cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Explanation on pciexpress Version

Pleot
Level 8
Hello,
In the sequence of reading another post describing problems with usb 3.0 I came to a doubt, could someone explain?

This is what my chipset info looks like - there is the usb 3.0 controler installed so I guess it is right,

What I would like to know is why the pciexpress version shows 2.0 when the version of the motherboard is 3.0. I know the GFX card is working 3.0 since I have tested in another occasion, so what is the explanation for this? Showing version 2.0 like in the above pic?
5 REPLIES 5

Axle_Grease
Level 7
PCI-E 2.0 functionally is provided by the Intel X99 PCH to the various components listed. It's weird that Aida lists an ASM1142 USB 3.1 host controller on my own R5E instead of an ASM1042 USB 3.0 host controller shown in the manual. My own RVE is the original USB 3.0 version. Wish I could read what's on the chip. It's obscured by a large I/O port shroud. Well, anyway, the pic doesn't show the PCI-E 3.0 slots. PCI-E 3.0 functionally is provided by the CPU.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Pleot
Level 8
My board is the r5e /u3.1 expansion card

strange yours not having 3.1 and showing references to it...

Axle_Grease
Level 7
It's partly my misreading. The entry shown is "PCI-E 2.0 x1 port #7 In Use @ x1 (ASMedia ASM1142 USB 3.0 xHCI Controller)." ...which I now strongly suspect is due to a firmware upgrade I did a while back. Should be an ASM1042. No biggie.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Pleot
Level 8
So if I understand well those entries refer to components that somehow use bandwidth related to pci-e but do not need to have anything in the card slots,

And the entry that is signalled as empty? the number one? What does it refer too? What should be running there?

Axle_Grease
Level 7
Yes. As to the second question, I don't know. Both my R5E and R2E show no device connected to port #1.