cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EK-FB ASUS R5-E10 Monoblock RGB

Brighttail
Level 11
EK came out with the new RGB monoblock for the RVE10 here at https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-r5-e10-monoblock-rgb-edition.

Now we can argue whether you like the chrome on it or whether you like the full clear/black version.

What I'm wondering is I have never used anything other than a CPU block. I have looked over the instructions and it doesn't seem too difficult to install.

What I'm wondering is how worthwhile is it? I overclock and am wondering if I can get any more out of my CPU by using the monoblock over just a CPU block.

Can someone who may have some experience with this help out?

Thanks,

BT
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
I had the original Monoblock for the R5E. It was amazing performance wise. Installation was easy as EK's instructions are very clear and easy to follow. 🙂

So you can have an idea of more or less the improvement: The Benefits Of Watercooling the Rampage V Extreme

Brighttail
Level 11
OOH this is what i was looking for. Well I may have to do this.. 🙂

I noticed that in the instructions tho it says, "does not work with Asus I/O shield." WTF does this mean? It shoudln't even touch the I/o Shield.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Brighttail wrote:
OOH this is what i was looking for. Well I may have to do this.. 🙂

I noticed that in the instructions tho it says, "does not work with Asus I/O shield." WTF does this mean? It shoudln't even touch the I/o Shield.

Don't pay too much attention to the instructions and such. It was the original Monoblock for the Rampage V Extreme. I only linked the thread so that you can see what kind of performance increase you can expect from going with the Monoblock.

To avoid confusion, you should consult the Monoblock manual for the Rampage V Edition 10.

Brighttail
Level 11
The new instructions say that I have to take off an I/O shield. EK sent me this picture with the heatpipe in the upper left circled and said, "You can remove or alter it to fit"

My problem is that the heatpipe is NOT an I/O shield. So I sent back the picture below saying do I have to get rid of or modify the items I circled in Red or Blue or is it really the heat pipe I have to remove?

I'm a little concerned if I have to remove or alter a heatpipe.

Any ideas?

Chino
Level 15
I haven't disassembled the Rampage V Edition 10 yet. But from what I can see, the heatsink design looks identical to the Rampage V Extreme. If that is so, that heatpipe you circled in green is connected to the I/O heatsink and VRM heatsink. What EKWB wanted to say is that in order to install the Monoblock, you will have to remove both heatsinks. That was also the case with the original Monoblock for the Rampage V Extreme.

In the past, some users wanted to keep the I/O heatsink for aesthetic reasons so what they did was saw off the heatpipe. That way you only need to remove the VRM heatsink to install the Monoblock. EK was trying to convey that if you desire to keep the I/O heatsink, you need to cut off the heatpipe manually.

Brighttail
Level 11
Ah I see.

So when you take off the two screws from the top capacitors, will the heatpipe come off with that or are there more screws?

I don't mind losing the black portion I circled at the top, but the part that goes over the I/O with the RGB lighting, I really don't want to lose that part.

So if the heatpipe connects to that black cover, I would have to saw it off?

Brighttail wrote:
Ah I see.

So when you take off the two screws from the top capacitors, will the heatpipe come off with that or are there more screws?

I don't mind losing the black portion I circled at the top, but the part that goes over the I/O with the RGB lighting, I really don't want to lose that part.

So if the heatpipe connects to that black cover, I would have to saw it off?

You'd need to unscrew the ones that hold the I/O heatsink to the motherboard as well so that the whole piece (I/O heatsink, heatpipe, VRM heatsink) comes off.

Brighttail
Level 11
Well I went ahead and ordered this. After I did so I noticed that the item on the EK site has an illuminated EK logo on the PCB area.

On line when they were promoting it, you can see it has the Asus logo. I have written to them asking WHICH logo is actually on the monoblock. I don't want the EK one, so I'm hoping that we can choose, if not I gotta cancel the order.

Here is what it looks like in the web publishing vs the one on their website. I wish I noticed this earlier. 😞

59760 59761

Brighttail
Level 11
Well crap.... Loos like i'm doing some sawing. 😞

Also EK got back to me and said, "Since you pre-ordered we will allow you to keep the ROG Asus Logo."

I found this strange. Believe me I'm grateful, but it is obvious that they have changed their design to have an EK loga that is illuminated instead of an ROG. It is also obvious they made several ROG versions.

Maybe in the future they'll sell the ROG version as an "exclusive" or something.