Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am a newbie to overclocking and I need help

Retired
Not applicable
I decided to buy a rampage v and i7 5960x
With corsair ddr4 2666mhz
I do not want to over clock my cpu I want to use it as normal
Currently I set xmp for bios but when I check the task manger I still see its at 3.24ghz what should do?
As I am in a total lost mode
Please help me thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15

AdamC
Level 10
XMP uses 125 strap so a 24 multiplier should give you 3000MHz. I believe that is the default 5960 speed. Probably you have 26 multiplier now, which will give you 3250 MHz.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks a lot so is xmp good?

AdamC
Level 10
Good for beginners. You will always get a better result if you set it up manually. You can use strap 100 if you set the dram timing and voltage manually. Then your cpu will be at rounded number like 3000 3100 3200 3300 depending on the multiplier you set.

Retired
Not applicable
AdamC wrote:
Good for beginners. You will always get a better result if you set it up manually. You can use strap 100 if you set the dram timing and voltage manually. Then your cpu will be at rounded number like 3000 3100 3200 3300 depending on the multiplier you set.

Thanks Adamc do u have any link where I can set manually for the best result without over clocking
I am using 5960x and corsair vengeance 16g 2666mhz cmk16gx4m4a2666c16
I see from other forum that the bench mark is not good when we set cpu strap to others expect for 100
Plz give me some guide thanks

Chino
Level 15
You'll find that it's easier to use the 125 Strap for memory above 2400MHz. Depending on the quality of your RAM and your patience to tweak it, running 2666MHz on the 100 Strap is possible.

Retired
Not applicable

So I just set like this?

Retired
Not applicable

Is my pc ok? Or is there any problem ?

zcrucifix
Level 7
Your volts are reasonable and memory is set at factory XMP, so if you are planning to run 24/7, it looks good. If you decide you want to tweak things down the road, you have plenty of room to do it.