my older maximus v extreme and 3 way sli scales great. I would say it has more to do with the game engine than drivers as to how well 3 way sli performs. In my opinion the only reason to go with the Rampage V extreme is if you're doing 3 or 4way sli otherwise I'd just plop two titan x's in the maximus VIII hero and save some cash towards your water cooling, a custom water cooling loop isn't difficult to install.

With sli the more gpu's you add the less performance increase you get.

2 titan x = 80% to 100% performance increase
3 titan x = another 50%
4 titan x = another 20%

This again depends on the game engine, some games scale better than others.

If you're going 4k you'll need all the gpu horsepower you can get and price to performance three titan x's would be the best bet. With the ROG swift 2560 x 1440 two titan x's would be plenty, in fact I'd probably go with 980ti's.

Here's a build I helped a member with a little while back, he got the BenQ BL3201PH 4ms 4k monitor and three titan x's. Here are some pics if you care to see.

You'll spend some serious cash on a custom loop such as this it's actually two loops.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?60778-The-Benefits-Of-Watercooling-the-Rampage-V-Extreme/pa...

This is great info, thank you so much. I am aware of the diminishing returns on the 3-way SLI setup, but wanted all the GPU power to run 4K, but I am going to think about maybe just doing 2-way if I decide to go with the 1440p monitor. I'll think about it. Thx

Korth
Level 14
Nearly double the fps performance on 2-SLI? I don't think most games actually scale up that well on 2-SLI (yet). Although I don't really know (I'm just running a 2-SLI GTX980 setup).

But DX12 promises to go a long way towards improving multi-GPU performance. And upcoming game engines are anticipated to optimize multi-GPU resources a lot better because SLI rigs have become quite common.

x16 PCIe bandwidth will be useful on a 12GB GPU card, x8 PCIe might get saturated too often.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
I'm really looking forward to driectx 12 and have high hopes for it.

With two gpu's it's anywhere from 80% - 100% performance increase depending on the game, it's the most you can expect, here's your 980 single gpu and in sli ,the first 2 scale well the last 3 not so much.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=%20sli%20vs.%20single%20gpu%20benchmarks&qs=n&form=QBVR&pq=sli%2...

Nate152
When the titan x was first launched NVidia had up on their site that 48GB was recommended or something like that. It's been changed to 8GB minimum and 16GB or higher as recommended , as far as I'm aware that's all you need for any titan x configuration.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

I've seen a couple reviews of titan x sli with 16GB of ram, here is one.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/81892-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-sli/

Korth
Level 14
The 48GB main memory requirement was based on NVidia's old recommendations, they now say 32GB will suffice. And Avenger's comment about averting the requirement with a page file makes sense.

I'm thinking that the 12GB buffer onboard the TitanX will sometimes need to completely flush, meaning that 12GB of data will be dumped and another 12GB needs to be instantaneously ready to transfer across the PCIe bus. PCIe 3.0 supports almost 1GB/s per lane, x8 would require about 1.5 seconds to transfer 12GB, x16 would require about 0.75 seconds. It's not the sort of situation which would happen too often, but it would happen often enough to be noticeable. Most actual RAM-to-VRAM transfers would involve much smaller chunks of data, at most several hundred MB or a few GB when GPU demand is highest. An SLI setup distributes the load (almost) evenly across all linked GPUs, so you'll see constant GB/s traffic across the PCIe 3.0 bus while the GPUs are actually working.

If main RAM isn't big enough to hold all the data at once, the system will need to shuffle things around through virtual memory (page/swap files) - too little RAM means frequent bottlenecks as things move on and off the SSD (and it still moves through the main processor, whether it's accessed through the PCIe bus or through the X99 DMI2 link, although DX12 promises to better localize GPU data onto the GPUs and to improve direct GPU-to-GPU communication across the PCIe bus, SLI bridges are not really capable of carrying TitanX amounts of data).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152 wrote:
When the titan x was first launched NVidia had up on their site that 48GB was recommended or something like that. It's been changed to 8GB minimum and 16GB or higher as recommended , as far as I'm aware that's all you need for any titan x configuration.

http://www.geforce.com/geforce-gtx-titan-x/buy-gpu

I've seen a couple reviews of titan x sli with 16GB of ram, here is one.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/81892-nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-sli/

Korth wrote:
The 48GB main memory requirement was based on NVidia's old recommendations, they now say 32GB will suffice. And Avenger's comment about averting the requirement with a page file makes sense.

I'm thinking that the 12GB buffer onboard the TitanX will sometimes need to completely flush, meaning that 12GB of data will be dumped and another 12GB needs to be instantaneously ready to transfer across the PCIe bus. PCIe 3.0 supports almost 1GB/s per lane, x8 would require about 1.5 seconds to transfer 12GB, x16 would require about 0.75 seconds. It's not the sort of situation which would happen too often, but it would happen often enough to be noticeable. Most actual RAM-to-VRAM transfers would involve much smaller chunks of data, at most several hundred MB or a few GB when GPU demand is highest. An SLI setup distributes the load (almost) evenly across all linked GPUs, so you'll see constant GB/s traffic across the PCIe 3.0 bus while the GPUs are actually working.

If main RAM isn't big enough to hold all the data at once, the system will need to shuffle things around through virtual memory (page/swap files) - too little RAM means frequent bottlenecks as things move on and off the SSD (and it still moves through the main processor, whether it's accessed through the PCIe bus or through the X99 DMI2 link, although DX12 promises to better localize GPU data onto the GPUs and to improve direct GPU-to-GPU communication across the PCIe bus, SLI bridges are not really capable of carrying TitanX amounts of data).

Here is a Titan X 3-way SLI benchmark that used 16GB of main memory:

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/6033/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-sli--3-way-sli--4-way-sli-review-ins...

Thanks for explaining. Im considering the 2-way setup if I go non-4K. However, would I be better off with a 64GB kit main memory if I were to go with a 3-way SLI setup, instead of the planned 32GB?

Nate152
My friend I helped went with ripjaws 4 32GB 3000MHz ram with his titan x 3 way sli and he says there are no problems. For gaming you want speed over capacity.

I haven't heard Nvidia say you need more than 16GB for sli or 3 way sli so I would think 32GB would be more than enough.

Korth
Level 14
I'm actually trying to sell some 4x8GB DDR4-3000 kits right now (here), shoot me a PM if interested. (Hope this doesn't violate forum rules, lol, but mods can edit/delete if it's inappropriate.)

I think the 32GB DDR4-2400 kit you've chosen would definitely suffice for two TitanX cards and probably never bottleneck three TitanX cards in real usage (although 32GB might impede performance on hyperspecific benchmarks).

[/Korth]

Nate152 wrote:
My friend I helped went with ripjaws 4 32GB 3000MHz ram with his titan x 3 way sli and he says there are no problems. For gaming you want speed over capacity.

I haven't heard Nvidia say you need more than 16GB for sli or 3 way sli so I would think 32GB would be more than enough.

Korth wrote:
I'm actually trying to sell some 4x8GB DDR4-3000 kits right now (here), shoot me a PM if interested. (Hope this doesn't violate forum rules, lol, but mods can edit/delete if it's inappropriate.)

I think the 32GB DDR4-2400 kit you've chosen would definitely suffice for two TitanX cards and probably never bottleneck three TitanX cards in real usage (although 32GB might impede performance on hyperspecific benchmarks).

Yeah. I went with the 2400MHz kit because XMP profiles for anything higher than 2400MHz (or is it 2666?) boosts the BCLK to 125 which then caps M.2 to PCIe 2.0 speeds, according to this article for the 950 Pro on our RVE motherboards:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2015/11/11/samsung-ssd-950-pro-review/1

From 2400Hz to 3000Mhz I dont think there is that much more gaming performance to be gained. Although someone correct me if I am wrong. I am merely going from what bits of information I have gathered.