cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! CPU's temperature gets hotter after every boot.

DWgia
Level 7
Motherboard model: Asus Rampage V Extreme
UEFI Version: 3301
CPU: I7 5960x
Memory kit: F4-3000C15Q-16GRK (4x4 GB).
GPU: 2x Titan X Hybrid (Maxwell).
SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: Samsung 850 Pro 512gb / Seagate 2TB 7200RPM SSHD.
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1600 P2.
USB Devices (model/version number): Logitech G910, G502.
Monitor: Asus VG248QE.
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GTX.
PC CASE: Corsair C70.
Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate (activated).
Drivers Installed (include version): All drivers are up to date, except IMEI and AI Suite are not installed.
Any third Party temp/voltage software installed: Corsair Link, RealTemp.
System Overclocked (provide details)? No

Issue:
Hello, my pc is acting very strange over the last month. After I left it unused for about 3 months (unplugged), now the CPU just keeps getting hotter after every boot. By that i mean the average temp between each boot is higher than the last. Everything was running at stock settings (optimized default).
Sorry for my bad english but i will try to explain this the best i can:
+When first turned on (after 3 months), temp was at around 36C idle and mid 60s when in load.
+ 2nd boot: 38c at idle and high 60s in load.
+ 3rd boot: 40c at idle and 70c in load.

I figured its a bit hot. So i tried to install Corsair Link to read the cooler's pump speed. When i finished installing, CPU's temp suddenly went to 70-80s. Turned off the pc -> cleared cmos -> boot windows and temps still at 70-80s. Then i opened Corsair Link, changed profile to performance and then back to quiet then things are back to normal.
After that i tried to update the bios (from 1701 to 3301) then Clear CMOS, load optimized default. Nothing changed. CPU still get hotter after every boot.

So i decided to do a clean up that havent been done since Fall 2015.I reapplied thermal paste (coolaboratory liquid ultra), clean off all the dust on fans and radiators. Now notice how the temps change again.
+ 4th boot (after clean up): temps at 30c idle and never past 53 in load. I was very happy.
+ 5th boot: 33c at idle, 56 in load.
+ 6th boot: 37c at idle, low 60s in load.
+ 7th boot: 38c at idle, mid 60s in load.
+ 8th boot: with just 1 google chrome tab, RealTemp 3.7 software on screen, im seeing 44C (CPU load is at around 1.5%). It never reach 40 like this when i first bought it in Fall 2015. Im pretty sure it will reach high 60s to low 70s when in load this time. By "in load" i mean when playing Battlefield 4 after 30mins. Fans curves remain the same for every boot. CPU cooler's pump speed is always at max (3100 rpm, reading from Corsair Link).
I have found a temporary solution:
**Turn off pc --> Turn off PSU's power switch --> Unplug power cable --> pushed the power button on the case and on the motherboard a few times (i guess this is to discharge any remaining electricity left) --> turn it on again after 1-3 hrs. Now temps are back to 30c when idle and never goes past 53 in load. After that, cpu's temp just keeps getting hotter after each boot like before. And temps are always back to 30 idle when i try to do the method mentioned above.
So in conclusion, if i dont unplug and push the power buttons on the mobo and on the case before i turn the pc on again, cpu's temp will keep getting higher. Im very frustrated about what i should try next.
Core voltage remains stable at 0.744V-0.948-0.978V.
Even though everything is at stock settings, i've noticed that my CPU only reach 3298 Mhz but not 3498 Mhz when playing BF4. I see the core speed 3498 Mhz number pop up in a blink of an eye very rarely on RealTemp software. But it never get to and stay stable at 3498 Mhz when gaming.
I'm suspecting the motherboard since i've heard this board have had all kind of issues since release. However, in my case, this is the first problem i have with it since when i bought it.
Below is a screen capture showing stats by the time im typing this.
https://flic.kr/p/MFRx29
Please help!!
Any advise on how to fix this problem would be very appreciated.
Thank you very much.
CPU: i7 5960x @stock
Mobo: Asus Rampage V Extreme (bios 3301)
RAM: 16gb (4x4) 3000MHz Gskill ripjaws 4 series @ stock
CPU cooler: Corsair H110i GTX
GPU: 2xEVGA Titan X Hybrid (Maxwell)
PSU: EVGA super nova 1600 P2
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
23 REPLIES 23

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hey come on! where did I say that? that would be perfect friction-less flow.

A good loop with good flow will show only slight difference across block...something you would need very good sensors to detect.

If your loop order matters you have bad flow and a bad loop.

Alluded to here.

And loop order does matter to some extent, even with the best rads, pumps, blocks, and fans one can buy. Mine all have a disparity in temps, even with the best pumps run in series and plenty of airflow thru the rad.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Now I'm not sure if the cooler is defective or the description 😮

There should be zero difference between the temps of the two pipes ....there is no cold pipe and no hot pipe. The system comes to equilibrium with ambient temperature as a whole and with normal flow there will be an all but immeasurable difference between in and out temp across the block.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'm shocked...just goes to show how crappy AIO cooling is then...of course there will be a difference across any "block" but this should tend to fractions of a degree as flow is optimised...

5 degrees difference is terrible...with that kind performance loop order would start mattering...

I will no longer consider AIO cooling watercooling 😮

The bigger the IO temp disparity, the better the rad.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'm shocked...just goes to show how crappy AIO cooling is then...of course there will be a difference across any "block" but this should tend to fractions of a degree as flow is optimised...

5 degrees difference is terrible...with that kind performance loop order would start mattering...

I will no longer consider AIO cooling watercooling 😮

Do you do your testing with the system off? lol 😄
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Meh...figurative the zero...I meant you should not be able to feel a difference with your hand between in and out of block...this has always meant problems with cooler flow in my experience...shown by the "all but immeasurable..."

I haven't put sensors in my loop since I first started this watercooling lark but back when I did there was so little difference the sensor errors/vagaries covered up the difference across my blocks so can't be more than 2 degrees I'd venture to say... nothing I could feel touching the loop...the main point for the OP

But maybe I am wrong assuming this of AIO cooling...though I have had a H100i...and the only time I felt temp differences is when it died...and sent me on my "proper" watercooling quest...

red454 wrote:
Thinking out loud - if your system is one big loop with multiple blocks, then why couldn't you put a small radiator in between the blocks to even out the hot spots - assuming your pump is adequate?

Because flow is important and each block would add restriction. If it was simply add more rads get better cooling we'd all have 7 480s and loop temp near ambient but of course that is not the case and you have to balance restriction against cooling surface area etc. Good pump pressure and flow rate and as low loop restriction (high flow block design...as the block makers always like to advertise) as you can, make for good water cooling loop. An infinitely long radiator would remove all heat you put into it but would have so much restriction there would be no flow from your D5 and your CPU would throttle...after a couple of minutes