cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New High End Build, seeking comments, advice, opinions

BeltFed
Level 7
I have been off from playing PC games for the last year or so, and having a PC that is approx 10 years old, whose video card took a dump recently, I am looking to put my wallet down on a high end personal build. I am not experienced at all with overclocking, but have been doing some research and watching instructional videos/guides, and plan on overclocking for this build. I wanted to put this on here to get comments, corrections, opinions, advice, or concerns from more experienced and savvy community members.


  • Monitor: Acer XB321HK 32" 4K 60Hz IPS G-Sync 4ms... or... Asus PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 144-165Hz IPS G-Sync 4ms
  • Motherboard: Rampage V Extreme
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Case: Thermaltake Core X9
  • CPU: 5960X (plan to overclock to ~4.5 following careful instructions)
  • CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX
  • GPU: 3 x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan X Hybrid (been having a hard time finding this card without ridiculous price gouging, I might end up buying three standard Titan X's and installing EVGAs closed-loop water coolers.)
  • Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2400Mhz
  • Hard Drive: Samsung 950 Pro Series 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Power Supply: Corsair AX1500i 1500W ATX12V


I considered 3 x GTX 980 Ti Hybrids, but that 12GB VRAM is pretty tempting on the Titan X, it would help with higher texture mods on games, and I dont plan on upgrading from this build for quite some time, so I need a bit of "futureproof".

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Update: After plenty of great feedback, I think I have decided to revise my build.

I am leaning more towards keeping my old Dell 3008WFP 2560x1600 60Hz 8ms monitor, and therefore going with 2 x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrids, instead of the 3 x Titan X Hybrids. The reason for this is that I would really like to go 4K, however, I think I would rather wait until 4K supports higher than 60Hz refresh rates, preferably 120Hz, which requires DisplayPort 1.3, before making the jump to 4K. And hopefully with NVIDIAs Pascall GPU right around the corner bringing it to life in 2016.

This means going cheaper on the GPUs and monitor now, to leave room for upgrade in the future once 120Hz 4K is doable. I would be having to upgrade sooner than anticipated, but I think it would be worth the time. This plan should keep me going in the mean time.

Thank you all for the great feedback. Nothing is final yet, so everything is subject to change. :Update
800 Views
35 REPLIES 35

Kotronas
Level 9
Ek predator 360? With option to buy blocks for the gfx to add on the system! It is a good solution. Check it out

Kotronas wrote:
Ek predator 360? With option to buy blocks for the gfx to add on the system! It is a good solution. Check it out


I was trying to stay away from custom water loops since I am just barely getting into overclocking. The CPU and GPU coolers are all closed-loop. I think I would be too afraid at this time to venture into custom water cooling. But I'll look into the Ek predator. Thanks

Edit: Just looked it up, I assumed the EK predator was an open loop. It looks pretty nice! Ill look into it further

BeltFed wrote:
I was trying to stay away from custom water loops since I am just barely getting into overclocking. The CPU and GPU coolers are all closed-loop. I think I would be too afraid at this time to venture into custom water cooling. But I'll look into the Ek predator. Thanks

Edit: Just looked it up, I assumed the EK predator was an open loop. It looks pretty nice! Ill look into it further


They have prefilled gpu blocks too with the same plug, so you can just add them on the predator 360 loop without draining or filling. It looks like a good solution.

BeltFed wrote:
I was trying to stay away from custom water loops since I am just barely getting into overclocking. The CPU and GPU coolers are all closed-loop. I think I would be too afraid at this time to venture into custom water cooling. But I'll look into the Ek predator. Thanks

Edit: Just looked it up, I assumed the EK predator was an open loop. It looks pretty nice! Ill look into it further


With the $ yer planning on investing a custom loop is yer best bet at top performance. They aren't hard at all.

You should look at EKWB for in the box setups and Case Labs for a S8. Yer gonna want at least 2x360 rads to keep the temps in check and get a J513 5960x if you can. I have 2x360 and a 240 in mine clocking a 5960x and one to two 980Ti all over clocked nicely with no temp issues at all.

SS
Case Labs S8
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
i7 5960X
EKWB XTX360 kit +1 XTX360 & XTX240
10x MassCool fans on a Lamptron FC5 6 Channel 30W LED Fan Controller V3
32GB Geil Potenza 3000Mhz
2x Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
WD 7,200 Hybrid 2TB
ASUS Blu-Ray RW
Gigabyte 980Ti G1 EKWB full block
Acer XB270HU monitor
EVGA 1200 P2
Razor 7.1 phones, Death Ader & Ultimate KB
Madcatz Panther XL SteveO modded

Perko wrote:
With the $ yer planning on investing a custom loop is yer best bet at top performance. They aren't hard at all.

You should look at EKWB for in the box setups and Case Labs for a S8. Yer gonna want at least 2x360 rads to keep the temps in check and get a J513 5960x if you can. I have 2x360 and a 240 in mine clocking a 5960x and one to two 980Ti all over clocked nicely with no temp issues at all.

SS


I'll have to look up how to custom water cool further. It is something I didnt want to get into at this time but I know I will eventually get sucked in. I didnt think that the temps for AIO closed-loop individual water cooling systems would be too bad. Thanks for the feedback.

Avenger411
Level 10
Hey.

7. Do that. I've done it, quite easy and less expensive. For me at the time, it was the best option.

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Korth
Level 14
3-SLI TitanX would run at x16/x8/x8 (or just x8/x8/x8 with your Samsung 950 drive) ... I think you would get similar real-world (gaming) performance with 2-SLI TitanX running at x16/x16, especially since few games currently make good use of multi-GPU resources. It would certainly cost you less and open up more space for custom-cooling options, lol.

You should have at least 48GB main memory to sustain three 12GB TitanX cards at peak efficiency. 32GB is enough for two TitanX cards.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
3-SLI TitanX would run at x16/x8/x8 (or just x8/x8/x8 with your Samsung 950 drive) ... I think you would get similar real-world (gaming) performance with 2-SLI TitanX running at x16/x16, especially since few games currently make good use of multi-GPU resources. It would certainly cost you less and open up more space for custom-cooling options, lol.

You should have at least 48GB main memory to sustain three 12GB TitanX cards at peak efficiency. 32GB is enough for two TitanX cards.


Hey Korth,

That is only if he has no pagefile, otherwise pagefile does the job but it might not be "as fast" as direct memory. I have a titan x with 16gb and my benchmarks are much higher than many and i have had no trouble while having pagefile enabled. While pagefile disabled i bsod'ed in 10min in a recent game...

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Qwinn
Level 11
If you're going to splurge I'd strongly recommend getting a monitor that is 3D Vision capable, like the ROG Swift. I got it for the GSync, having no idea how amazing 3D gaming is. Trust me, it's nothing like the pathetic 3D you see in movie theaters. It's mind blowing, just a pair of goggles away from full virtual reality, with every blade of grass and raindrop at a different depth. You won't regret it... and frankly, your system would be overkill for anything in 2D anyway.

I also strongly agree going with 2 way, rather than 3 way SLI. You will have case issues and driver issues with 3 way that aren't worth the extra juice that youll hardly ever need anyway.