cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Make The OC Panel Work On The Rampage V Edition 10

Chino
Level 15

The OC Panel is one of the niftiest device that has ever been invented to complement a motherboard. Overclockers love it because it lets them do on-the-fly overclocking without having to go inside the BIOS every single time. Hardcore enthusiasts love it as well since they can monitor the motherboard’s vitals in real-time. Frankly I don’t know how anyone can live without the OC Panel. Well, maybe you can, but do you really want to?

The OC Panel is normally bundled with the highest end ROG motherboards like the Maximus Extreme models or the Rampage models. So I know a lot of you are probably disappointed that ASUS didn’t decide to include it with their limited Rampage V Edition 10. But don't be disheartened. You can probably find users on eBay who are eager to sell you theirs for a minimal price. Getting the OC Panel to work with the Rampage V Edition 10 motherboard is as simple as flashing a specific firmware for it. So let’s do it!

Determining Which OC Panel You Own/Bought

Before we start with the flash process, it is of utter importance to identify which OC Panel you own. Flashing the wrong firmware can brick certainly the device. Upon inspection, original OC Panel has a simple white ROG logo on the cover while the OC Panel II has a translucent red ROG logo on the cover that lights up when the motherboard is turned on.

If you bought the OC Panel from a third party seller, it would be wise to examine the sticker that’s on the back of the device. Better safe than sorry.

Checking The OC Panel’s Firmware

In order to check your OC Panel’s firmware, you need to have it connected to the motherboard and your system must be on so that the device is getting power. Then proceed to push and hold the OK and Clear buttons for approximately 7 seconds. The current firmware will appear on the display.

For the OC Panel and OC Panel II to work with the Rampage V Edition 10, they need to be running firmware 0603 and 0109 respectively. If your device complies with that requirement, then you’re good. If not, proceed to download the Firmware Update Tool along with the firmware that corresponds to your OC Panel.

Flashing the OC Panel/OC Panel II Firmware
This step might be different depending on which motherboard you own. You need to enter your BIOS and disable the Intel xHCI Mode option. This option is normally found under the USB Configuration section in the Advanced tab.

After you’ve disabled the option, press F10 to save your changes and exit the BIOS. Your system will restart and go on to load your OS.

When you’re inside Windows, locate the compressed Firmware Update Tool and Firmware files. Extract both. If you look inside the Firmware folder, you will see another compressed file with a HEX termination. Extract that file into the Firmware’s root folder like the image below.

Run the Firmware Update Tool with administrator privileges. Then click the button and look for the file that has the H00 termination. Click the Start button to initiate the flash process.

The process should finish in a matter of seconds. If the flash is done correctly, you will see the EC_Mode Pass! message at the end.

Time to go back into the BIOS and change the Intel xHCI Mode option back to Smart Auto.

Press F10 once more to save your changes and exit the BIOS. Enjoy your newly flashed OC Panel/OC Panel II on your Rampage V Edition 10.

21 REPLIES 21

Hey Chino, after you i firmware update this OC panel to work with my Rampage V Edition 10 mobo. Will it still work with my Maximus VI Formula mobo?
Or do i need to purchase 2 of these for each mobo.
Great info FYI

Hello Chino, and thank you very much for this great info. I am curious as to what is the Intel xHCI protocol and why do you have to disable it before flashing the firmware on the OC panel? Also what are the differences between OC I and OC II, and why is OC II preferable? eBay has many OC I panels for sale but few OC II. Many eBay offerings have no cable, but replacement cables of various lengths are available from www.moddiy.com.

Chino
Level 15
Yes, it will still work fine with previous motherboards. I swap mines from motherboard to motherboard all the time. lol

Chino wrote:
Yes, it will still work fine with previous motherboards. I swap mines from motherboard to motherboard all the time. lol

For oc panel 2, is there any fan speed register profile? Always runs at full speed. Every time you turn on and off, you need to reset it.1vb

Chino
Level 15
It's a requirement to be able to update it. There shouldn't be a big price difference between the OC Panel and OC Panel II so it makes sense to get the newer revision. Besides the glowing ROG logo, the OC Panel II also has 2 extra thermal sensors.

Hello frist off thanks Chino for this guide i successfully install OC panel and firmware but all numbers on oc panel are 0 , 0 , 0,
i can change menus but all numbers are 0, 0, 0, 0
any help please 😞

I got OC panel with white logo so i install 0603
on end i had EC_Mode Pass!

after restart i set Intel xHCI Mode to smart but numbers are still 0, 0 , 0 , 0 and wont change.

Chino
Level 15
Disconnect your OC Panel from the motherboard. Clear your CMOS. Reconnect the OC Panel. Then turn on your system. See if that works.

Anyone have a guide on how to use this properly? Thanks.