cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with BIOS error

samarlian
Level 8
So i flashed my bios on wednesday from 2101 to 3101
The problem i have is once pc is shutdown and powered off at the wall. When i turn it back on it goes to dos screen and says

Bios is updating
do not shutdown or reset the system to prevent system boot failure ... it then reboots 3-4 times saying this and then reboots saying

Please enter set up to recover bios
When raid configuration was built, ensure to set sata configuration to Raid mode.
Press F1 to run set up.

Once i have pressed F1 and entered bios then hit F10 the pc boots back into windows.

The usb stick with the R5E.CAP has been removed from the pc incase you think it was left in the rear and keeps trhying to install.
If i dont power it off at the wall the pc boots normal any ideas ???

Thanks in advance

Samarlian
21 REPLIES 21

drop4205 wrote:
Pull board from case and place on cardboard. Have cpu, cpu cooler, gpu, one stick of ram and hatddrive and see if it works to rule out short or bending of board in case. You have another psu to try? Any codes it stops on?

there is no shorts on the pc , as it worked fine before flashing this bios. Also if i dont power it down at the wall the pc boots up fine its only when i kill the power switch on the wall so the motherboard drains of power that the irritating reboots occur

red454
Level 11
I got the exact same situation - but I have not powered down at the wall as you say, so I don't know if mine will do the BIOS setup thing again. I am afraid to try! Anyway, this is what I posted last night in another thread (Random restarts with 3009 and 3101):

Something interesting happened to my system - tonight it rebooted on me and I got tired of it, so I shut it down and pushed the BIOS switch (to change back to my previous BIOS). I started the system and it said that it was updating the BIOS and rebooted 3 (maybe 4) times, and then went to the OS. I was a little nervous with all the rebooting, since I was expecting it to just fire up with my old BIOS.

So, I look at the LED and it is still showing the BIOS chip selected as the 3101. It is like I didn't push the BIOS switch button at all, and stayed on the 3101. I let it boot up and it has not rebooted for the last couple of hours at least. Not sure what happened.

For the rest of the night (last night) it ran fine - no random reboots. This morning it booted up fine, although I only powered it down last night and I did not kill the power at the wall.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

red454 wrote:
I got the exact same situation - but I have not powered down at the wall as you say, so I don't know if mine will do the BIOS setup thing again. I am afraid to try! Anyway, this is what I posted last night in another thread (Random restarts with 3009 and 3101):

Something interesting happened to my system - tonight it rebooted on me and I got tired of it, so I shut it down and pushed the BIOS switch (to change back to my previous BIOS). I started the system and it said that it was updating the BIOS and rebooted 3 (maybe 4) times, and then went to the OS. I was a little nervous with all the rebooting, since I was expecting it to just fire up with my old BIOS.

So, I look at the LED and it is still showing the BIOS chip selected as the 3101. It is like I didn't push the BIOS switch button at all, and stayed on the 3101. I let it boot up and it has not rebooted for the last couple of hours at least. Not sure what happened.

For the rest of the night (last night) it ran fine - no random reboots. This morning it booted up fine, although I only powered it down last night and I did not kill the power at the wall.

Think i will give the bios switch a try tonight, do you do the bios switch with the motherboard powered or turned off at the wall

red454
Level 11
Power is still on to the MB, but shut down through the OS. Then hit the BIOS switch and start up.

I have used the BIOS switch each time I have updated the BIOS so I always have the "old" BIOS available. Watch for the BIOS LED to shift to the other chip.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro

samarlian
Level 8
where is the bios led

Do you know where the two BIOS chips are? They are just to the left of the red USB 3.0 header at the bottom of the board. Just above the BIOS chips are the LEDs. The appropriate LED is next to the active chip. One should be lit up (yellow) when the board has power to it.

samarlian
Level 8
Ok i have changed it to bios 2 yellow light on 2 , then restarted the pc it rebooted 3 times saying Bios is updating do not shutdown or reset the system to prevent system boot failure
then it said
When raid configuration was built, ensure to set sata configuration to Raid mode.
Press F1 to run set up.

i checked the yellow light and it had switched itself back to bios 1

so hit F1 and then F10 to save settings and booted back to windows

My head is battered

samarlian wrote:
Ok i have changed it to bios 2 yellow light on 2 , then restarted the pc it rebooted 3 times saying Bios is updating do not shutdown or reset the system to prevent system boot failure
then it said
Press F1 to run set up.

i checked the yellow light and it had switched itself back to bios 1

so hit F1 and then F10 to save settings and booted back to windows

My head is battered

Just so you're aware, every single thing you listed there is absolutely normal and expected for an update to the 3101 BIOS. In fact, if any step there was missing, that would indicate a problem. (Other than possibly the BIOS lights switching, I never watched them during the process).

Qwinn wrote:
Just so you're aware, every single thing you listed there is absolutely normal and expected for an update to the 3101 BIOS. In fact, if any step there was missing, that would indicate a problem. (Other than possibly the BIOS lights switching, I never watched them during the process).

yes i know but for some reason when powered off at the wall , the bios was updating without a usb stick in.

When pc was on bios 1 was being used , but when its powered off at the wall for some reason the motherboard was switching its self to load bios 2 which has not been flashed.
So it would go through several recycles of rebbots and switch automatically over to bios 1 ( was annoying )

But all resolved now , think i will try and flash bios 2 to a older version like 2101.

samarlian
Level 8
Result i have fixed it , now that you pointed out the yellow lights i watched them. When the pc is on it was set too bios 1.
When i turned the pc off on windows shutdown its still on bios 1 then turned off the socket at the wall.
But when i turn the socket on at the wall and the motherboard charges up the bios 2 lights up. So i think its forcing it to switch to bios 1 as i dont think bios 2 has been flashed at any point.

So i switched the pc off at the wall again & when it turned it back on then i switched the bios back to bios 1, booted up to windows and powered back down and
switched off to see if it changed back to bios 2 afain YAHOOO it stayed on bios 1 tested it 5 times now and now more recycling reboots

Thanks good its sorted

Thanks everyone & red454 for the advice its much appreciated