cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crucial Memory BLS8G4D240FSA.M16FAD vs xxx.16FAD issues

swtsc74
Level 7
I'm looking for advice on memory timing and configuration options. I've read the "don't buy kits" and I'm well aware that this exact memory isn't on the QVL, but it's only one character off.

I've got a Rampage V Extreme, Intel i7-5960X and 32GB of Ballistix BLS8G4D240FSA.M16FAD. From what I can tell it's two kits of 16GB and Yes...I'm having issues.

At first, with all 4 sticks, the system would run fine and then randomly freeze, only a hit on the reset button or hard reset would bring it back. Occasionally while I was setting static values rather than accepting the AUTO ones, it would boot and warn me that "overclocking failed". To nip this in the bud, I locked in the processor at it's rated specs, and the memory too.
It seemed stable for a while, about three weeks, then one morning it powered up to a black screen, hard reset and "overclocking failed"...but I'm not overclocking. Anything. Much aggravation ensued and I tried many tweaks, checked the memory, one at a time, two at a time, three, then all four, and set at the rated speeds it all tested fine. Eventually it got real stubborn and at 2400 speed, it would only show a max of 24 out of 32.

Called tech support, went through the usual suspects and gave them the model number of the memory, tech support recommended XMP mode and so I did so. A setting that I likely tried about a hundred times, but at last I finally set my self up with XMP and hard set the speed to 2133. All 32GB were seen and the system seemed more stable.
However it still freezes, just takes longer to do it. And usually freezes when nothing is happening, maybe I have an RDP window open, maybe open Chrome...but eventually it'll freeze...probably while I'm writing this!

So ultimately, I need advice on timing if it's possible, something to help ease the issues. I'm sure that if I went with three sticks or even 2 and settled for less it would be fine and that's likely what I'll have to do, but if there are any advices to working with this issue I'd appreciate it.

I've tried setting the primary timing to that which is supported for the 16FAD model, but I'm running the M16FAD model and I can't find any suitable info on that but will look harder.
I'm guessing and hoping for confirmation, that the module that I have is a kit, where the 16FAD is a single stick...and should I have 4 sticks of 16FAD I wouldn't have the problem that I'm having with 4x M16FAD...assuming it's a kit of 2 x 8.

Any advice? I'd like to state, I'm not interested in overclocking the memory or the processor, however I've also seen where overclocking to a certain degree can actually improve performance...so in that case, I'd try anything.
17 REPLIES 17

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Fully clear the motherboard's UEFI. Test with one set of the memory. When done test with the other set. Does testing pass with both sets using default settings?

Praz wrote:
Hello

Fully clear the motherboard's UEFI. Test with one set of the memory. When done test with the other set. Does testing pass with both sets using default settings?

Yes, that was in my troubleshooting efforts. In a 2 stick 16GB and full rated specs set it's golden.
It's only when I combine both sets, and by this time I've lost track of which stick came in which set...they are not marked as such. I have marked them and stayed consistent with those attempts and all seems to be fine. Even when I use only three, I can use the rated specs.

Chino
Level 15
I would assume you've read Raja's Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview. 😛

Did the store you sell a single 32GB kit or two 16GB kits? I tried googling the serial number you listed but it got me no where. Also is your system stable when you're running them at the default 2133MHz? And is your motherboard running the latest BIOS?

Chino wrote:
I would assume you've read Raja's Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview. 😛

Did the store you sell a single 32GB kit or two 16GB kits? I tried googling the serial number you listed but it got me no where. Also is your system stable when you're running them at the default 2133MHz? And is your motherboard running the latest BIOS?

I did read the Don't Combine, and the store sold me two 16GB Kits, or at least that's how they came. I know what you mean about not being able to find the part number...that's what the BIOS sees for a part number but the part number on the sticks are BG112SV.28 and BLS8G4D240FSA.M16FADM 2400MHz 16-16-16-39 which is the current timing.
I am running the latest BIOS, even asked if there was a beta for it.

swtsc74 wrote:
I did read the Don't Combine, and the store sold me two 16GB Kits, or at least that's how they came. I know what you mean about not being able to find the part number...that's what the BIOS sees for a part number but the part number on the sticks are BG112SV.28 and BLS8G4D240FSA.M16FADM 2400MHz 16-16-16-39 which is the current timing.
I am running the latest BIOS, even asked if there was a beta for it.

I've done a look up and I believe that your shop did not sell you a kit.

Source: http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/product-flyer/ballistix/productflyer-crucial-ballisti...

BLS8G4D240FSA is a single 8GB stick. I'm afraid your store dumped you with 2x of these stick and told you that it is a 16GB kit.

Kits have a different part serial that identifies them as a kit.

For example, check out the quad channel 32GB kit from the PDF link I've provided. The part serial is: BLS4K8G4D240FSA

The 4K8G I have highlighted in bold+underline meant 4x8GB. This makes it a 32GB kit, they are tested from factory as a kit and supposed to work as a kit. 4K is because it is a quad channel kit. Dual channel kits will be 2K followed by 4G or 8G depending whether the sticks are 4GB or 8GB.

Chino
Level 15
If what avsquare is stating is correct, the shop sold you 4 individual sticks which is worst than combining 2 kits. Technically you're combining 4 1x8GB kits. lol

Chino wrote:
If what avsquare is stating is correct, the shop sold you 4 individual sticks which is worst than combining 2 kits. Technically you're combining 4 1x8GB kits. lol

And got really crappy ones, lol. running at 2400MHz and 1 stick not detected, good lord.

avsquare wrote:
I've done a look up and I believe that your shop did not sell you a kit.

Source: http://www.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/pdf/product-flyer/ballistix/productflyer-crucial-ballisti...

BLS8G4D240FSA is a single 8GB stick. I'm afraid your store dumped you with 2x of these stick and told you that it is a 16GB kit.

Kits have a different part serial that identifies them as a kit.

For example, check out the quad channel 32GB kit from the PDF link I've provided. The part serial is: BLS4K8G4D240FSA

The 4K8G I have highlighted in bold+underline meant 4x8GB. This makes it a 32GB kit, they are tested from factory as a kit and supposed to work as a kit. 4K is because it is a quad channel kit. Dual channel kits will be 2K followed by 4G or 8G depending whether the sticks are 4GB or 8GB.

Chino wrote:

It was infact two kits of 16GB, they came together in the same clam shell. Packaged as 'kits'. From what I am interpreting from the QVL, the BLS8G4D240FSA.16FAD would be single 8GB sticks, but I have M16FAD, which isn't on the QVL. I'm also seeing that it supports the 16FAD in 2,4,8 stick configurations...and the timing of that stick is 16-16-16-40...where the timing of the one I have is 16-16-16-39...so different.

avsquare wrote:
And got really crappy ones, lol. running at 2400MHz and 1 stick not detected, good lord.

I'm sorry guys, if you've read what I'm stating, you would have read that it sees all sticks...when downclocked.

I'm really looking for help making what I have more compatible with some people who may have experience with timing...not looking for post-mortem on the shop's lack of research.

What I'll likely end up doing is changing out this memory down the road with a compatible unit....

But the "don't buy kits" mentality conflicts with don't buy individual sticks??? Because they are 4 x 8GB kits...not helpful. Thanks anyway.

If you have read Chino's reply you would have realized that your understanding is incorrect.

Raja's thread is "Don't combine memory kits", not don't buy kits. It's a heaven and earth difference there. Don't combine kits meant that if you require a total of 32GB RAM, buy the 32GB RAM kit, but not buying 2x 16GB RAM kit and hoping that they would work together. These kits are sold as a kit because they have been tested at factory that they are working together at the advertised frequency and timings at the very least. Combining kits doesn't guarantee that it will work. Which is the same as combining 4 individual sticks doesn't guarantee that they will work (that's why Chino said "technically you are combining four 8GBx1 kits")

There is a thread in this very subforum, and also found in Chino's signature area that you should try:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53306-DDR4-3000-Setup-Guide-For-Rampage-V-Extreme

Try tweaking system agent voltage to see if you can make them work together. If not then yes, if returns are allow then you are better off returning them. I am pretty sure they aren't kit sets at all. The tech spec info released by Crucial themselves can't go wrong, yours is clearly indicated as single sticks. Go to the website of which ever brand of RAM you wish to purchase, and check out what is the serial number of the kit of the capacity you wish to buy, go to the shop and ask exactly for it.