cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead CPU Rampage V Extreme Unidentified LED

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Anyone help on this?

I have just had a CPU die on me. It was a rather fine 5960X. It was a good OCer...tested but not benched since it's too hot here at the moment...

So...it was running at stock when it died. Switched off fine one evening...dreaded code 00 the next morning.

When I switched on that morning a very bright red LED lit up next to the 4pin ATX connector on the RVE...it is not listed in the manual....the PCIe lanes also lit up but not the correct ones for the occupied lanes. And indeed one of them was flasing?

Any clue from ROG Illuminati (pun intended) to help me understand what happened?

The LED next to 4pin ATX only lit up on first fatal boot attempt...has not come on since....strange PCIe light behavior has been same.

Not the board...have a new CPU in it now and all working great....

:confused:

EDIT: 29/Oct

Have replaced motherboard with 3.1 version of same; night and day difference in behaviour; there is definitely something wrong with VRM of affected board and I think it probable given the silence in this and other similar threads that the board killed the CPU by overvolting on startup

EDIT:31 August 2016

In the interests of truth/knowledge...lack of either...

Board worked OK with other CPU, though had slightly strange startup still...now not sure if board VRM was killer or FIVR on CPU was killer or combination or none of the above...

Have seen multitude of similar complaints...but all different hardware, OCing, behaviours etc etc. very difficult to pin down.

ASUS, no comment, which is not on....
84 REPLIES 84

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Wow, no one willing/able to help?:confused::(

LED circled...seems to say PLED1 on other side of 4 pin ATX.....just looking for a clue as to what happened...would like to know in what circumstances this LED turns on...if my PSU is a danger if Board VRM is a danger etc etc.

Thanks

This happened to me too, last Saturday evening computer was working totally ok (processor 5930k). Then on Sunday morning when tried to start computer, nothing happened just black screen, motherboard was powered up. Opened case and tried again, red cpu q-led was on and code AF. Brought CPU to store and it went to RMA. Wonder what killed CPU suddenly as everything been working pretty great for last 9 months.

GepardiX wrote:
This happened to me too, last Saturday evening computer was working totally ok (processor 5930k). Then on Sunday morning when tried to start computer, nothing happened just black screen, motherboard was powered up. Opened case and tried again, red cpu q-led was on and code AF. Brought CPU to store and it went to RMA. Wonder what killed CPU suddenly as everything been working pretty great for last 9 months.

Same here I **** up my CPU I did over kill my CPU now she won't reboot **** ****... Don't go over power limit.

Menthol
Level 14
Good morning Arne, you may have to give it a little time I just logged on and there's 12 pages of spam to sift through, been like this for several days now. I didn't even know there was an LED in that location. That is a damn shame CPU's that clock like that one did are far and few between. Bet it's making you nervous to turn your system off now. I hope Raja has some incite for you

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
GepardiX! sorry to hear that! They do sometimes die... seen many a thread about it but always at the back of the mind is "how?" especially if they are running stock...

Hope your replacement is swift in arriving!

Menthol...morning!...or is it evening to you by now? Weird...must be a region/server issue...no spam here...but OK if you guys are inundated I'll be patient :rolleyes:

Amazing as it seems I have been graced with a CPU that looks to be equally as good or even better....which makes me doubly nervous firing up my system...:eek:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Well, I am still left in doubt so will have to retire my ASUS board in favour of my SOC Champion for now...

Seems a shame that an ASUS customer can come here for help and not receive any in 4-5 days

Seems even more of a shame that someone who has asked two questions here in 3 years and meantime contributed a lot to the site is left hanging when they need a bit of help

😛

drop4205
Level 12
I know how you feel Arne. How you like the gigabyte board?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

drop4205 wrote:
I know how you feel Arne.

Oh yeah? Sorry to hear that!

The Gigabyte board is a nice bit of kit...well engineered and feels like quality even handling it. The BIOS is new to me so comparing it to my RVE at the moment is difficult...but I'm going to swap over to it tomorrow and spend some "quality OC time" and maybe even get some 3400 RAM for it...
Time will tell if it beats out the RVE...a very fine board. The SOC is figuring in a lot of the top OC results....jury is out if it makes as good a daily driver as the RVE which does really well about town as well as out on the open road....but if I can't trust the board or get any info that is not worth much...

🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
drop4205 wrote:
I know how you feel Arne.

Oh yeah? Sorry to hear that!

The Gigabyte board is a nice bit of kit...well engineered and feels like quality even handling it. The BIOS is new to me so comparing it to my RVE at the moment is difficult...but I'm going to swap over to it tomorrow and spend some "quality OC time" and maybe even get some 3400 RAM for it...
Time will tell if it beats out the RVE...a very fine board. The SOC is figuring in a lot of the top OC results....jury is out if it makes as good a daily driver as the RVE which does really well about town as well as out on the open road....but if I can't trust the board or get any info that is not worth much...

🙂

EDIT: Would still like an answer on this please. What is this LED and when/why would it light up?