cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might get this board and have a few questions! PCIe SSD's, dual GPU's and more..

Beany
Level 7
I'm thinking of getting this board and have a few questions... hope someone can help! 🙂

1. Can a Samsung SM951 PCIe SSD be booted from on this board? If it can, then Is there any setting in the BIOS that i will have to enable first?

2. If i have dual GPU's and a PCIe SSD installed will both the GPU's still run at PCIe x16 speed? Or will it be x16 and x8?

3. Any issues with using 64GB RAM? (and if anyone can recommend some cheap but fast/good overclocking RAM kits with 8GB modules i'd appreciate it!)

3. Is there any problems with the Rampage V Extreme? BIOS, compatibility, hardware? I had two Rampage IV's and they both randomly died. It was a known issue with those boards, and the second died out of the warranty period :mad: I don't want to go through that **** again. I don't expect this from a very expensive premium board so if it happens again i'm never buying another Asus mobo.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino
Level 15
1. Yes. You can find a FAQ in my signature for any further questions.

2. Depends on which PCIe slot you plan to use for the PCIe SSD.

3. As long as your CPU's IMC is capable to run 64GB. I recommend the G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000) Memory Kit Model F4... kit.

4. No.

Thanks Chino, much appreciated. Useful guide too! 🙂

So after changing the settings from Auto to M.2 in the BIOS, if i then spam F8 on post screen, it should have a UEFI Windows installation option for the Samsung SM951 right?

And what PCIe slots would i need to use for x16 + x16 for the GPU's? I'm guessing slots 1 and 3... Then the PCIe SSD should run at x4 @ PCIe 3.0 speed?

Lastly, does the G.SKILL Ripjaws overclock well?

Chino
Level 15
The UEFI prefix will be in front of your installation media (CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/USB pendrive).

You GPUs will go in Slot 1 and Slot 4 and they will run at x16/x16. Your PCIe SSD will go in Slot 6.

Unfortunately, the overclocking potential varies from kit to kit. But considering it only uses 1.2V, I guess you might get to the 2400MHz to 2666MHz mark with a slight increase in voltage. Hard to say.

Beany
Level 7
In this Anandtech review it's showing to use slots 1 and 3:

I'm guessing you're including the black PCIe slot though, which would make it the 4th slot.

Chino
Level 15