cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condenser mic really quiet

Jbonnett
Level 8
Hi All,
I just purchased this mic and I find that I have to speak quite loudly along with having my mouth very close to the mic, I have phantom power. It is connected to my pc using the XLR to 3.5 jack via phantom power, I have set max gain and boost (as that is the only way I can get any audio). Any ideas on how to rectify this problem.

All soundstage features are turned off within the software.

Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

FireRx
Level 11
in your Mic settings make sure you microphone boost is above +10. I set mine to +20 and don't have any issues. raise your recording volumn to whatever level you feel comfortable with. 🙂
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

The boost is at the max and I have to be very close to the mic. The problem is this mic should be quite sensitive at gain of 30 and boost of 0.

FireRx
Level 11
yeah something is wrong there. did you check your setting in windows sound? with that boost at max you should be getting bad feed back. I set the boost to 10-20+ and increase the recording device volumn til I start to hear my own voice, then back off a bit til I can't . sometimes the realtek and Windows sound menus do there own thing
Intel Core i9 103900KS
Asus Maximus Z790 Extreme [bios 1801]
LG (34U97-s) Monitor 3440 x1440
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Windows 11 Pro
64gbz Memory

I just tried a USB sound card and that works perfectly, although I should get the same performance if not better via the motherboard. It's only a cheap USB sound card... I tried the Windows one too, I have a feeling it may be a driver problem as all I've had is driver problems since I purchased this motherboard.

Cheers for the help anyway.

Techotic
Level 7
You might want to consider getting a cheap USB audio interface for your XLR mic, like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2i2. It would greatly improve the recording quality, and you won't have any driver issues.

I had this issue too... I ran through three different mics (I favour compact ones) I suspected it might be the extension lead so tried two of those and tried without..

It just seems really quiet on this board, even with everything fully cranked up, and various settings of the echo / line level settings

I went with an El Cheapo Ebay USB mic and bypassed the on-board sound altogether (I use BOSE USB audio too)
Gotterdammerung: Rampage V Extreme | Intel I7-5930K | 32GB Corsair Dominator 2666 | EVGA GTX 980 SC x3
Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB | Corsair Neutron XT 960GB | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair 900D | EK RVE Monoblock | EK 980 GTX Blocks

GOOSE: STRIX Z390I Gaming | Intel i9-9900KF | 32GB Vengeance RGB 3200 | STRIX Vega 64 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB x2
Corsair SF 750 | Phanteks Evolv Shift X | EK Z390I Monoblock | EK Strix Vega 64 GPU Block

Koutport
Level 7
Jbonnett wrote:
Hi All,
I just purchased this mic and I find that I have to speak quite loudly along with having my mouth very close to the mic, I have phantom power. It is connected to my pc using the XLR to 3.5 jack via phantom power, I have set max gain and boost (as that is the only way I can get any audio). Any ideas on how to rectify this problem.

All soundstage features are turned off within the software.

Thank you in advance.

I have the same problem with supreme Hi fi front panel only if i connected the headphones with mic...If i connect to rear jacks everything ok! The proble is with the suprime fx look at this link for more informations:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88642-Supreme-fx-hi-fi-rve10-not-work-on-windows-10
Thanx
George
Μobo:ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI-CPU:Intel Core i9-14900K-Cooler:EKW-EK-KIT RGB 360-RAM:G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5-6400 CL32 64GB(4 x 16 GB)-GPU:ASUS GeForce® ASUS ROG STRIX GAMING RTX-3080Ti-#43; EKW-EK-KIT 480 RGB -PSU:Corsair HX1200i:HDD:Samsung M2 980 PRO with heatsink 2TB+Samsung 990 PRO 2 TB RAID-0 +Asus RAIDR Express 240GB- Case:Thermaltake View 91 Tempered Glass RGB Editionx

Koutport wrote:
I have the same problem with supreme Hi fi front panel only if i connected the headphones with mic...If i connect to rear jacks everything ok! The proble is with the suprime fx look at this link for more informations:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88642-Supreme-fx-hi-fi-rve10-not-work-on-windows-10
Thanx
George

It's the same no matter what connector I use, I just seem to have to use the USB sound card. Which I feel considering this board has high quality sound built in is a bit of a joke.