cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Memory rec for this board

mindsignals
Level 9
Can someone please recommend or link memory for this mobo that they recommend? I am going to try replacing my gskill 2666 due to continued horrible system instability (both at boot up and multiple crashes a day) in hopes it is memory related, although memory tests have not failed to date (not run exhaustively, but reasonably in line with Chino's guides). In case it doesn't resolve it, I want to buy the memory where I can return it, at least with restocking fee. System specs are current in my profile.

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

Qwinn
Level 11
I think I have the exact same gskill and it's worked quite well for me. Are you having this instability at stock? And if it's unstable in games only, try it with just 2 way SLI, a lot of folks have been reporting issues with 3 and 4 way SLI on the nvidia boards. In fact, go 2 way sli on one monitor, just to eliminate those issues as the cause. Maybe GSYNC off too.

mindsignals
Level 9
Issues are worse in surround, but still very bad. And it actually improved significantly under Windows 10 (from almost unbearable to horrible). For example, when booting, I have to reset the cmos or allow it to fail through to windows recovery (3 failures)...then it will usually boot.

I am running everything at default speeds. I have actually tried underclocking the 3 x 780ti DC II OC (which has typically not made a notable difference) and have tried running memory primarily at default and at 2666.

I am pretty much at the point where I am about to scrap this computer as there are days I will spend an hour or more just trying to get it to boot up. I cannot even sell it to someone in good faith for anything but parts if I do at this point. It has proven to be very disappointing except for the fact that it kicks a** when it does work properly.

Since I have the 700-series, I cannot run 2-way SLI for 3 x PG278Q monitors. Were I to do it over now, I would get two 900-series as the heat buildup in that mobo with 3 cards is very problematic from the limited space between 3 cards. It runs about 10 C hotter with 3 cards versus 2 cards.

Qwinn
Level 11
Ok... what qcodes are you getting on the motherboard when it crashes during boot? Does it make it to AA? And do you have the extra EZ plugs plugged in for extra power to the PCIe lanes?

mindsignals
Level 9
Most recently, it was an Ad, but I haven't looked lately as I'm so used to it occurring regularly. I just tried several tweaks from @Pleot for eventual voltage on the dram timings to see if that might help also on a prior thread of mine last month.

I have both 8 and 6 pins connected for each of the three cards. Oddly, instead of showing in the BIOS 16, 16, and 8 lanes, it only shows 16, 8, and 4 lanes. That has always nagged at the back of my mind as the very first time ever (and only that very first time), I thought it showed 16, 16, and 8, but I have never been able to get the BIOS to indicate other than 16, 8, and 4 since then (15 months ago).

Qwinn
Level 11
The EZ plug I'm talking about doesn't go directly into the video cards, rather, it's a molex connector goes into the motherboard down below where the bottom video card is. See page 1-42 in the manual. It really should be used if you're using more than 2 video cards.

Pleot
Level 8
Ram problems with irrgular boot and post can be originated by the dram voltage beiing to low. Thats where eventual voltage comes in handy, because the system will use the the dram voltage just to post and boot (can be high - mine is over 1.4), and all the tweeking can take place in the eventual voltage because it is the value system will use after the boot and post - if set to auto eventual voltage will be the same as dram voltage always.

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Your system agent might need to be tweaked for your kit and your CPU.

As for where to buy Amazon is a good option, and make sure your seller is Amazon not a third party, at least it is in the UK, but check their returns policy before you buy at your location.

But go for a QVL listed kit from the manual by part code.

If your getting AE/AD Qcodes booting and its not progressing past them, check your USB devices, and pull out everything cept the keyboard, then do several reboots and check if or not it boots correctly when you insert each USB device, also try moving Mice and possibly your KB to the 2 USB 2 ports under the PS2 connector.

But also some adjustment to your System Agent might help you.

But turn off any overclock if your running one while your examining your kit.