cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue: RVE10 M.2 link speed is PCI-E Gen 2 with Samsung 960 Pro 1TB

Godofmosquitoes
Level 7
Motherboard model: Rampage V Edition 10

UEFI Version: 1003

CPU: 6950X

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB: Corsair CMK64GX4M4B3000C15 64GB

GPU: 2x GTX 980 Ti connected to ports PCI-E 16 slots 1 and 3.

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Samsung 960 Pro 1TB, Crucial MX300 2TB, Seagate Enterprise Capacity 4TB, 3x Seagate Archive 8TB

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

USB Devices (model/version number): Logitech G502, Steelseries Apex (keyboard), HTC Vive (USB connection)

Monitor: Acer XB270HU


CPU Cooler: Thermalright Le Grande Macho RT

PC CASE: Silverstone Fortress FT02

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro - Microsoft Activated yes/no? Yes


Drivers Installed (include version): Intel chipset driver 10.1.2.80 WHQL, Samsung NVME driver 2.0

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: Corsair Link 4.3.0.154

System Overclocked (provide details)? 4.2GHz (100x42), VCore adaptive 1.25V, Sys Agent 1.3V, VCCIO CPU 1.05V Voltage 1.15V, DRAM 1.35V, XMP 3000MHz, CPU Strap 100MHz, BClock 100MHz.


Issue

Hi, I am using the RVE10 motherboard with the Samsung 960 1TB NVME drive. However, Samsung Magician reports that the drive is only connected with PCI-E Gen 2 x4. Even though the motherboard supports PCI-E Gen 3 x4 for the M.2 port. I confirmed via benchmarks, that the drives speed is indeed capped at PCI-E Gen 2 x4 speed. Is this an issue on behalf of Samsung, or does the issue lie with the M.2 support in the current motherboard BIOS?
14,791 Views
19 REPLIES 19

RxL-Soul
Level 7
I had the same problem with my 960 EVO with Gen 2 x 4 and it also not picking up the drive have you tried enabling CSM? this is how i had to get mine running in Gen 3 x 4 with a 4.5GHz oc on my 5930k on the RVE not the RVE10
l i7 5930k | Rampage V Extreme | Corsair H110i GTX | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz | EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ acx 2.0+ | EVGA SuperNova 750w G2 | Samsung 960 Evo 250GB l Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 1 TB WD Red | Corsair 900D |


http://valid.x86.fr/3dxmew

RxL-Soul wrote:
I had the same problem with my 960 EVO with Gen 2 x 4 and it also not picking up the drive have you tried enabling CSM? this is how i had to get mine running in Gen 3 x 4 with a 4.5GHz oc on my 5930k on the RVE not the RVE10


Thanks 🙂 I'll try enabling CSM. It's under boot options, right?

curban422
Level 7
Yes, but it should be enabled by default.

curban422 wrote:
Yes, but it should be enabled by default.


I see. When I return home after Christmas, I'll have a look. Otherwise we have to wait for a BIOS update from ASUS to fix it? Or perhaps change from CSM to UEFI, to see if that helps?

JustinThyme
Level 13
If you installed already with CSM disabled you cant just change it. CSM should have nothing to do with it and should be disabled for UEFI. Mine wouldnt even install on an M2 with CSM enabled.

Also dont trust samsung magician. Run crystal marks bench and see what you get. Should look something like this in Gen 3 x4

Windows native NVMe drivers
61311


Samsung Nvme drivers.

61310


If you are using the old version of magician its not fully compatible with the 960 pro.



“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
If you installed already with CSM disabled you cant just change it. CSM should have nothing to do with it and should be disabled for UEFI. Mine wouldnt even install on an M2 with CSM enabled.

Also dont trust samsung magician. Run crystal marks bench and see what you get. Should look something like this in Gen 3 x4

Windows native NVMe drivers
61311


Samsung Nvme drivers.

61310


If you are using the old version of magician its not fully compatible with the 960 pro.


I have the latest version of Samsung Magician, and I have run crystal. I only get 1600-1700 in sustained read/write.

Edit: I am now actually in doubt if I use UEFI or CSM. I'll check when I get back home after Christmas. If the system lists the Windows Boot Manager as the boot option - that means I run UEFI, right? What happens then, if I change to CSM? Can I then change back to UEFI at a later date?

Menthol
Level 14
I have no issue installing on an M.2 with CSM enabled, Z-170 and X-99, on RVE the M.2 slot shares pcie lanes with the bottom X16 pcie slot, there is a bios setting that will change the bottom slot to 4 pcie lanes to assure the M.2 slot has 4 lanes but it should be at 3.0 regardless

tistou77
Level 13
For those who are in GEN2, you have set the Source Clock Tuner (Extreme Tweaking) in the bios ?
If so, go to AUTO
Sorry for my english 😄


Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
OS: Intel Optane 905P PCIe
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
For those who are in GEN2, you have set the Source Clock Tuner (Extreme Tweaking) in the bios ?
If so, go to AUTO


Thank you! I'll try that tomorrow 🙂