cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard or CPU Dead?

Gib007
Level 7
Hi all,

Last night I had been using my computer as any normal day for the last year and a half since I built it. No problems whatsoever. Today I wake up, switch it on and it would only stay on for a second before switching off automatically. I unplugged the PSU for a few minutes, plugged it back in and this time it would start but it wouldn't boot at all (no POST).

The QLED code displayed is 00 and the CPU LED behind the 24-pin power connector is on solid red. Nothing comes out of the speaker plugged into the motherboard. I have disconnected all SATA devices, removed the graphics card and sound card and removed all four RAM sticks. The computer is now just the CPU, the CPU cooler and the motherboard (with the PSU of course).

Nothing I do appears to fix this. I have tried resetting the BIOS and even flashing it to the latest version via the dedicated ROG Connect button as per the motherboard manual. Switching BIOS to BIOS 2 doesn't fix it either.

I think it may be time to RMA something, but I'm not 100% sure if to RMA the motherboard or the CPU. It's either one for sure. Past experience tells me the CPU is the culprit because NOTHING is processed and the lack of RAM doesn't make the motherboard complain. What do you think?

My motherboard is the original Rampage V Extreme and I had been running BIOS version 3101 for a few weeks now without a hitch. My CPU is an Intel Core i7-5820K. Thank you in advance!
10 REPLIES 10

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Gib007 🙂 I'm pretty sure you know the answer and I concur with your findings. 😞

Unfortunately Qcode 00 is a difficult one to determine and usually involves a benchtest outside the case.
As the CPU_LED is lit then, its as you say either MB or CPU and my bet its the CPU. Your going to have to check both.

In other situations where iv'e encountered Qcode 00, Iv'e benchtested starting in minimalist state, then added one component at a time checking my Qcodes as I go till the culprit is found.
Its not always the CPU or MB and can be the PSU. If you haven't got parts to swap out then RMA both.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Gib007 🙂 I'm pretty sure you know the answer and I concur with your findings. 😞

Unfortunately Qcode 00 is a difficult one to determine and usually involves a benchtest outside the case.
As the CPU_LED is lit then, its as you say either MB or CPU and my bet its the CPU. Your going to have to check both.

In other situations where iv'e encountered Qcode 00, Iv'e benchtested starting in minimalist state, then added one component at a time checking my Qcodes as I go till the culprit is found.
Its not always the CPU or MB and can be the PSU. If you haven't got parts to swap out then RMA both.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, it's hard to know which it is but my diagnoses tell me it's most probably the CPU. I called Intel and they immediately sorted out an RMA for me. I sent off the CPU earlier today so hopefully I get a replacement soon enough. I will post here once I receive it and test it.

If it still doesn't work with the new CPU, it's the motherboard so I would request an RMA for that. Let's hope it's just the CPU - I can't be bothered to wait for two RMAs! 🙂

MeanMachine
Level 13
Yea downtime is a pain and happens to us all at times. Quality control these days sucks.
Good Luck and let us know what happens.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

meankeys
Level 13
Gib007 sorry to hear about your rig. Intel has one of the best tech support I have ever had to deal with. They will take good care of you. Did you try a different PSU?

Thank you, I will do! 🙂

Indeed, I was very impressed with Intel. Phoned them up and they sorted it all out over the phone, with the RMA information e-mailed a few minutes after. Then when it came to posting the CPU, they paid for DHL Courier both ways. Certainly cannot complain - they have excellent customer service.

Asus was quick to respond too but they think it's probably the CPU so since I've started the RMA on that already, I may as well wait to receive the replacement.

Regarding trying a new PSU, I unfortunately don't have another spare I can try. I thought about it, but I honestly think this is a CPU/motherboard issue (tending more towards CPU). All things can fail, of course, but I've found PSUs to be very resilient. Mine is an EVGA Supernova G2 1000W PSU that's only one and a half years old.

meankeys
Level 13
Some times small fluctuation in voltage can play havoc on a motherboard. Once you get your new cpu hopefully everything is A ok but if not try a PSU first.
Good luck

Good news! I received the new CPU today and it's working great! 😄

jdpg265
Level 7
I went through this myself recently. After buying and returning a second of everything from Newegg to test (less processor), It was the CPU that went bad. Good news is Intel does cross shipping and are very helpful. I had my 5960x in 24 hours. Another thing I tried was the Intel Processor Diagnostic tool, it comes in three flavors. One if you can get windows to boot, the other if you can get a Linux usb drive too boot and the final (which I used ) is a UFEI bios version that runs as the bios.

TSportM
Level 11
Gib007 wrote:
Hi all,

Last night I had been using my computer as any normal day for the last year and a half since I built it. No problems whatsoever. Today I wake up, switch it on and it would only stay on for a second before switching off automatically. I unplugged the PSU for a few minutes, plugged it back in and this time it would start but it wouldn't boot at all (no POST).

The QLED code displayed is 00 and the CPU LED behind the 24-pin power connector is on solid red. Nothing comes out of the speaker plugged into the motherboard. I have disconnected all SATA devices, removed the graphics card and sound card and removed all four RAM sticks. The computer is now just the CPU, the CPU cooler and the motherboard (with the PSU of course).

Nothing I do appears to fix this. I have tried resetting the BIOS and even flashing it to the latest version via the dedicated ROG Connect button as per the motherboard manual. Switching BIOS to BIOS 2 doesn't fix it either.

I think it may be time to RMA something, but I'm not 100% sure if to RMA the motherboard or the CPU. It's either one for sure. Past experience tells me the CPU is the culprit because NOTHING is processed and the lack of RAM doesn't make the motherboard complain. What do you think?

My motherboard is the original Rampage V Extreme and I had been running BIOS version 3101 for a few weeks now without a hitch. My CPU is an Intel Core i7-5820K. Thank you in advance!

Hi does the yelloish pci lanes lighs light UP ?

1ª boot the board again and conect a fan to a few fan headers see if the fan spins !

2º Remove the CPU from the socket and try booting again the 00 code will of course be present conect a fan to header if it works and the pci light come on the board should be OK

3º Try booting whith the CPU on , no heatsink if it does no head up , you will feel it the CPU is dead

glad its sorted out but the above procedure can 95% of times indicate the at least the CPU is dead

cheers
Rig1 - 14900KS - P112 - E88- MC86- Pcore 6.0/6.2/6.3 Asus Z690 Maximus Extreme - Ecores 4.7 - 48GB TForce 7200#64;7400ddr5 - MSI Suprim X RTX 4090@3070mhz - 24gb memory speed - Powerby corsair Ax1500i - Corsair1000d@custom Loop Rig2- 10920X@4.9 - Aorus X299 gaming 9 - gskill 3200@3600 - Zotac RTX 2080Ti - Powerby CM1200 - Noctua NHD15 black - Corsair 900D