cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Is 28 GB RAM unstable for Rampage V Extreme boards?

necroasus
Level 7
One of my RAM sticks recently died and I am now using only 7 x 4GB. Sometimes one stick isn't read and it will show I have 24 GB of RAM. Now having little to no knowledge of dual channels will this affect my performance? Should I cut down and run 16GB for stability/consistency?
I don't notice anythng off. That may be just me though.
2,816 Views
7 REPLIES 7

MaacK
Level 7
necroasus wrote:
One of my RAM sticks recently died and I am now using only 7 x 4GB. Sometimes one stick isn't read and it will show I have 24 GB of RAM. Now having little to no knowledge of dual channels will this affect my performance? Should I cut down and run 16GB for stability/consistency?
I don't notice anythng off. That may be just me though.


I have the rampage v edition 10 with 64GB of ram with no issues. Incompatible RAM sticks or faulty...

Korth
Level 14
Chances are seven of the DIMM sticks (or DIMM slots) work fine but you'll find one that does not.

Isolate and identify which DIMM stick (or DIMM slot) is bad by installing only one or a few at a time.

I've had 4x8GB and 8x8GB and 4x16GB installed in my R5Es, they work fine.

Is your memory listed on the R5E QVL? Is it rated as a proper/matched quad-channel kit?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Menthol
Level 14
Find out which stick or slot is dropping out, run even number of dram modules, you may be able to run tri-channel

Menthol wrote:
Find out which stick or slot is dropping out, run even number of dram modules, you may be able to run tri-channel



Will this help in performance with any real world or games applications? All sticks are read in HWMonitor/CPU-Z but not in other applications CCleaner.

Menthol
Level 14
We could debate the issue all day long, run some tests, either benchmarks, games or whatever you do daily and compare results is the best thing to do

Retired
Not applicable
Menthol wrote:
We could debate the issue all day long, run some tests, either benchmarks, games or whatever you do daily and compare results is the best thing to do


TS: Listen to Menthol, he have mounted more sticks in that mobo than all the members in this forum combined ..

A large amount of posts in this forum with that mobo and memory errors

Hmm, apprentice and +1200 points!! Sweet view from the kingpin?