cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Bios chip still no post 00 error

betaman10
Level 9
Hello,

When I first received this motherboard I made the mistake and did copy bios 2 to 1 and bios 1 wouldn't post and just gave a 00 error. I bought a new bios chip flashed for the Rampage V Extreme and put it in and tried to boot from bios 1 and still the same issue. I then tried resetting the bios no luck and then flashing 0802 via the port on the back still no luck. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it or do I just hope bios 2 never has an issue.

Thank you,

Dan
717 Views
18 REPLIES 18

Praz
Level 13
Hello

If the chip was not purchased from ASUS I suspect it is not programmed correctly. RMA the board.

Asus would not sell me a chip after waiting over a month for a response I got this.

Hello Dan,

I apologize for the delay in this response, our emails are at a higher volume than normal. Unfortunately, we do not offer to sell the requested part. You may use Amazon or Google to search for the part if desired or speak with Product Support to discuss in/out of warranty options at 888-678-3688. I apologize for the inconvenience.


We appreciate your feedback. Please take a moment to rate your customer experience by clicking on this link:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MMHW2R6



Thank you,

ASUS eStore Customer Service

855-755-2787

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Asus do not sell parts only way to get a new chip is to RMA, Did you buy your new chip off ebay ? your the 2nd person with this problem best to wait longer for a US seller to start selling them.

LiveOrDie wrote:
Asus do not sell parts only way to get a new chip is to RMA, Did you buy your new chip off ebay ? your the 2nd person with this problem best to wait longer for a US seller to start selling them.

Hello

ASUS does sell part including BIOS chips through the eStores. Doubtful that a chip for the R5E would be available this soon after launch though.

andy9999
Level 7
Call me crazy but I did have the same problem, also subsequently with a replacement BIOS chip off ebay. I did BIOS 1 --> BIOS 2 update, it got stuck on "BIOS updating don't touch" I left the board overnight and no progress. Restarted everything and BIOS 2 screwed up, could get it to wander half way through POST but that was it. Ordered a new BIOS chip, stuck that in, Q code 00. Got very frustrated as did not particularly want to RMA the board so got an IC programmer. Dumped the BIOS 1 to a backup, checked it was ok and it was. Then burned it to the new chip I had received - - same issue QCODE 00. Then finally read the manual on the Winbond chip itself and found needed quad transfer mode on, burned again with QE bit set to 1, and hey presto it worked both on the old BIOS 2 chip and the new chip I got. Still think there is a bug in BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 copy, used EZFLASH a lot on a RIVE with zero issues in both directions, first time I used on R5E hit the problem, BIOS update just stalled. And clearly the BIOS 2 chip is ok.

andy9999 wrote:
Call me crazy but I did have the same problem, also subsequently with a replacement BIOS chip off ebay. I did BIOS 1 --> BIOS 2 update, it got stuck on "BIOS updating don't touch" I left the board overnight and no progress. Restarted everything and BIOS 2 screwed up, could get it to wander half way through POST but that was it. Ordered a new BIOS chip, stuck that in, Q code 00. Got very frustrated as did not particularly want to RMA the board so got an IC programmer. Dumped the BIOS 1 to a backup, checked it was ok and it was. Then burned it to the new chip I had received - - same issue QCODE 00. Then finally read the manual on the Winbond chip itself and found needed quad transfer mode on, burned again with QE bit set to 1, and hey presto it worked both on the old BIOS 2 chip and the new chip I got. Still think there is a bug in BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 copy, used EZFLASH a lot on a RIVE with zero issues in both directions, first time I used on R5E hit the problem, BIOS update just stalled. And clearly the BIOS 2 chip is ok.


I instincly knew it must be the programming fault because I had tortured many other bios chips before.
So is it fair to say, we should update with usb stick through bios? just to be safe.
Can you explain this "quad transfer on" feature to the ebay seller? I got same replacement chip with same error but he refunded me later. Also I think they are clueless about what's going on.
Asus R5E 0802
Intel 5960x @4.0
Gskill 32GB 2666MHz x 2
Seasonic 1000W Platinum

andy9999 wrote:
Call me crazy but I did have the same problem, also subsequently with a replacement BIOS chip off ebay. I did BIOS 1 --> BIOS 2 update, it got stuck on "BIOS updating don't touch" I left the board overnight and no progress. Restarted everything and BIOS 2 screwed up, could get it to wander half way through POST but that was it. Ordered a new BIOS chip, stuck that in, Q code 00. Got very frustrated as did not particularly want to RMA the board so got an IC programmer. Dumped the BIOS 1 to a backup, checked it was ok and it was. Then burned it to the new chip I had received - - same issue QCODE 00. Then finally read the manual on the Winbond chip itself and found needed quad transfer mode on, burned again with QE bit set to 1, and hey presto it worked both on the old BIOS 2 chip and the new chip I got. Still think there is a bug in BIOS 1 to BIOS 2 copy, used EZFLASH a lot on a RIVE with zero issues in both directions, first time I used on R5E hit the problem, BIOS update just stalled. And clearly the BIOS 2 chip is ok.


How much for the bios chip lol ? i will send you my dead one after i get your reprogrammed one.

LiveOrDie wrote:
How much for the bios chip lol ? i will send you my dead one after i get your reprogrammed one.


I was thinking the same after two ebay sellers unlisted their bios chips right after I bought them. Now I'm thinking of buying a bios programmer, since plain chips are cheap (3-5 bucks). Programmers cost between 5 to 30 bucks.
Asus R5E 0802
Intel 5960x @4.0
Gskill 32GB 2666MHz x 2
Seasonic 1000W Platinum

LiveOrDie
Level 11
How much did the IC programmer cost? more than a new bios chip is my guess?